CREDIT CARDS!!! | FerrariChat

CREDIT CARDS!!!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Schnelles Fraulein, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Schnelles Fraulein

Apr 1, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    Schnelles Fraulein
    this is ridiculous. i can't get another freakin credit card, and my credit is horrible, supposedly. how am i supposed to clean up my credit if no one will give me a card?! i dont even have anything bad on my credit report, except one overdue credit card that doesnt even go above $300 owed. i have a $13000 car loan tho, thats been paid on time for 2 years, but does that count for anything?! NOOOO. this is so annoying. no one will give me anything, except those cards with the security deposits, and im not paying $200 for a credit card. even my own bank wont give me one.. i dont even want a big one, just a little one with a little $100 limit.. i'm good for it.

ok, enough ranting for me. but seriously.. the credit world is a little ridiculous at times.. one mistake and you're ****ed for life.

2. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Join the club, babe... :)

3. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Gary Green(Burg)(Stein) to the rescue!

DL

4. TimN88

TimN88 F1 Veteran

Jun 12, 2001
    Northeast
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I dont like spending money i dont have, so i only have a debit card for now.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LMAO...!!!

6. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    What's your credit score?

Dispute the negative on your records, then apply for a card. The dispute will serve 2 purposes:
    1. Hopefully, the negative will "go away".
    2. It will artificially bump up your score in the time frame that you are applying for a new card.

Other general advice...
    Get a card with 0% on balance transfers. Transfer all balances to it. Call up every card you have and ask for an increase in your credit line on every card. Higher credit lines help with the scores as well. Ask for a limit increase every 6 months. Never cancel cards. Regularly pay your bills on time; regularly check your report/score. Always dispute negatives. If disputing doesn't work, write a letter to the president of the credit card issuer, explaining the reasons why you didn't pay your bill on time, beg for forgiveness, and ask if he/she would make a one-time exception for you and remove the negative from your report.

I've played with the system for a while... went from a 623 FICO to a 763 in a little over a year. Mediocre credit -> incredible credit.

7. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Congratulations! You've completed the first step in the school of "Life-Enlightenment". It is disproportionately difficult to repair any damage we cause ourselves. But, the credit rating is an extremely important tool. It molds us all into efficient, responsible consumer bees. Work. Spend. Die. That's all the system wants us to do.

8. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I can't beleive one problem and you are screwed, unless of course you still have not paid off that card? if so can you blame someone for not lending you more money if you can't pay off what you currently owe

9. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    One problem can absolutely screw you. It takes 7 years for that one problem to go away on its own.

10. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Tim, I refuse to use a debit card. I don't give anybody direct access to my bank account. Nobody.

DrTax

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    In todays day and age, credit cards are fantastic. I have cards, that i can borrow enough to buy cars on, and they give you 0% interest for 6 months, with only a 30 or 40.00 transaction fee. Great to be able to have access to that kind of cash and not have to use your own money. If you have 2 cards like that, you would never have to finance a car, just flip between the 2, and never pay interest.

12. MikeW

MikeW Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Full Name:
    Mike Winston
    So why isn't there an Enzo in your garage?

13. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Does anybody have a Black Card?

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You still have to make the payments!!!!

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Funny you should ask that, i was just talking to my wife about that the other day!

16. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    Is the Black Card really worth it??

17. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    There is more to this story than we're hearing. One late card, countered with good car credit doesn't equal no more credit cards.

Join one of those credit watcher services (you can usually get a 30 day trial for free) and get the information from your credit report. What is your beacon score?

Ed

18. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Where do you go to dispute something on your credit report? Is there somewhere to dispute it that will go to all reporting companies?

thanks for any info

19. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Yeah, pull up the addresses to the credit bureaus and send them a letter explaining what is wrong and why. From that point they are suppossed to fix the problem and send you a copy of the fixed report.

20. enzoz

enzoz Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    Sales guy: "So how will you pay for your Murcielago SV sir?"
    Allan: "You guys take the Black Card?"

21. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Your problem runs deeper than just not being able to get a credit card. Your debt to income ratio is probably pulling down your credit score. Bite the bullet for one year and get a secured card.

Visit www.clarkhoward.com. This is a GREAT place to get a lot of these issues figured out, including a source for the secured card. If you have a greand in the bank, dump it on a card. You will be glad you did!

Per previous posts, one ding can kill you. Write to the reproting agencies. They HAVE TO list your dispute / notes / reasons to SPECIFIC items that ARE on your credit report.

Been there, done that. You will get through it all.

22. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Yes. Automatic upgrades EVERYWHERE (first class, suites in hotels, concierge etc.) Funny when clerks call Amex because they don't know what it is.

DL

23. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

I agree with peters.... suck it up and get the secured card, at least it will provide a means to repair your credit.

lessons learned!

24. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thats the idea!

25. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Darth,

Is it true you have to be offered one a la MTV special? I find that hard to beleive, I would think that with sufficient income and all card payments on time for many years, maybe not me (21) but at least my parents could get one no? What do you have to do, just spend TONS on credit?