Sticky/Jerky 308 throttle cable | FerrariChat

Sticky/Jerky 308 throttle cable

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by 308GTS, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    The throttle cable on my new 308 QV is smooth if you push it fast but if you go slowly it gets jerky and jumps sections as a time. I lubed the throttle body/throttle mechanism, lubed and cleaned the throttle pedal. What else could it be? Has anyone else had this problem? It looks like there maybe a little bit cable bunching up underneath the plenum. Any ideas.

2. markrolf

markrolf Karting

Nov 26, 2003
    Kettering, UK
    Hi,

I have exactly the same problem with my 308GTBi (1981). Haven't really looked at it yet but I'll be interested to know how you progress.

Best of luck!

Mark

3. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    This is going to sound really stupid but recently I thought my throttle cable was sticking too and it turned out to be the infamous 308 floor mat cruise control. Pretty embarassing!

Birdman

4. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    I had a different problem, the throttle seemed not to close correctly, I had to tighten the cable near the pedal, then i noticed that there was a return spring at the top of the clutch and brake pedals, i would check the retun spring of the throttle cable ( not sure where it is )

5. Dopplemax

Dopplemax Formula 3

My throttle cable (84 QV) was partially unraveled inside it's housing.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I had the same problem, and tried everything to no avail.

One day, quite accidently, I noticed that the gas pedal was touching the steel scuff plate on the side of the center console.

I pulled the pedal to the left which gave clearance between it and the plate. Problem solved!

It's worth a look-see.

7. eric lipper

eric lipper Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Mine on my 86 328 was sticking with exactly the same conditions and I determined that the small roller that runs along the lever on the throttle body was sticking. A little lithium grease and back off to the races.

8. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    The throttle cable itself requires periodic lubrication.
    Get a spray can of motorcycle cable lube & a cable luber such as Motion Pro's:
    http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/accessoriesdetail/product=65523/levelcode=6241/catalog=754/Tucker+Rocky+Motorcycle/MOTION+PRO+CABLE+LUBER/accessories65523.htm

[quote = Motobe]Wurth HS2000. It is thin when you first spray it, and then thickens into a grease as the carrier evaporates. [/quote]

ALTERNATIVE CABLE SERVICE:
    (This is what I've done for years.)
    If you don't have time to track down a cable luber,
    Use electrical or other lubricant resistant tape to form a funnel around the end of the spiral jacket & drop/squirt the lubricant into it. I've always used a graphite based liquid lock lubricant. Another lubricant option is a light machine oil eg: 3-in-1.

The tape encourages the lubricant to work it's way in & around the slide wire. Put a couple of good squirts of oil into the improvised funnel every hour our so for a couple of evenings or until things feel really loostened.

Watch out for the lubricant working it's way outside of the spiral jacket where it just makes a mess... Especially if it drips on light colored leather upholstry or carpet...

This worried me. It makes me suspect that the cable is starting to unravel, in which case there's no alternative, it must be replaced.