computer speeding ticket | FerrariChat

computer speeding ticket

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by bcharbarneau, Nov 1, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bcharbarneau

bcharbarneau Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    I just got a speeding ticket but their wasn't any laser or radar used.I looked in my mirror and saw the lights and pulled over,my V1 never went off.The officer said they use two fixed points and the computer determines how fast you're traveling between the points.Does anyone know a defense or how accurate the reading is?Thanks

2. jmacphee

jmacphee Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joseph MacPhee
    I have been wondering when the Massachusetts/New York FastLane system will start issuing tickets automatically. I get a statement each month that details my usage and that says, for example, I went through the Weston tolls at a certain time and the Allston/Brighton tolls 7 minutes later and they are like 8 miles apart. Given the 15 MPH rolling start and finish at each end, and oh, yeah rush hour, that works out to somewhere just over the posted 50-55. I wonder when they will realize this and start automatically charging my account for the revenue gain.

3. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Oh believe me, they already know... they just haven't implemented tickets based on it for fear of public outrage and scaring people away from the system.

I worked on that system... I believe they gave out tickets to truckers at one point but it caused an outcry so they nixed that idea.

4. whimike

whimike Karting

Jul 26, 2003
    Los Gatos, CA
    You got clocked with "VASCAR". :eek:

VASCAR is what airplanes use to get your speed, and I guess some groud-based cops are doing it also. Here is an interesting read on it:

http://travel.3dresearch.com/prep1.html

-- Michael

5. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    VASCAR has been in use for decades in NC - speaking from experience. The only defense is total concentration and awareness plus lots of luck. Knowing how it is used is the best defense so you know what to look for and the most likely places it will be used. It works from either stationary vehicles or cars in motion. The reference points can be anything. VASCAR simply measures the time it takes you to go between two points then the cop car measures the distance between those two points; this gives a speed calculation.

6. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    Michael, that link is a great read. Don't know that I'd want to take it all the way to appeal though.

7. tvrfreak

tvrfreak F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Mar 31, 2003
    Arkansas
    Full Name:
    F K
    If you are paced by a cop, that is called VASCAR. The cop follows you for a while and just looks at his speedo and says thats's the speed you were going at.
    There are a few defenses:
    1. If the cop saw you go by and then sped up to catch you, his speed is actually faster than yours. Use math to prove that he was going faster than you.

2. Demand to see his speedo calibration. Cast doubt on the speedo accuracy.

3. Demand to see the measurements of his tires' circumference. If they are less or more than what the speedo is calibrated at, his measurement will be off, even if the speedo is accurate.

4. Show evidence of mechanical problems that prove that your car is not capable of going at the speeds you are accused of going at.

5. At the arraignment, do not waive your right to a speedy trial (within 45 days). Serve the authorities with requests for the above documentation. If it is
    not provided to you by the time your court date comes around, say that you cannot get a fair trial without the info. They have to provide it and you have to have your trial within 45 days, or you are home free.

6. You can always plead not guilty and hope that the cop does not show for the trial.

7. Worst case, cop shows, and you put up a big fight...the judge usually reduces the nature of the offence and the severity of the fine and number of
    points assessed.

Your problem, however, is that your speed was measured between two stationary points. This is based on two things only. Time and distance. So cast doubt on those two.
    1. Ask for calibration data on the timing device--does it lose or gain time? If so, it is not accurate. Ask for proof that it is accurate over a month.

2. Ask for how the distance was measured. How accurate is the measurement? Conduct your own measurement.

3. Ask for a speedy trial again, hope the cop doesn't show, if he does, try to get it reduced to a lesser charge/fine/points penalty.

Finally, there is a provision to get the court venue moved if you live over a certain distance away. Research this. If you qualify, ask for it to be done. Much less chance of the cop showing up.

Best of luck, and let us know how you make out!

8. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    Some day soon all cars will have a chip that records all your driving data and the cops will just punch up on a computer remotely and email you speeding tickets.

9. enjoythemusic

enjoythemusic F1 World Champ

Apr 20, 2002
    Worldwide
    Full Name:
    Steven
    Ken,

As you know, most new cars already have a type of Black Box that records data. This data has been used AGAINST the car's owners in an accident. Those of us with old cars will be the few, the proud....

Oh, and let us not forget about cell phones with built-in GPS so you can be tracked...

Big Brother IS out there :)

Enjoy the Drive,

Steven R. Rochlin

10. Tyler

Tyler F1 Rookie

Dec 19, 2001
    dusty old farm town
    Full Name:
    Tyler
    "Big Brother IS out there :)"

Steven I hear you. I don't like the GPS chips in the phones at all.

11. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    For you guys in New Orleans I've been told that some stripes have been painted across the lanes of the Causeway and they are going to start having helicopters in the air soon. I have not driven across it in about a month so I don't know if the stripes are really there are not. FWIW.

A state trooper hit me with Laser while standing almost in the woods the other day on I-12. I think I'm going to try the Lidatek jammers soon.

12. resnow

resnow Formula Junior

May 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    Bob Snow
    VASCAR is MORE than pacing you to get your speed. It can be used while the cop car is behind you or in front of you going either direction or while the cop car is stopped. The cop car does not have to be going at your speed. One of the most common methods is at an on-ramp with painted lines on the highway so that the distance is already a known in the equation and all that VASCAR needs to do is record the time it takes you to cross both lines, then it calcualtes your speed. Anything can be used as reference points, not just painted lines; signs, shadows, bushes. etc are all usable.

13. richard

richard Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Richard Thompson III
    We are on the same wavelength! I am going to get these installed in my car in December I hope. Combined with a V1 and intelligent driving you should be damned close to bulletproof. Even though they make a sports car package I am going to use the SUV package as it has an extra sensor.

As for the Causeway...I would find that very hard to believe unless they are using it as a method to take some of their patrolmen off duty. They have so many patrol cars at the cross overs these days that it would probably be a big waste of money to do that....

I do occaisonally have some fun on the Causeway, though. The trick is to do your speeding between the two big hills in the middle of the bridge where there are no crossovers! :)

14. Ike

Ike F1 Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    I don't know, just what I was told by someone.

There and near the ends. As long as I'm not getting KA I usually make good time. Those damn speed signs are on K so I usually pick that up most of the time too. Its funny watching people slam on their brakes when the strobes light up on the sign as they go by.