How much does my engine weigh | FerrariChat

How much does my engine weigh

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Maverick, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Maverick

Maverick Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    I'm just about ready to pull the engine of my 512BB. For safety's sake I thought I should check the weight is ok for my crane. Does anyone know what the engine and gearbox combination weighs?

Also, I can't find any obvious place to put the straps/chains - especially at the front. Is there a specific technique, or do I just wrap them round as best I can?

2. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    I figured around 600 lbs with the transmission. I used a rental hoist.
    Do you have a load leveler that attaches to the hoist so you can crank the engine angle as it comes out?

There are two ears sticking straight up on the top of the block one in the front left the other in the back rear. They are drilled and tapped to accept bolts. I bolted the engine leveler chains directly to this and had no problems.

Also it comes out easier if the front of the vehicle is elevated so you may want to leave it on the lift or jack it slightly. Good luck! Be safe!!

3. Maverick

Maverick Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    No - but I'm going to buy one today. Sounds like money well spent.

hhmm...I've had a good look for something like this but I can't see anything, although I have noticed a nut on the top rear of the engine, slightly to the right, close to the clutch housing that doesn't seem to hold anything on. Is this one of them, or is it perhaps something that exists on some engines and not others? Someone on another site has suggested removing the AC unit and using it's attachment bracket. This obviously works because he has it in a photo. The rear is not so bad because you can just sling a chain around the whole unit.

I've had one other suggestion of about 700lbs for the weight and both these sound about right. I need to check how far I have to extend the crane to reach the middle of the engine. It's fine at short extensions but can only handle 550lbs at it's limit. Might have to get a bigger one.