Coil Wire Removal from Distributor Cap | FerrariChat

Coil Wire Removal from Distributor Cap

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dave80gtsi, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dave80gtsi

dave80gtsi Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dave Meredith
    OK, I just know there's a trick to this someplace, but I certainly can't see it!

How do you remove the center coil lead wire from the distributor cap of a 308?

Each of the four (4) plug wires is held in place with an obvious screw, but I see no similar way to remove the coil wire.

Anybody willing to let me in on the secret, please?

Thanks and Cheers - DM / Ohio

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    THe secret:

1. Turn the cap upside down with the guts facing you
    2. Remove the carbon pin at the center, it comes with a spring, don't overdo the spring, or lose it.
    3. The screw is underneath the spring, undo that and the wire comes out

3. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    bump...... guess i have to yank the damn thing out. the carbon spring thingy WILL NOT COME OUT of my caps. :(

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are talking about std US 308 caps the carbons do get stuck and if so they will cause problems anyway. Drill them out and break them up to remove, then go after the screw. The carbons are available seperately. If you really have trouble getting them PM me but they should be easy to get from the usual suspects.

5. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah

thank you...... i built up the rest of the caps with new wires, but i left the old coil wires in there until i got a response! my car is all apart anyway for new cv axles, wheel bearings and hub bearings. i had one bad wheel bearing, but i am doing all this at one time to get it over with!

the dizzys were seeping oil so i replaced the cam oil seals , o-rings and the distributer base gaskets. with the new t-belts, ect the car should scream! i will pM if needed, thanks for the help.
    Michael

6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

Wow ! You read my mind. I have just changed the wires on my TR and was wondering about the coil wire. I too was looking at the center of the cap wondering how the coil wire was attached. I though scratching my head a few times might make it work. :)

Thank you so much !

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice !

7. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

I took your advice and removed the coil wire from the distributor cap exactly as described.
    I found that to not break it appart, push the carbon button in and out a few times (gently ! ) and pull out slowly with a twisting motion. I got them out with no trouble. Yes...a small job on a Ferrari that stayed small !

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice!

8. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Well Shamile, dave80gtsi, thecarreaper, by now you have realized that working on a Ferrari is not rocket science, no black magic or voodoo is required. Just basic auto mechanics with a horsey on the box.

Of course now that you have discovered the "trick", you will have to swear allegiance to maintaining the myth that Ferraris can only be worked on by "ex-F1" mechanics and "the dealer". Once that is done we will show you the "secret handshake". Welcome to the "club" gentlemen.

Kind of like when you learned that Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny weren't real.

Keep up the good work. BTW, those tapered brass screws are exacty the same ones that were used in British dist. caps back in the 50' & 60's.

Mike :D :D :D ;) ;) ;)

9. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Dear Ferraristi,

What are you saying ?

What do you mean Santa and the Easter Bunny aren't real?

Um...er....are you sure?

I do love working on the Ferrari though. For me, that's the way I relax. Yes...my 91TR is also a daily driver. :)

Shamile

Freeze...Miami Vice !