1986 328 GTS on Ebay | FerrariChat

1986 328 GTS on Ebay

Discussion in 'Chicago' started by theo-m, Dec 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Gentlemen--1986 328 GTS currently on ebay.
    I viewed this 328 GTS this morning in Painfield Ill. I drove over from Detroit. The car appears to be to good to be true. I have looked at a few cars. This one is incredible. Does anyone know the car? I feel that the owner has his reserve near the $45k. What is the right price for this car. I hope that someone is familiar with the car. The condition is a 10!
    Thanks for your help.
    Theo

2. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Whats the mileage? (I didn't look through EBay) Does it have service records and up to date service? IMO,$45K is about right for a NICE '86. But,I have seen '86's in the $30's. Depending on mileage and condition,and service history. Otherwise,less. No bubbles in the bottoms of the door panels? Clean engine bay,front end,underneath,and wheel wells,etc...? Wear on the seats and carpet? No leaks of any fluids? Look in Hemmings Motor News. Thats always a pretty good indicator,I think. But,if it is a nice car,$45K should be O.K. Since 3-0-8's are mostly in the $30's down to $20's.depending on condition. The '86 328 should be high $30's -low $40's. IMO.

3. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Red81308

Thanks for your reply. I take it that no one knows this particular car. It has 19k and three documented owners. The engine bay, undercarriage, interior and exterior are as new. The major service, including clutch has just been done. The car has not been shown according to the owner. The car would win in any show entered. I do not know the 328 market very well. I am guessing that the $45k to $46k number is ok. Any comments from the expierienced. I am running out of time for a decision.
    Thanks,

4. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    If the guy is upfront tell him you will put the deposit but want your car checked out by an independant mechanic. If the clutch has been done and belts where are the recipts from? How long has he owned the car ? Check to make sure their is no overspray. Go with someone you trust who hates ferraris if possible. They will find everything wrong with it, if you can live with it then it might be a good buy. What color combo is it ? Also see if the front forks were done on the car. There was a recall on this for the 86(warranty work). It chews tires like butter.
    Good luck.

5. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Theo, I have a 308,but not a 328. But,they are very similar. When I was shopping for a car 3 years ago,I preferrred a 308,but would have considered a 328,too. I ended up getting an '81 with 14,250 miles that had just had it's 15K service,and a couple other new parts. So,Yes,$45K is about right then if it's in the condition that you said. Actually,pretty good. But,look in Hemmings Motor News. In this months issue,there's an '86 Euro. car with 35,000 miles. $43K. An '85 308 $37,5K. An '84 308 for $34K. An '87 328 44,000 miles $39K. And,in the DuPont registry,a few more ads. Continental Has an '89 with medium miles for $52,9K. Rayco Eurospec. has an '87 ,with recent Major service for $42,9K. Lambo Dallas has an '87 with 7K miles fot $64,5K So,If I were in your postition right now,I'd get a PPI and buy it! Big Red. LOL! about the "find someone who hates Ferrari's to look at it. They'll find everything thats is wrong with it". THAT is Funny! (and True) So,take it to a Porsche dealer that also services and sells used Ferrari's.They'll pick it apart and try to sell you a 911 or something. Also,Theo,what color combo is it?

6. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Red81308
    The car is red over black. The other cars tat you listed make this seem like a pretty fair deal. Here goes. I am moving to Naperville in the spring of this year. If I can get the car pulled off of ebay, I will be joining you guys soon.
    Thanks for your help. Any more input would be appreciated. For a view 2450241299.

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Glad to be of help. I have been watching Ferrari "asking" prices for many Years,in all of the different publications that I get,which include Hemmings Motor News and The DuPont registry. Was looking for my own car 3 years ago. So,I have a pretty good idea of what they are "asking",but,not "going for",as thats usually a little less. But,as you saw from the examples that I posted. $45K for that car seems really good. But,would definitely get a good "Pre Purchase Inspection",just to get that last "piece of mind". Also,if it uncovers anything,can be a bargaining tool on your purchase price. But,as it looks right now,I'd get a PPI and buy it! Good Luck,and looking forward to having you join in with us.

8. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Theo, I checked it out on ebay, and it definitely looks nice. I agree with the deposit/inspection route. Don't rush into it, since it's not the last 328 you'll find. I got mine ('87) about 2 1/2 years ago, all majors had just been done at 24K miles. Don't be surprised if you will need new hoses or a water pump. The seller sounds like he's decent, but definitely don't allow yourself to be pushed faster than feels comfortable. I checked out a bunch of cars before picking mine. Good luck, and we look forward to seeing you at one of our drives next Spring!

By the way, the price is around what you should expect to pay.

9. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I too looked at ALOT of cars.when I was shopping for mine. It is VERY tempting to take the first one that you see,'cause you are so excited and all. But,as hard as it is,It is really worth it to wait until you find the right car. But,from what you said about this one,it sounds really good,and is priced right. Get the PPI for some additional piece of mind.

10. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    High retail price on the car is $41,300, Avg. is $36,400. Unless it's actually a 100 pt.car, which I doubt as it wouldn't have been driven.

If the car is exceptionally clean, and has complete service records, I'd offer $41,000K, and possibly settle for a price somewhere between his asking price and your offer.

Don't jump into something, just because it looks good!

Today, for $45K, you can buy yourself a nice early model Testerossa.

11. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I agree with with Skip. Make sure you start out at a "Low Ball" price. The seller only wants to go up,not down. Start low and do your best to keep it low. But,If the car is a "100 PT.car", (or close) paying a little more than "average" is O.K. as far as I'm concerned. Piece of mind has no price. Make sure to use Skip's numbers,and try to find some more like the ones that I gave,to help you out. In order to make your offers.

12. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    My offer is not going to fly. I can't spend any more than my offer. I looked at a dealer 328 today. Some people try to move very questionable cars. This was a very reputable dealer. I will search another day. There are other cars.
    Thanks for your help guys.

13. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Theo,was this 328 at a Dealer or Private seller? Also,check out the website for Continental Autosports in Hinsdale,IL. Right now they are showing 2-328's For Sale. An '87 and an '89. Both are Red,but have more miles than the '86 that you were looking at,and both are mid to upper $40's. Just to give you more of an idea. Hinsdale is not even as far as Plainfield,from Detroit,(1/2 hour less) so worth checking out. Their web address is: www.continentalautosports.com

14. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Been there, done that! Those cars are a mess. I am back to Detroit tomorrow. Maybe some luck there.
    Thanks for your advice again.
    Theo

15. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    The car looks nice & the price seems fair. The only thing I don't like is that shifter knob!

16. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I always see ads in the DuPont Registry for some place "1/2 hour from Detroit" Called "Bill Ziegenbein" Auto's. They look like they have some nice cars there. Have you been there?

17. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    Lots and lots of junk! I might go to the sidelines for a little while and lament.
    Darrols, If you can find a great 328 GTS for $41k, please tell me where to look. Anything that I have seen and would own is sustantially more. I certainly am not looking for someone elses problems. I am unfortunately finding myself a little short at this time. It sucks having obligations!

18. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think a 328 can be found for 41k on ebay. The question is how good is it? The realistic price for a 328 is probably more in the 50ish range. What I would do is go for the best 41k you can find on ebay and put 10k aside for the next time you have it serviced.

When I was looking for my QV I did find some interesting 328 for about 45k (that was over a year ago, so I'd think the prices weakend further). I didn't go for it, which is a decision I'm still debating with myself, but anyway. The one I got really close to buying is the blue one from Slag.

If you're buying an automobile that old, you always take a risk. Accept it and have some $$$ on the side for hidden problems. If you want to play it safe, go for FNA's newly introduced preowned Ferrari programme. Obviously it comes with a premium.

Good luck hunting!

19. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Then,go with a 308. Nothing wrong with those! Several of us own 308's here,and love them. When I was "Ferrari Shopping" I could have gotten just about any model,(within reason) that I wanted. But,I wanted a 308 for so long,THAT was what I bought. You can always start out with a nice 308,and,if,or when you want,can sell it and get a 328. No sense denying yourself a Ferrari,only because of price,when a 308 is a much more inexpensive,and viable alternative! You can find a "decent" 308 in the high $20's,or a NICE one in the $30's. Why wait?! They might even go up in the time that you are ready to get into a 328. Really Nice 308's are getting harder to find,and will go up in value way before any "Mediocre 308's,or,328's",for that matter. And,I've always done pretty well with speculation,and personally believe that the 60's and 70's Muscle Cars are going to be Passe soon,as,they are running out of really nice ones. And,they are starting to pay WAY TOO much for cars with non original engines,paint,etc... Only can go up so much,before people start realizing that! Especially,when they can't turn 'em around. And the Older Ferrari's that aren't super expensive are going to be coming into the spotlight soon. And,right now,308's,328's,Testarossa's are a real bargain. As,the really old ones are already "way out there." And,only the Nice ones...(like Muscle Cars)...are going to be "Worth" anything. Watch.:)

20. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Such a small Ferrari World! I ended up buying it for just under $40K because it needed a new clutch. By the time I am done with the major service, new clutch, interior, and some small paint work (I want to have the black stripe around the car repainted), I will be into it for a total of $50K - Mostly the extra $10K was spent because I am a perfectionist! :) I am already into the car for more than I can sell it for, but who cares - The car won't depreciate any where near like a new car would - Plus, I didn't buy it to sell it, I bought it to DRIVE it!! Buy a nice car that is within your means & then enjoy it! If a 328 is out of reach, go for a nice 308 - I actually like the interior of those more than I like the 328!

Whatever you do, live life without regrets!

21. theo-m

theo-m Rookie

Dec 26, 2003
    I have driven both cars. I do really like the extra power and exterior look of the 328. My plan is to club race. ( I have raced a Lotus Seven in the past). On the track, one needs every last piece of horsepower. Maybe I drove a bad 308. It was an 85 4valve. There was quite a bit of difference between the two cars. Maybe I am weird!

22. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I still need to drive a 308 to see the difference - I definitely like the exterior look of the 328 more, but the interior of the 308 gets my approval.

23. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I am happy with the performance of my 308. It as fast as I need it to be. When I really want to go fast,I drive my modified Corvette. That thing will blow my 308 away,easily. BUT...it's NOT a Ferrari! (and,yes,I bought mine to keep and drive,also. Waited too long to get one! I'll drive it into the ground before I sell it! :) ) HMMM...maybe I should rent a warehouse,and buy up as many 308's that I can,and create an inflated 308 market on my own.... "Frank!,Frank!...Wake up! You fell asleep at the computer again!" ...oops,gotta go guys! :)

24. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have a QV and drove a 328 and there is a noticable difference. Not a world apart, but noticable. Plus I think the 328 is refined in many more ways.

However if you want to track it, you're looking at the wrong car. Neither (308 or 328) are great track cars. Unless you beef up the engine substantially with a blower or turbo (both doable) and put some serious racing brakes on it. Still it is no racer.

If you want a Ferrari to drive like hell, go buy a GT/4. They're awesome. One FChatter here (Ira Schwarz) has one in FL and customized especially for track use. That thing goes like gangbusters. But it still has its limitations speedwise.

If you want more umpf and a Ferrari, get a late 348. Especially Challenge cars. The later 348 are probably one of the most underrated Ferraris (the earlier ones gave them a bad rep) and have tons of more power than a 308 or 328. There it is not only noticable, but a quantum leap. And a reasonable 348 Challenge car doesn't cost much more than a 328. Downside is more expensive maintenance.

25. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    tifosi12 - I can't remember, did you buy the 308 after looking at 328's? Or did you already have the 308 & were looking for a 328?

What would be your next F-Car if you sold the 308?