Who collects full size helmets? | FerrariChat

Who collects full size helmets?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Jay GT4, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Well, just got my Bieffe Jean Alesi helmet today from ebay. It's not an SA helmet it's only rated for karting but it is very nice! It goes nicely with my other Bieffe helmet that I use for the track. I think I'm gonna have to start collecting helmets now. Who else?

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I got an Irvine and a Schumacher replica helmet. The Irvine one is SCA approved, the MS one is only for motorcycles, but I have used it in a single seater already...
    :)

For their money and their size I wouldn't run out and start a collection, but applaud anybody who does. Currently there is a fairly unexpensive Irvine replica on ebay (along with a great MS replica).

Your Alesi helmet looks beautiful. I once got his gloves from Exoticar in Beverly Hills. Together we could start a museum.

PS: I bought a mannequin off ebay (from Canada) and put the replica Irvine suit on it. Along with the helmet, gloves and shoes of course. Looks sharp I think.

PPS: Years ago I ate at a racing themed restaurant in Orlando and they had real life figures with helmets and drivers suits all over the place. We sat right next to "Mansell".

3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Andreas, I've been watching both the Irvine and MS helmets for 5 days now! The guy selling the MS helmet also has a Senna replica. I think I may try my hand at it if he ships to Canada. I got the Alesi helmet for $130US which I think is a steal. The same seller just sold another for over $225US. Hopefully I can track Alesi down one day to sign the helmet

Mannequin huh? I definately don't have room for that! I am looking for a pair of OMP gloves to go along with my red and white Nomex suit. I've already got the FILA racing shoes (not the clown ones) the replica race ones.

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    130 is a steal, no question. And you being Canadian, an Alesi helmet is all the more worth. Kewl.

Remove the visor (or get a spare one) and hunt him with that. No need to bring the whole helmet along. I got both of my visors signed by the drivers. With a little help from friends that is...

From all the stuff I have, the mannequin doesn't take up that much space. Just put him into a dead corner.

5. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    See, now there's where i'd begin to worry... :D

6. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    That is just one funny line all by itself ain't it? :)

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Just got a reply back...Irvine helmet will ship to Canada, I'm gonna bid! Only problem it is XL and I'm only a small. Display only I guess.

I need an Alesi visor strip, anyone got any leads?

Is that mannequin being used for unnatural purposes?!?!? LOL You coming to Formula 1 in Montreal?

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Slag, Jay, DES, of course I set myself up for your comments. And it gets even worse: The mannequin's name is "Sexy Shae". Not that I gave it that name, that's what it is really called. However once you look at the poor fellow, well lets just say he models suits better than underwear...

And since he is wearing my regular racing suit (Irvine replica) I have to dress/undress him once in a while which is an awkward process. I just hope nobody ever sees me doing that as it would make for some comic relief.

Anyway. Here a pic of the guy. I put a bellaclava over his head, which is unpainted so the whole appearance is a tad better.

Jay, as far as the Irvine helmet goes: My Bieffe clearly uses European sizes. An XL might still fit you. The thing has also a lot of internal wadding, which can be partly removed. Wait and see, it might just fit.

I got my Irvine visor ("Best Wishes, Eddie Irvine") from motorsportcollector.com. Neat company in Illinois. Also you might try our own FChat memorabilia sponsors. Last, but not least try Anthony Ferrari (FChat member).

Dunno for sure yet about Montreal. I'm already signed up for the USGP, but if I can wing it I just might. Would love to meet you. It sounds like we share half of our DNA.

9. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Which Alesi strip are you looking for? They tend to change from year to year, even race to race.

A couple years ago there was an estate sale on ebay, a private deal where they were selling items from someone's estate in Brazil. One of the pieces was an open-face Graham Hill helmet. The numbers put it into the right era, but even the seller admitted he couldn't guarantee its authenticity. It eventually went for around $4500, which is a lot of $$$. I always wondered about that one.

10. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Awesome helmet!

I like that drawing of your car also! :)

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I want the one to match with the Prost Playstation helmet I got. Trying to find a pic with what sponsors were on that helmet.