Some Stradale Questions | FerrariChat

Some Stradale Questions

Discussion in '360/430' started by Eilig, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    A few things I've been wondering, maybe someone can share some insight:

1) I read somewhere that the Challenge Stradale has "lightweight composite body panels." Does this mean it has plastic panels instead of aluminum?

2) How will the value of a CS hold in a couple years from now, when the new "420 Monza" comes out? I've noticed that, generally, limited run iterations tend to hold their value better over the long haul (i.e. 512M, 348 Speciale, etc.) Wonder if this will also be the case with the CS?

3) I remember when the 360 Modena was first released in 1999, and I saw quarter mile times posted in the magazines at 12.0 and 12.1. Then in recent couple of years, they seemed to have increased to 12.4 and 12.5. And now the CS is posting quarter mile times at 12.0 and 12.1. So I guess I'm a little perplexed -- were the initial numbers for the 360 Modena a bit exagerrated, or are the current numbers for the CS a bit conservative? One would think the new launch control and quicker shifting of the revised F1 system of the CS alone would be enough to decrease quarter mile times -- then even more so with decreased weight and more horsepower.

2. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    for reference look at the attached picture - the picture does not show the SC version but it saves me some explanation
    http://www.tubistyleusa.com/images/cf-fer-360-tray1-pop.jpg

the underbody pannels of the SC are very thin "plastic" with embedded carbon fiber structures - pretty tricky!!! and very light weight

3. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I would guess this is referring to the under-body panels which are a lightweight variation on carbon fiber. They saved a bunch of weight there vs. the 360 Modena.

Its all supply vs. demand. The big question is how many people will get one and realize they really want some of those luxury features that were eliminated. Carpet, sound insulation, gadgetry, the ability to hear, less stiffness, and so on... it could go either way, IMO.

Yes, there are a variety of strange numbers associated with the Stradale. Marketing numbers disagreeing with owners' manual numbers; Euro numbers disagreeing with US numbers; magazine numbers inconsistent with head-to-head comparisons and with each other; its all a bit of a mystery right now. I'll definitely be doing a lot of my own measurements in coming months, as I imagine others will be.

4. acw

acw Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    1) I believe they are referring to the carbon fiber interior. The body panels are identical to the 360M

2) Who knows? The 360CS will likely be more desirable than the 360M but it really depends on the actual number of car Ferrari will build.

3) I no longer trust any of these numbers, including HP values and even most magazine reviews. The 360 CS is fast enough for its purpose: having fun in the street and occasional track days.

ACW

5. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    ... and man do I look forward to that - especially with the better track weather you have - my expectations are high!!!

6. titanium360

titanium360 F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Nov 10, 2003
    Anyone knows how many stradale are going to be built for the us market?

7. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Latest statements from dealers competing for allocations have been 250. I've heard 300 and 400 before, though. I've consistently heard 900 for the world production number... given that, 250-300 sounds about right for US.

8. Jack(LA)

Jack(LA) Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2003
    Los Angeles

MY '99 360s had a different emissions setup, and the absence of pre-cats in the exhaust manifold does improve performance and sound, based upon my personal experience. ;)

9. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    That is why we should all be writing to our favorite car magazines and demanding that they dynotest each high end car to verify the manufactures claims.

You can't pick up a motorcycle magazine (Harleys don't count) that doesn't have dyno graphs of each high end bike they test. The car magazines could do the same.

But the car companies have FEAR. What if they have been overrating their power outputs and everyone found out? What if they have been UNDERrating their power outputs and the insurance companies found out? What if the general public ever really understood anythin? There is great cause for FEAR indeed!

As to the cost, the car magazines could afford to by their own dyno, and it would not even change the total cost of operation by 1% not even 1%. There is simply no reason to NOT dyno every high end car.

The major reason--its not the numbers the dyno shows (peak PH or peak TQ)--its the shape of the curves that really shows whether the engine is 'on' or just possing around!

10. teak360

teak360 F1 World Champ

Nov 3, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Full Name:
    Scott
    thomas b, do you know the appox. cost and weight savings of the 360 undertray?

11. thomas_b

thomas_b Formula Junior

Sep 15, 2003
    no sorry - I never looked at the 360 Modena one in detail - it also should be easy to put a Modena underbody on scales at a dealer - if you get the weight for the 360 M I am happy to do the same for my CS

having said that I assume that there are a lot of better areas to invest money in - would be suprised if the savings would justify to retrofit to a 360 M considering what F will charge you

12. stokpro

stokpro F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jun 25, 2003
    Himalayas
    i've heard approx. 500 total for u.s. market, 250 for '04 and 250 for '05.

13. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Just from memory, I think it is 94#.

14. loungedog

loungedog Formula Junior

Nov 6, 2003
    New Market, Ontario
    I was speaking to my dealer he said that they are not getting Stradale's for 05. He said all they are getting is 10 cars for the 04 year and that is it! I mentioned the possibility of 2005 production year for the Stradale and he said no.

Stokpro, are you sure about there being 05 Stradale's?

15. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    My dealer said same -- Stradales for 2004 only, none in 2005. He also mentioned that about 250 CS's will be coming to the US.