PPI Mechanic recommendation needed in Dallas | FerrariChat

PPI Mechanic recommendation needed in Dallas

Discussion in 'Texas' started by LSU348, Dec 23, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Hi folks,

On the general forum I started a thread about a 85 308 GTB QV for sale. I have found out it is currently in Dallas. Should I decide to go any further forward a PPI will be in order. I would likely want to be present as I would like to see the points he checks. If the car checks out the checkbook may get some mileage.

Any recommendations?

Also, is there anywhere I can look to calculate mileage depreciation on an 85 308? This one has ~82k on it but was serviced by Ferrari NA each time. There do not seem to be any receipts but the owner's manual is stamped. Yes, that does concern me (no receipts). I would call the dealer that did the work for confirmation.

Thanks,

-Mike
    Houston, TX

2. WJHMH

WJHMH Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 5, 2001
    Panther City, Texas
    Full Name:
    WJHMH
    Norwood Autocraft

3. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
  4. writerguy

writerguy F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2003
    NewRotic
    Full Name:
    Otto
    NORWOOD

if you don't wanna go there ( they are good )
    Try Lambo Dallas the boys are good and they know their stuff

But Norwood is the way to go on this one

5. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I believe I am sensing a trend here.

Anyone know who this car belongs to? Black on black 85 308 GTB QV, high mileage, BBS aftermarket rims?

6. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    I don't know the car, but I'll be happy to go wring it out for you! That might fun, get a group of us together, show up at the guys house in 4 or 5 Ferraris to check out his car.

7. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Yup, James Patterson and his crew at Norwoods is the way to go.

Just call him up and ask his opinion about the higher mileage, etc. I saw the comments on the other thread about needing a refresh on the upper end, but based on my conversations with him (and seeing the 150,000 mile 328) I don't think that's really going to be necessary.

Also, unless the car has been recently repainted it will have rock chips and such on the nose, especially with that mileage.

I don't think the speaker panels in that car are original. I think the 308s had speakers behind a preforated leather panel in the door. Not a huge deal but be aware of it.

A driver is not a bad thing but be aware that your resale is going to be a problem. I don't know if that's an issue for you, but I do know that my 328 with 63K on it would be a tough sell now. You should be able to really push the seller on the price, especially if you show up with cash in hand.

EDIT: I just noticed it's a GTB. I don't know if you know, but late 308GTBs are fairly rare cars. They weren't nearly as popular as the GTS cars. This means that people who really want GTBs are limited in their options, and that bodes better for the resale from that perspective. It also means that many people who just want a "Magnum PI car" won't even look at the GTB. Just a random thought.

8. ronr

ronr Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2002
    DFW, TX
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I was at Norwood's today about 12-1:00 picking up my car. There was a guy just finishing up and leaving with a fresh PPI on a Black/Black 308 QV. I didn't get to see it up close, but it looked like it had the stock wheels on it, or at least a good reproduction, I don't think BBS. You could call Norwood's and check on it, if you want. Not many black 308s around here, so could be the one. BTW, they're closed for the day, but will be in until noonish on Wednesday.

9. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I emailed Norwood's today. Got a price of 250 for a standard PPI with +150 for compression. That is the first thing I want to know...so I guess that means $500. Sound pretty standard? About par for the course I am guessing. The guy at Norwood's answered extremely fast. Guy named Mike was the contact.

The GTB is what I want (did not know it is rare...that adds to the coolness factor). I will be keeping it for an extremely long time. I would hate to pay a premium for a low mileage car then be scared to drop its value by driving it.

Thanks for the tons of input guys. This one has silver and gold BBS wheels. The dealer said the owner did not have the stock wheels. Still not falling in love with it...I am screwed if I do.

-Mike

10. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Mike, $250+$150=$400. :)

11. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Ooops - dats dat LSU Maff kickin mine arse.

OK...100 bucks for accessories for the wife. Aka - shopping money.

The pre purchase accessories include an upgrade from a Queen to King sized bed and redo on the couch.

12. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Forgot to mention - if I do end up PPIing this car I'll post when I make the appointment so everyone can throw their two cents into the jar.

I'll be easy to spot - look for the guy in purple. If it is after the 4th and LSU beats Oklahoma look for the hungover guy in purple. If LSU loses look for the depressed guy with the hangover.

13. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    Norwood's did the PPI on my '85 Euro 308. Very detailed, James was thorough.

14. LSU348

LSU348 Formula 3

Dec 19, 2003
    Sugar Land
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Upon much pacing and thought I am driving up on Friday to personally see the car and watch the PPI (and to slobber over other Ferrari's there). I am shooting for a 9am arrival. See you guys there.

-Mike