Some of you just plain suck | FerrariChat

Some of you just plain suck

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by JimSchad, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

This site has become just a sespool of idiots and wannabes. There is nothing wrong with not owning a ferrari and having the passion to somedoay join the ranks, but this thing has just become a site for trolls and schmucks.

I have only been here for about 1.5 years, but I remember Ed Gault, Wayne Alsbrooks, James G, B Wellington, Martin W and others. It was an exictment and pleasure to log in and see what they had to say.

Now it has become a sandbox for dip ****s and morons to voice their opinions.

what would amar and jens think of this?

I used to log in here nonstop all day...now I check back about 3 times a week. **** OFF LOSERS! You are ruining my world!

2. JimSchad

JimSchad Guest

Don't forget Nika

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Jim, I just ignore all the garbage (most of the time) and look for the posts started by people I respect and like. Sometimes I'll check in to look at a good flame war though. I think it is the same board, you just have to look for the good posts now.

4. hanknum

hanknum Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Santa Barbara
    Full Name:
    Henry
    Don't let the screen door hit you on your way out.

OR

Don't go away mad...just go away.

5. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Jim, it does seem like lots more trolls these days. I still think the excellent content is there, but you have to sift through more chaff to find it. I think the best thing the community can do is to stop feeding the trolls.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hmmm, when something going on a website ruins your world, you have serious issues.

7. shelbee

shelbee Guest

Jim, take it easy, chill out

You may need PROZAC, welcome to the free society

8. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I may take a flaming for posting on this thread....but I do mostly agree with Jim's viewpoint. When I was looking for my Ferrari I received tons of advice and tips from this website. And when it came to doing the major service myself, again this place was more valuable than gold. It's true that the good qualities are still here....but there are many "detours" on the way to Ferrari-land nowadays. You have to wade hip-deep through the "mud" to find the worthwhile stuff. While it's an absolute truth that life is a bell curve and you can't eliminate the fringe elements, it does at times seem that the inmates are running the asylum. I also used to visit this site numerous times a day....but that's down now to once a day or so. I sometimes get the impression that some people are bored and start meaningless threads just to have something to do. And I guess it could be that MY views have changed over time too. Now that I'm familiar with the world of Ferraris perhaps my way of relating to this board has evolved too? I do think it's a good thing every once in a while to step back and look at the big picture, and see if we still like the view or not. Jim....you sure get to the point here.....we need a little shake-up occasionally....Thanks.

9. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift

Unfortunately, I think all online communities go through this. They start small with a dedicated base, then grow in popularity until the trolls and the egos appear. Then the noise to signal ratio gets so high that the original base moves on to another place (usually spread through word of mouth) and the existing community dwindles. It may survive, but it won't be the same.

Rinse, Repeat. It happened to the F-list and it will happen here without intervention. I don't really know that there's a solution other than requiring a secret club handshake, and then you don't get the new blood that keeps the community going.

10. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Thanks Tillman.........your reply saved me a lot of typing as I was thinking the same thing.

Jim.........

Take a week off and come back. Enjoy the NYE festivities tonight and go for a drive before you open the bubbly...........I find the sound of a finely tuned engine to be very stress relieving.

I just ignore the stuff or people here that I want to ignore.

F-Chat is a great site, and the BEST ONE I believe, with fascinating people who have a genuine interest and desire to help others with the same interest, but like the world at large, it's a mixed bag at times. I think the last thing anyone here wants is for this place to become an elitist club.

11. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Yes Tillman....your explanation does make sense. And I like how you put it "noise to signal ratio".....perfect description. And although I was worried at what comments would be posted to a thread with a title as inflamatory as this one, it's nice to see intelligent answers like yours and Kds. Good responses re-affirm my confidence...Thanks.

12. Cavallino Motors

Cavallino Motors F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

May 31, 2001
    Florida or Argentina
    Full Name:
    Martin W.
    With 11 posts you are hardly the person to make such a comment my friend. I hope you have more to contribute than just that, otherwise Jim may have been talking about you and yours alike :(

Jim, I hear you but as other said, just ignore them. I am spending more time in my regional board now. This is truly a shame since you distance yourself from others but you do not get the trolls and if you can weed them out pretty easy.
    Stop by Florida :)

13. Varenne

Varenne Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I sure hope it doesn't come to that. There would be a lot a lot of disappointed people who have invested a great deal of time and effort (mostly Rob) in the care and feeding of this board. I'm one of the new guys out there and no, I don't own a Ferrari yet, but it seems like I spend half my day monitoring threads here and/or checking out Martin's inventory down in Miami (LOVE that silver Testarossa BTW) or elsewhere. Jim paints an awful wide stripe with his comment about wannabees, trolls and idiots. I hope he's a lot more circumspect when dealing with people face to face.

Any trolls out there will eventually leave after they've been ignored long enough. This is a great community. I love this board.

14. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    I stay off of the discussion board because my main interest is in the technical area. I am seeing that there are a lot more post of folks who own but don't service their own Fcars. I want to continue to find ways to fix these cars and also to find parts at reasonable prices. This board has helped. Between this and f-talk it provides us all with a lot of info. So I guess that you need to weed through the BS and find what you want out of the board. I think it would be interesting to start a poll on how many people fix their own Fcars and at what years do people leave the service to the dealers.

15. gabriel

gabriel Formula 3

>just a sespool of idiots and wannabes

Okay...that's cesspool, not 'sespool' :)

I had noticed a change in the postings as well, but it still has been, for me, the definitive stop on the web for Ferrari info. And most of you guys have been great! Perhaps you might email the moderators your observations? -g

16. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    Hankum,

Until you have some time on this site I believe you should hold criticisms like to extended to Jim to yourself. Jim has been on this site for a long time and is a valued member. Until you prove yourself and show that your purpose here is to become informed, assist and enjoy the camaradarie of true Ferrari enthusiasts you should refrain from making an arse out of yourself by inviting a long time member to leave.

I agree with Jim in that there is an awful lot of bickering by a small number of people but it tends to take up most of the posting time. I pass over most links because of the way they get treated. Women post and are almost instantly put down and insulted. Good men like Wayne and others who are great resources for all things Ferrari leave because of the back and forth bickering. This is a FERRARI based site and Rob has tried very hard to keep it on the up and up and not let it slide into the cesspool that most on-line chat pages fall into. For the most part, we are mature, responsible individuals here. Let's work together to keep this an enjoyable place to go to.

Yes, this is the internet but we can police our own actions and reactions without resorting to immature name calling and inuendo blasting. Let's begin to take this site back to what it originated as. I will begin it by attempting to better police myself in my postings. I only show to have been on it for a short time but I was on it under another name for quite some time in the past.

So for myself and my past identity, Jere Dunham, I look forward to a better new year. Today ends this one so let's do our best to make this next one the best it can be. Happy New Year and my very best wishes to all of the "true Ferrarichatters".

17. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Jim, I was recently ruminating (which is fancy word for bullsh*tting) late one night with a new acqaintance over scotch (me) and cigars (him). This gentleman was in his late 60s and has had a very successful career in the grocery bidness, which is probably one of the toughest businesses around.

While pondering the problems of trying to run a large company and working up the energy to go to bed (we were at the Hyatt in Orlando), my new found friend turned to me and said, "You know what has been the key to my success? It is treating everybody with respect whether they deserved it or not."

I was floored. I am probably the world's worst manager, which explains why I no longer have any employees. I tell potential clients that I am one of the world's best consultants, but I'm also one of the world's worst employees. I always got "Needs Improvement" in the "Plays well with others" department in kindergarten.

Long story short, what my friend said was the same thing that the Beatles said... In the end, the love you get, equals the love you give.

So guess what my new year's resolution is? Yep, I'm gonna try to take the higher ground and treat the morons and idiots that surround us with respect, even though they don't deserve it. This includes trolls on F-Chat. Instead of getting sucked into their pathetic little worlds where they get their kicks pulling wings off flys (it is not 2004 yet), I'm going to ignore them. Whatever their problem is, I can't help them. But I'm not going to let them drag me down.

So don't shut down. Keep posting on F-Chat. Ignore the trolls and always remember to keep the rubber side down.

Happy New Year Everybody, DrTax

18. racerx

racerx Guest

Nov 23, 2003
    When i first saw this thread title i thought, oh no not another green-troll like post, but i was thinking kinda the same thing. I first came here in the late summer after getting tired of the board i had been on for similiar reasons. I am here because i share a passion for driving an exotic, in my case a very capable porsche. I find most ferrari owners and other owners on this board to be like minded. As my first interest is driving, i can say that the people i have met in person from f-chat are great. But there has been a lot of trash posted recently and i think it is from 1 or at most a handful of people under aliases. If the moderator runs this site on his own linux server there is a way to eliminate that. I hope Jim would not want to restrict the site to only ownership of one marque.
    T

19. tifosi

tifosi F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Sep 5, 2001
    texas
    Full Name:
    Tom D
    I am insulted you did not mention me :) anyway don't sweat it Jim

Tom

20. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    What specifically set you off this time Jim? I'm curious if it was a specific thread or two?

I notice that 40% of your posts on the new software are in Off Topic, but I think your point is trolls anywhere on FC and not just having non-Ferrari content on a Ferrari board.

We all know there are trolls. There are users that are trolls all the time, others just some of the time, and I think all of us are trolls now and then. It's human nature. It's internet nature. I know you're an aspiring businessman and entrepreneur. Having a thick skin and dealing with "personalities" unfortunately is part of it. There are those that can handle it and those that can't.

I agree with several other users on this thread, it sounds like you're making blanket statements about all 3,200 users. I know that's not your intention, maybe you should be more specific.

Jim, it's not worth it to get so stressed out about an internet site. FerrariChat.com is not the small 50 user community it use to be for good or bad. I can create private forums all day long for subsets of our overall community, but then we go against the openness and freedoms that I think have added more good than bad.

Suck it up Jim.

One last thing, everyone knows I'm very open to trying and implementing new ideas to improve anything and everything on FC. Don't just complain, take action.

21. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Jim, the 'ignore' feature works really well. I figured you haven't been around much lately for other reasons, like, ummm....lack of sleep? :)

The biggest change I've noticed is the sheer number of threads. I can't keep up with all of them anymore, and I find that I frequently miss threads that would've interested me. I think the board has just gotten so big that the number of BS to appropriate threads has increased. I'm with you though, I don't understand people that come here just rake muck. Get a life.

22. ART360

ART360 Guest

This will change when we start paying for the service.

Art

23. Dino

Dino Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    San Diego
    Lighten up Francis.
    According to Rob, 40 percent of YOUR posts are 'off topic.'

24. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I gotta tell ya Rob, coming from you, this made me LOL! :D

25. lovespeed

lovespeed Karting

Dec 29, 2003
    at the track
    Full Name:
    Gene Agatep
    I have been a member since 2001 and had approximately 1000 posts on this site but I decided to take a 4 month time-out primarily due to the
    same reason as Jim Schad. (Secondary reason is I got heavily involved in karting.)

I come back - and low and behold one of the first threads I end up
    reading is frustration from an old-time user.

But, since I feel refreshed after being gone-
    what brought me back was remembering the good words from this
    site and from meeting the good people.

This thread is a reminder for me that I have to weed out, ignore and skip through uninformative stuff.

Jim if you decide to take a time-out as I did.
    Here are the good examples for me for coming back..

Martin (Cavalino) - thanks for bringing the 348 manuals to LA that I purchased from you. Info from the book was not detailed enough in doing the 30K but it helped a ton as a reference guide.

Byron and JLM - thanks for coordinating events in L.A. - keep the spirit alive!!!

Fatbillybob and Ernie- thanks for all the advise you provided in helping me do the 30K - it made the DIY service enjoyable

LA F-chatters Sunny, Ron, Wayne, Jordan, and others - always enjoyed the times with you all during the drives.

Rob Lay - thanks for providing a community to keep in touch with and that is easily accesible -

Napolis - though I haven't met you yet, thanks for sharing your P4 - It is my favorite.

For those of you I didn't mention that I have met online/offline and had been a positive involvement with me - THANK YOU

To everyone in the community
    HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE....