288GTO with 355 engine | FerrariChat

288GTO with 355 engine

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by funkyboogalooo, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. funkyboogalooo

Dec 30, 2003
    Guys i'm new to this board and was told about it today by a friend of mine. I have been a regular on pistonheads for a few years also. I was in Powerstation in Cheltenham a few months ago getting an exhaust fitted on my car. There was a USA plated (orange county I think) 288 there. I was talking to the owner who was getting it tuned on the rollin road and he told me it had been fitted with a 355 engine? Anyone know of this car?
    Mike

2. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I don't know the car, but why would the owner want to do that? The whole beauty of the car is the engine!

3. funkyboogalooo

Dec 30, 2003
    but people do these wacky things.

4. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Hey Funky- you OK? Still remember your Maserati- great car, wrong time to make an addition to my stable. Bit of a pisser that.

Never heard of this engine swap before but wanted to say hello.

Kevin

5. funkyboogalooo

Dec 30, 2003
    Had a long ole conversation about you and your 360 today with a fellow PH'r We were discussing the Trout meet where you and I met up and went for a hoon.
    God I miss that Maser, have even seriously been thinking about sending a letter to the current owner and A) finding out if he still owns it and B) if he would consider selling it back to me.
    I thinking i'm going round the twist.

6. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Welcome to FChat.

I've not heard of this particular car, but I have seen a 308 with 288GT0 style bodykit. Looked good I suppose if you want the 288 look and don't have the £150k + needed to buy a real one.

Fitting a 355 engine to a real 288 would be like, well, painting a moustache on the Mona Lisa. And an odd move considering the 355 engine produces less power than the turbo unit in the 288.

That said, a 308/328 with a 355 engine, and 288 styling; whilst totally unoriginal is very appealing...

7. Badapple

Badapple Formula Junior

Nov 20, 2003
    West London
    Full Name:
    Phil
    Hi Mike,

YHM

Phil