Ford GT 139,995 | FerrariChat

Ford GT 139,995

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Napolis, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Whats the final HP figure ?

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
  4. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Not much of a war . Other than sound quality, the Ford GT will slaughter any currect road Ferrari other than the Enzo, and for the difference in price that Enzo ain't that much better.

5. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Nice pricing. Anyone here ordered one yet?

6. t88power

t88power Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Ernesto
    pay $140K and then have to take it into the same crap service department and deal with the same morons where they service focus and explorers? right....

Ernesto

7. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Actuallly I found the factory dealership quite a nice experience with my F150. I don't imagine every dealership will have the ability or qualifications to service the GT.

Anyone know if Ford is setting up specific centers for service or specific qualifications to service the GT? THAT would be the difference and the correct way to go.

JD

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    It is my understanding that only SVT Ford dealers will be able to sell and service the new GTs.

9. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    I'm sure the F40/F50/Enzo owners are saying the same thing about the Ferrari dealerships.

I was going to post something similiar to Jeff's post, there will likely be a certification for techs and a list of authorized dealerships.

The advantage in the Ford GT's case is, with the number of dealerships out there, many techs are already familiar with this powertrain and its not even out yet. Its better than trying to get your Ferrari serviced in Nowheresville if you have a breakdown.

Sunny

10. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    At $140k and 1700 copies a year, they will sell every one. If the dealers do not get carried away and start asking $60 over list.

11. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Not true Frank. Ford dealers can qualify by being a member of the President's Club, having high sales, and they can be chosen by lottery.

12. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    I put a call into my dealer and waiting for him to get back to me.

13. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    As hot as this thing is going to sell, and given what its going to do for Fords image worldwide.... I would bet the production run will be lots more than just 3500 in 2 years. They may only build 2500 in the first 2 years, but look for this thing to become a more permanent model with slightly higher production annually. Ford would be stupid not to sell more.... and if they were that stupid they would not have produced it to begin with.

Terry

14. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Give me a Ford or Chevy service department ANY day! Every time I take my Suburban to the shop, I'm told when I can expect it back and they're usually right on. They're efficient and communicative.

I've used up every Jag dealer in town, tired of their games and unreturned phone calls.

My LIMITED experience w/ Ferrari has been positive, but the most common complaint I hear is a lack of urgency on completing the work. Ask people when they're getting their cars back, they say "I don't know".

15. gripet

gripet Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    south of Chicago
    I ordered a GT40 from my Ford dealer 3-4 months ago after seeing the first article. He had to negotiate with another dealer because he didn't have the volume. But he called a few days later and said that he had found a slot somehow.
    Oddly, the doors are inset like the Enzo but don't lift up...only outward meaning that you can't park next to anything or you will smash your head. Perhaps an aftermarket mod will show up soon.
    Also the styling is from Mars. Waffle seats cushions that will leave welts on your thighs and a strange assortment of gauges and placement.
    But you are right they will sell every last one of them. More in late Spring as shipments begin.

16. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    The availability looks to be a joke, at least for a while. I called three local Ford shops, and the best I got was "Maybe 2005." Looks like most of them are getting one car for 2004, and of course the owner is taking it. None of them are even taking deposits or lists.

Gary

17. Bill Sawyer

Bill Sawyer Formula 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Georgia
    Sounds a little like Ferrari, eh?

18. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    The roof cutouts on GT40's kinda bothers me too. You pretty much need to open the door fully to get out. You have to park it curbside or in the end spot at parking lots (your passenger would have to get out on your side). Won't be a bother on the track though. Love to add one a few years from now.

19. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Anyone will be able to service this car. We've taken the motor out of mine in 45 minutes. The doors like the ones in the original make it much easier to get into at LeMans. (In those days you had to run accross the track and hop in) In the rain they do tend to drop water on the seat when you open them but that was welcomed at LeMans as the wet seats kept you cool. The new one, unlike an F50 at least doesn't leak. They are going to build enough to meet demand and there is already a second version in the works that will be faster.

20. Chevarri

Chevarri Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2003
    In a rose bush.
    Full Name:
    J'aime
    Thats because they are charging by the hour. Im sure their logic is, If you can afford to own a Ferrari, then you can afford to pay the bill we throw at you.

21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    WHAT ARE THE FINAL POWER FIGURE ???

22. ROGER

ROGER Karting

Feb 9, 2002
    Lake Havasu City, Az
    Full Name:
    Roger Blakeman
    500 H.P. and 500 lbs./ft. of torque!!!!!!!!

23. Gary(SF)

Gary(SF) F1 Rookie

Oct 13, 2003
    Los Altos Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Gary B.
    I'm not at all sure those are final numbers. If the C&D test figures are to be believed, they will be quite a bit higher, probably 575 - 600hp.

Gary

24. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion

Thanks but thats what was announced when the car was introduced. But there is no way that a GT with 500 hp and 500lbs can do 0-60 in 3.3 s with all that weight ....Its heavier than a CGT and would have 112 hp less....

25. scott63

scott63 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    And it will probably be worth $70K in 2 or 3 years.
    I know it's not an apples to apples comparison but when the new T-Birds came out 2 years ago with a list of $40K, you had to pay $60K to get one. You can now buy one brand new for $30K.....