Haltech or Electromotive EFI System in 308QV ?? | FerrariChat

Haltech or Electromotive EFI System in 308QV ??

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dirk, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dirk

dirk Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Dirk
    I think about to switch the FI System in my 308QV from Bosch to an Haltech or Electromotive EFI System.

Which System would You prefer ?

Any experiences ?

Thanks

Dirk

2. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Dirk
    I think there is quite a lot on this topic in the archives, suggest you search there first.

I believe the general perspective (and some one is sure to tell me I am not stating a universally held opinion) is that the Haltech offers superior functionality but is considerably more expensive than the TEC.

From time to time there are TEC 2 systems for sale on eBay. If you are set on going this route, I find someone that has done the install and can guide you on system spec and set up. Nick [Forza Ferrari, sponsor] sells the HPX, a "poor cousin" to the TEC 3 (new version from Electromotive) and can probably help with both.

HTH
    Philip

3. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    A couple years ago I found haltech cheaper, that may have changed. The differences that I know of are:
    1. Electromotive only works with their trigger, haltech works with any triggers including the stock trigger you already have.

2. Electromotive FI is only available with their direct fire ignition, hatech is available fuel only, can fire your stock distributors, or direct fire.

I am using a halteck E6K on my QV and am pretty happy with it. Haltech just replaced it with the the E6X and now offers a fancier E11. I've been dealing with Rob at Force fuel injection, he's qite knowledgable and help you with anything you need.
    http://www.force-efi.com/

For electromotive, I think Nick and Norwood can help you.

4. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Is the E6K just EFI or does it have direct fire too? I looked into one (?9) before and I was just going to go the EFI route and keep my ignition and it was still a fairly high $$$ conversion. Just the throttle bodies from TWM induction were high. Plus they needed parts from my Webers for the linkages. I would go with the TEC 3 if you could. EM seems to be the way to go even though I know a few guys who use Haltechs that are happy. A guy in Alabama got a TEC2 installed with all fabrication, etc. and it was $7500 if I remember correctly.

5. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    I installed a TEC 3 Electromotive on my 308 4v this summer--so far works awesome.

6. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    The f9 is fuel only, the E6K and new E6X are fuel and whatever ignition you want. I think having the ingnition is really the way to go, it lets you have any advance curve you want instead of what was required to get through emissions. I think an E6X with a wiring harness is about $1200. The fancier E11 is $1500 I think. Then you need 8 injectors, figure $300 - $500. The stock fi fuel pump is fine, but you need a pressure regulator, $150. Fuel rail and line maybe another $300. Fit the intake for the injectors, say another $300. So converting an fi car to EFI should be about $2200, maybe $2500. If you want ingnition to you need a 2 channel module, an MSD DIS-2 is $320. for direct fire you need to add a cam position sensor and coils and go with a DIS-4, add another $300. The cheapest way to convert a carb car would be to use a 2vi inntake. An 8 throttle body set-up is the ultimate for hp, but will add $3k-$4k to the project cost.

rexrcr likes this.
  7. 308GTS

308GTS Formula 3

Dec 27, 2001
    TN
    Yes I agree but I couldn't find anyone to fit the injectors in a 2V inj. manifold for under $1000. $300 is a good price. Did you go to a local machine shop or did you send it off?

8. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    You should NOT use a TEC-2 system but a TEC-3 on your car. the older TEC-2's had some quirks.
    I am in Atlanta and I did all my machining and welding myself. TEh retrofit was not very difficult.

9. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    I just estimated $300 for intake mods, I can't see how it's more than 3 hours work, maybe 5 or 6 if you include making the fuel rails. I built a whole new intake (installed a supercharger), so I didn't do it to a stock manifold. I know how long that part of the job took on the new intake and it was just a couple hours .

atlantaman - any time estimate to modify the intake??? Time to do the full conversion??

10. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
    Actually it is very time consuming--you have to mill down the existing bosses on the intakes so that the injector will get into the airstream ant them epoxy in machined "bungs" for them. also the algle of the machingin is a bi$#h. all total it took about 8-10 hrs for the intakes.

Now for the long part---if you want to stay with your STOCK intake plenum then the fuel rail has to be a really custom job.. there are lots of pics of mine in the archives. And then making a custom air box and airfilter. also drilling and tapping holes for sensors and vacuum ports.

There are alternatives though--somewhere--someone actually makes a set of 4 throttlebodies that are a LOT easier to work with--it is up to you. I kinda like my original plenum.

all total--I porbably have about 75-80 hours of machining time, 30 hours electrical wireing, and 20 hours of general wrench turning invested in this project.

11. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
  12. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
  13. atlantaman

atlantaman Formula 3

Mar 31, 2002
    Roswell, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Charles
  14. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Wow, way more than I would have guessed or planned, great looking job though.

I think I have about 200 hours, maybe 220 in mine not counting tuning time.

15. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Has anyone seen a system that uses computer controlled valves to feed the CIS injectors?

It won't let you go with a more aggressive cam, but it updates your computer control, gets rid of the barn door in the intake path, and (with a pressure sensor between each valve and the injector) can diagnose itself down to the health of each injector, making it far simpler to keep maintained.

And it doesn't require a lot of physical mods to the stock hardware, so it's more reversable (for resale purposes).

16. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I've never seen a system like that, but sure would be interested.
    Any other details? Everything I have seen replaces the mechanical injectors with EFI requiring machining of the manifold.

The 'barn door' (airmass sensor) in Kjet is what prevents more aggressive cams, so you probably could use a more aggressive profile.

Very interesting.
    rt