Rob- a quick idea on Subscriptions... | FerrariChat

Rob- a quick idea on Subscriptions...

Discussion in 'Report Bugs & Ask Questions' started by Artherd, Nov 5, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Rob- with your permission, here's an idea:

Have the subscription simply allow you to post more than 5 messages/day!

That will have the benefit of keeping the Mr Greens out for the most part, and allow us heavier users of Fchat to contribute to it's continued availability.

I would make no other distinction between paid and unpaid users.

The post-count limit alone will be the motivating factor.

What do you think?

Best!
    Ben.

2. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Interesting, never really thought about that option. Something else to consider. I'm kinda burnt out on the entire thing right now anyway. I'm just going to forget about the entire thing for 6 months.

3. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    "I'm just going to forget about the entire thing for 6 months."

You know, that's what I do when I need to really innovate or make a major decision. Remove myself from the situation, go take a walk along Drakes or Linitour beach.

Just get out and relaaaax.

It will come when it's time.

Best!
    Ben.

4. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    This lowly F-Chat member (wax) also has the best interests of this accidental community's near and distant future at it's core and it's orbit. So bear with this monologue about Artherd's considerate idea.

NADA (National Automobile Dealers Association) has a multi-search daily limit of info on cars which is more than enough for Joe SmartCheapskates, but too many for NADA. (Crappy example, I know - as NADA makes plenty from Dealers - but still...)

For what it's worth - IF it came down to post limits - I'd make it a 7 posts a week limit. Not 1 a day. 7 a week.
    A non-payer might have a real need - then and there - and need to get busy.

Once the benefit is seen of having an unlimited participation - this will encourage some, though certainly not all - to commit themselves to this accidental community. Return the favor.

Until that easy decision is made, no pic posting by non-payers who aren't Grandfathered in, though. If you're late to the party, you've going to miss out on some of the fun.

Rob - You have plenty of time to mull over the various possibilities of continuing to make F-Chat the best, but you have ample time to cross the toll bridge when you get to it. So please, don't let this "trouble" - trouble you.

5. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I disagree with this suggestion.

As long as its free to post 5 times, then its free to post 500 times... just add another account.

As long as its free to post, then you want it free to view and to search. Because otherwise you'll just get the same question asked over and over... even more so than now.

What you CAN do is allow stuff and make it more annoying.

For example, when they click "submit new thread", have it collect words out of the posting and do a search, and then pop up a window with the search results and instructions stating "These threads seem to already answer your post. You must check out at least one of these before your post will be accepted. To skip this check, you must register as a full member (only $7.50 for 6 mos)."

If you do that, you need to also make posting replies a little more annoying (so they don't use that instead of a new thread, when a new thread is appropriate)... perhaps just have "Submit reply" go to a window that says, "Thanks for posting. Please support our sponsors (with all their logos). To skip this message, you must register as a full member (only $7.50 for 6 mos)."

With that said, I think Rob's standing suggestion is reasonable... and if it doesn't get enough paying, then he can easily start adding "annoyances" later to encourage more payers... until he finds the right balance.