Pontiac GTO Did GM Screw it up? | FerrariChat

Pontiac GTO Did GM Screw it up?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by writerguy, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    #1 writerguy, Dec 29, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Ok here is the GTO side by side with the Holden it is based on.

Any body else think they didn't get the idea on styling and made it look like a rental Grand Am?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    well scince holden is not sold in amerca and it's part of GM they had it put with a poniac badge on it.

3. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    No Kidding
    But the styling they did to it looks awful to my eye.

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Formula 3

Apr 20, 2002
    Not only the styling - but you also can't get a sunroof, stability system, or navigation on it. That's unacceptable for a car priced in the mid $30k's. I think GM really dropped the ball on this one. They brought back a historic name and then put subpar performance in a boring package. This is the same sin Ford did with the T-bird and with the Marauder. I give it 6 months before it has several thousand in rebates slapped on it.

5. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    the problem is the Holden is a solid car Good looking and very well planted. For $33k there is a lot out there that dose not look like that Grand Am rental.

6. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Definately a Grand Am look alike. I heard that next year they will give it a more aggressive hood but GM always starts with a good design waters it down then adds more & more but by the time they get it right no one is interested anymore. like the Fiero V6 GT which was a great car but far too late or the Caddy Allante which got almost enough power too late

7. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Right on the money on those

I keep looking at this thing and thinking of the mistakes they made with the Caddie / Opel Catarra
    Damn shame they can't seem to learn from their mistakes.

I know it is important to keep a "Look" for brand recognition but if that look is ugly aren't they just shooting themselves in the foot?

8. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Well said regarding the look alike comments and not enough performance/options/uniqueness.

The concepts that were being drawn up with the stacked headlights looked better than the rental car look alike they came out with. Its de-tuned from the Holden too isn't it?

As much of a sin it would be to some enthusiasts, they could have re-released the GTO with the same body and interior design and would be able to sell all of them.

There's SO much brand recognition with the Pontiac GTO, my friend can't take his out and be left alone without hearing how much it is for sale, getting harassed by police, gawkers who drive a little too closely, and it all primer gray with new mechanicals and some new interior bits.

Ferrari is to Italy as the Pontiac GTO is to the USA. Its that simple. GM really f'ed up on this one.

Sunny

9. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Well, I saw a yellow GTO at the Detroit show, and it was actually kinda reminisce of a 360 on steroids. It really didn't look that bad. If you put a Stradale stripe on it with some glass packs, who knows?

Dale

10. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    it does look like a rental. the ponticrap (which I refer to them these days) front end, but no side mouldings make me think it is a neon.

GM really goof'ed up on this one. If it sells... it will be through more annoying commercials, i.e. - "got change for a dollar?"

11. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    I love how people say its crap when they have not even driven one, ugh.
    Its a good looking car in person minus all the clutter. And its certainly not detuned from holden, it was beefed up from holden. The only thing changed is the nose and some badges. A GTO started out as a tempest back then, same principal now.

12. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    I am asking for input on the styling. It looks like all the other pontiac stuff out there to my eye and the other pontiac stuff IS crap so making the leap is not hard. Yes I have driven the rest of the stuff and have one of these coming in January to see but the exterior styling is somewhat underwhelming now isn't it

13. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I'm not sure why people think the monaro is a great looking car.I find it bland as hell myself.I think the car is a performance value for someone who wants four seats.The interior is quite nice for GM standards.I never noticed that it looked that much like a grand am and it does now that i think about it.But if you want eye catching looks that's what the vette's for.I'm not a fan of the original gto's styling though either.

14. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Pontiac and GM in general is getting much better quality wise. This GTO is by far quality wise unlike any other Pontiac. As i can see though with your opinion, this stigma is going to be hard to shake and take awhile.

15. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    You are right they are getting much better in almost everything but the fact that they have been so far out of step and off the mark for so long is the thing I have had the CTS XLR and the new truck much better but Malibu is awful TRucks Suv' are getting there but the car devision of the Biggest Car company in the world is only now coming up to the 1999-2000 range of its competition.

Had to get better or just stop trying

16. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Sticking to the original question, i.e. "styling", I would say that GM dropped the ball (yet again). Interesting how you guys see a Grand Am -when I first looked at the picture, I thought it was a Cavalier Z24...but GM being GM, everyone is rummaging around in the same parts bin anyway.

When I think "GTO", I think about a clearly hot-rodded Pontiac, both in styling and performance. I feel that the "Judge" version was a bit over the top (it's all relative of course), but the point remains, that "GTO" = impossible to ignore.

To me, this seems to just be another case of GM bringing out emasculated versions of cars with a lot of name recognition (e.g. Impala, Malibu). Dodge did the same thing with those awful Dusters and Chargers in the mid-80s, so GM can't be singled out.

Here a profile pic I found. Very nondescript design. The car may be fine, but it shouldn't be called a GTO unless it has crazy power and crazy looks.

17. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Now I really dislike it.

18. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    Dodge avenger anyone?

19. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    very boring design for 33k.
    But Ferrari 550/575 is more boring for 200+k

20. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Well now you're just talking crazy talk! :)

21. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    I mean 550/575 is much better than GTO
    But for 200+k its a very boring design

22. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Thats true... the GTO was an option after all.

However, there is where the resemblance ends. Do you revive a 4 decade old automotive icon by making it look like something else?

Chris Bangle at least designs cars that you can tell are BMWs. People will see the GTO badge and go, huh?

Did the S-Type, XK8, Ford GT, T-Bird, and slew of other revival cars look very similar or share nothing more in common than 4 wheels and tires to their historical predecessors?

I don't care if it has a thousand horsepower under the hood, AWD, and weighs exactly 2000 lbs with fluids. Do you want people to remember the GTO, Tempest, or Le Mans or the Grand Am coupe look alike with an options package and body kit?

Sunny

23. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Joe, you better get one now because they will be way backordered by the time you make to the showroom with fresh drool on your chin. I just turned in my deposit for one and will have mine in a few months. What are you waiting for, do it man!

NOT!!

Sunny

24. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Well at least its a 2 door, remember the comeback of the nova 4 door import, ugh

25. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Wasn't the "Nova" just a Corolla? Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
    Compare that to the Nova SS!

Sunny - save your money :) these "GTO"s will be available for all the weekend warriors via Hertz, Enterpise, Avis etc. The dealerships won't be able to give these things away.