360 Wheels on a 308QV | FerrariChat

360 Wheels on a 308QV

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by speedmoore, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Does anyone know if the 360 wheel and tire package fits on a 308?

Offsets? Could someone give me the back space measurements from the machined surface that bolts to the hub to the rim bead or outer edge of the rim front and back? Also the rim edge or total rim edge to edge width?

I have a Euro QV I'm currently restoring for myself.......when I'm not working on customer's Ferraris.............hope to work on it over the holidays as I'm OFFICIALLY closed ;-)

I think the wheels look killer and would allow me to upgrade the brakes and other cool stuff along with having some sweet tires including modern day slicks for track days.

I would really appreciate some help here...........or if anyone in Austin can loan me their 360 for an hour, I could bolt them on to check for clearances.

thanks

d

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
  3. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    NOW that's what I'm talking about. Brings the car into the future does it not?

Ok, I've got springs out the wazoo.....I thought I might have to go to a 2.25" spring. Good to know a 2.5" works too.

But what are IIRC adapters.....are you talking about wheel spacers to make the wheel go outboard?

Thanks

D

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    IIRC = If I recall correctly

and yes, adapters sort of = spacer (although an adapter is bolted to the hub and then the wheel is bolted to the adapter -- see the Hill Engineering site for examples). All the later cars have large "+" wheel offsets (like in the +40~+60mm ballpark) so you'd need at least 30-50mm spacers/adapters to put them on the +11mm offset 308 chassis.

5. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    50 mm? that's huge. Seems you would want to have a spacer bolt on permanently that had studs in the spacer and put a lug "nut" like the challenge cars. To have a bolt 4 plus inches long seems awful scary to me.

Hill's maximum spacer is 30mm

Help out there confirming this, please?

D

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    D -- Don't take my earlier post too literally. You might not need the full ~50mm since that assumes putting the tire centerlines in the same place (and you might not want to do that since the tire might stick outboard from the coachwork too much -- i.e., you might want to add more of the extra width to the inboard side rather than the outboard side). I was just trying to point out that probably in any case (of putting a 328-abs/348/anything later wheel on a 308), you'd need adapters rather than bolt-thru spacers -- hopefully Paul Sloan will divulge his set-up.

7. WaltP

WaltP Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Cape Canaveral/Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Walt P
    Chat member Mark Crost has put 18" wheels and lowered his 308 about 2". Check his car out in his profile.

8. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I mounted 550 wheel and use just spacers with longer studs. The front uses 25mm and the wheels go right on. In back though, the 10.5" wheel was a problem. To make the tire even with the outside of the fender, no spacer was needed, but I then had to move the lower shock mount in 1.62" even with the 2.5" springs. The car is lowered about 1" and nothing rubs. The tires are 225-40F and 285-35R.

9. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    David,

This was discussed on the old F-chat software. Unfortunately there looks as though there is a huge amount of posts that have been lost around August this year when Omar was looking at doing the same.

From recollection the fronts needed 15mm spacers and the rears needed 30mm to get the offset back to the +11mm for the 308.

I will respond to your email with some more information.

Steve - do you have the information of the 360 rims that I measured up? - This was in the posts that are lost on the old system.

Paul

10. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Paul -- Unfortunately, I didn't separately note that 360 wheel offset data.

11. 348paul

348paul Formula 3

Dec 27, 2002
    Kent - UK
    Full Name:
    Paul Hill
    Steve,

No problem - Rob just emailed me with another thread that had the info on.

The info that I have for offset for the standard 360 rims is

+32mm front
    +42mm rear

The above would relate to 20mm spacers on the front & 30mm spacers on the rear (in an ideal world!) but interference with the arch & suspension has to be taken into consideration due to the wider rims.

Paul

12. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Thanks Mk:
    Interesting you moved the shock pickup point. I'll take a look at that when I go back into the shop after Christmas. I assume you fabed some tabs and welded. Curious, moving inboard 1.62" did not put the upper mount into a bind?

Thanks Paul for helping out. Now that info leads me to the next step of getting a front and a rear (not useable) off a crashed car in a few days to mock up to figure out what I want to do. I'm used to doing this with BBS wheels for our race cars.....you can mix match wheel halfs and centers.......makes it easy.....I like the look of the 360 wheels though.

When I get them mocked up, I'll pass on the info as I see it.

Sounds very doable.....but still looking to chat with someone who has done the 308/360 combo.

D

13. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    That's what I said on my very first post in F-Chat - almost word-for-word...
    Paul's efforts still pay off in compliments, aye?

14. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    I can't find his profile, can you help?

15. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    "Thanks Mk:
    Interesting you moved the shock pickup point. I'll take a look at that when I go back into the shop after Christmas. I assume you fabed some tabs and welded. Curious, moving inboard 1.62" did not put the upper mount into a bind?"

No binding, but the A-arm needed to be cut a little.

16. Sloan83qv

Sloan83qv F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 8, 2001
    with BIG Dave M.
    Full Name:
    Little Dave M.
    Contact Nick at Nicks Forza Ferrari, he has provided me with custom made adaptors with all proper hardware to mount. He is a sponsor of FC. No guesswork no trimming just bolt on and go.

Paul

17. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    :) just go eh? :)
    like in get in your car and GO? LOL

18. speedmoore

speedmoore Formula 3

Apr 15, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    D Moore
    Cool, thanks for the photo.

19. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
  20. Mike C

Mike C F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 3, 2002
    Southeast USA
    Full Name:
    Mike Charness
    Yep, I've got one too, and also "GTB'd" the rear quarter window louvers. You can see a picture in my profile.

21. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003
    Do you have any more pics, like from an angle? I wan't too sure how it would turn out if I painted the roof (one of the reasons I was looking for an additional roof)...

-Wayne

22. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    Wow, speak about being late to finding the thread...

Anyway, as Paul has said, the needed spacers are a not to much of a challange. The front with a spacer should be a straight bolt, and the tire used a 225x40-18 or a 215x40-18. (which is better should be the subject of a soon to be started thread when I get more time :))

The rear is where the mess happens. Research says a 255 wide fits with no issues, aka no special 2.5 spring....now a 255 does fit on a 10 inch rim. (a 255x35-18 to be exact for 308/328s pre-ABS) In theroy it should mount up since the 255 tire is not as wide, and the 18 rim will give more room for the spring then in a 17in or 16in setup...

...I think. :p

I am going to find out. But am trying to locate to spare fronts of a 360 just in case (onto which i will mount diff. tires front and rear to make sure the overall dynamic is the same) When I do I will start the process of getting all the parts together for it. Hey Paul, what is your return policy if it turns out that my 255 route won't work? :p (the smaller spring is not an option for me since i want to keep the car modded only enough that it takes a few min to convert it to OEM)

23. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    "In theroy it should mount up since the 255 tire is not as wide"

I think it's the wheel that is the problem with hitting the spring, at least it was with my car.

24. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    #24 MRFOTOS, Dec 31, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Some one mention my Name ??????
    Yes I have 18" Enkei racing wheels on my 308, then I lowered it a bit more that 2 inches,using Eibach racing springs, then topped it off with OEM Ferrari 360 Challenge center caps, looks more "Modern" now in my opinion, I hope the foto shows up OK.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. Wayne 962

Wayne 962 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 27, 2003