355 seats removal | FerrariChat

355 seats removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by ze_shark, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    My Xmas holiday project is to treat my 355's leather with Leatherique rejuvinator oil, so I plan to take both seats out to treat them comfortably indoors, while I have more space to do the car interior in the garage.

Any hints on 355 seats removal ? I did not look yet but am wondering if I am up against some italian engineering masterpiece or if it's easy.

2. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    It is easy to take the seats out. I have taken the seat out of my 348 before. The 355 and the 348 have the same basic body, so it should be the same to take them out of the 355. Here is what you do. Slide the seat as far back as you can, and loosen the two bolts on the front. They are facing forward. Then slide the seat all the way forward, and remove the two bolts that are inside the rails, at the rear of the seat. They will be facing up. Next, tip the seat forward and disconnect the wire under the seat. Take the seat out, and your done. Have fun.

3. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Thanks for the tip.
    So the bolts fillets are embedded in the floor ? No nut which is going to break loose god knows where ?
    What is the wire under the seat for ?

4. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    The nuts are welded to the bottom of the floor under the car. The wire that runs across the bottom is connected to the mechanism that controls the clips that hold the seat is possition on the rails. Or maybe it is the spring? Oh I forget. Anyway you will see once you take the seats out.

5. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    Except.........you have to undo the outside seatbelt mounting from the side of the seat, from memory you have to do it after you undo the seat because you can't get to it beforehand, this might only be on the drivers side due to the handbrake

6. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Thanks again for the tips, driver seat removal went without too many hassles. The carpet and insulation finish around these allen bolts looks very ... Ferrari.
    Now onto the leatherique rejuvinator oil adventure ...

7. ernie

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    Way to go ze_shark.

"the finish around these allen bolts looks very...Ferrari" Hahahaa, that's funny. It's sad I know you mean crappy. Believe me, the more you get to know these cars, and see how poor some of the work is, the more you question the selling prices and what the dealers charge. Wait until you have to get behind the dash, what a rats nest!

Hey what did the wire under the seat end up attaching to?

8. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    If this car is a spider the wire could be for the potentiometer. Also be advised that, if it is a spider, the seats are REAL heavy... be careful

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    The wire under the seat is simply connected to the seat belt lock so that the seat belt warning light on the dash can indicate when the seat belt is not fastened.
    The driver seat weighs 19.5 kgs, 42.8lbs ... and the car is a GTS. Why would spider seats be heavier ?