FICO Credit Scores | FerrariChat

FICO Credit Scores

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lesterm, Dec 29, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lesterm

lesterm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Hey all,

I just ordered a credit report for myself and my score is 768. What exactly does that mean in the grand scheme of things? Is 768 good for a 19 year old?

2. MikeZ_NJ

MikeZ_NJ Formula 3

Dec 10, 2002
    Southern NJ
    Full Name:
    Mike Z.
    I have almost the exact score; here's what Equifax has to say about it:

* FICO scores range between 300 and 850.
    * Higher scores are considered better scores. That is, the higher your score, the more favorably lenders look upon you as a credit risk. Your score is well above the average score of U.S. consumers and clearly demonstrates to lenders that you are an exceptional borrower.

The Bottom Line: What a FICO score of 764 means to you
    More than 75% of the applications for credit in the U.S. last year were decided with the help of a FICO score. Lenders consider many factors in addition to your credit score when making credit decisions. Looking solely at your FICO score, however, most lenders would consider this score as excellent.

This means:

* It is extremely unlikely your application for credit cards or for a mortgage or auto loan would be turned down, based on your score alone.
    * You should be able to obtain relatively high credit limits on your credit card.
    * Most lenders will consider offering you their most attractive and most competitive rates.
    * Many lenders will also offer you special incentives and rewards targeted to their "best" customers.

It is important to understand that different lenders set their own policies and tolerance for risk when making credit decisions, so there is no single "cutoff score" used by all lenders.

Also,
    As a group, the consumers in your score range, 750-799, have a delinquency rate of 2%, as illustrated in the graph. This means that for every 100 borrowers in this range, approximately 2 will default on a loan, file for bankruptcy, or fall 90 days past due on at least one credit account in the next two years.

Most lenders would consider consumers in this score range as extremely low risk.

3. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    When i worked as a finance manager, anyone who had a fico score of 700+ was automaticly approved via computer for a car loan within reason.

4. racedecknc

racedecknc Karting

Nov 24, 2003
    Winston Salem
    Full Name:
    Ed
    768 is great, but being 19, it probably means you have one credit card that you've paid on time.

Lenders on big ticket items like to see Installment (car loans, mortages) and revolving credit (credit cards) that have a good payment history.

That is a really good score.

Ed

5. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    one other reason why you will be unable to hit 850 for a long while - you are 19. this doesn't go against you, but basically, when you hit 30, you get an extra 60 or 70 points. I cannot remember the exact figures.

but that score is very good for your age. it shows you are developing credit. just maintain it and stay ahead of the curve.

6. Hubert888

Hubert888 F1 Veteran
    BANNED

May 14, 2003
    Manhattan & LA
    Full Name:
    Hubert
    Getting a jumbo mortgage, one usually needs a credit rating above 700.

You have a great FICO rating. keep paying those bills on time :)

7. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    If your score is that high at 19, DON'T SCREW ANYTHING UP! You should be proud of that!