Maranello -vs- Diablo article CAR magazine ??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Maranello -vs- Diablo article CAR magazine ???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Doody, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Mark(Study) - go back and re-read your previous post. You wrote

"your brand is getting thumped on the track in performance, HP, reliability(chains), and handling(4 wheel drive)."

I was trying to figure out what track Lambo was doing the thumping on. Plain and simple - thats all. The point about pedigree is pertinent. A lot of race/track experience can be brought to street cars - witness F1 technology, etc.

Clearly - we all want high-performance cars. If you want the fastest, go and buy a modded Supra.

We have re-hashed this point a million times before - it is getting old - but if you want in your face styling get a Lambo. If Ferrari went down that path they would lose a lot of customers. A 360 is beautiful to me, a 575 is beautiful to me (in an understated way). I love the Enzo, F40, 288GTO, F50. Not a huge fan of the 456. All fairly modern Ferrari's. I dont agree that Ferrari is at a low point but that's your opinion based on what you like. Others would argue that the Company has never been stronger.

Now, the debate on whether Ferrari should bring back a mid-engine v12 is a good one. Dont know the right answer ")

2. johnw

johnw Formula Junior

Jun 19, 2002
    toronto
    Full Name:
    john
    r u stoned?

3. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark

4. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Big difference between a Rock Star and Rapper with Gold Teeth, the latter are who like Lambos, some people like big gold chains,flashy graphics and 24" chrome wheels, the flashier the better thats a Lambo.

Alan talks **** all the time here about his Lambo and what a POS he thinks Ferrari is, just giving him a little reality to wake his little dream world up.

If you think they are cool who cares, talk all the crap about track times believe what you want, Lambos are tacky and overdone, they try too hard.They have never seriously raced so they fall into the poser category.

Ferrari has class and is in a different league, my wife is a part time teacher and told me she would be embarrassed to tell anyone I owned a Lambo vs saying I have a Ferrari.

Those that think Lambo is the best fine, go over to the lambotalk site and spout your B.S. all your want with the rest of the gold chain wearing crowd but get the f_ck out of here we are sick of your B.S.!

5. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Mark,

You don't have a Ferrari or Lamblo WTF do you know other than your quotes from fantasy rag magazines by authors who also don't own these cars and some biased tard like Alans worthless babble.

Rod Stewart is a real man too, like I care what that unic likes.

You are on the end of my list of whom I want respect from or care, all you do is whine about how inferior Ferrari is also.

6. Mark(study)

Mark(study) F1 Veteran

Oct 13, 2001
    Clearwater, FL
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Is Mr Bond a troll? Did someone get a new idea from all the Bond postings in the off-topic section?

Mr Bond has only 6 post but seems to be interested in stirring people up?

Who is hiding behind Mr Bond?

To the little man hiding behind the new fake name.... Welcome to F-chat, its nice to meet you :)

7. labcars

labcars Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 22, 2003
    Phila. + Scottsdale
    Allan, don't know you, and I don't now, nor will likely ever own a Lambo. They just don't do it for me.

That being said, as relates to Mr. Bond going ballistic on you, I got your back, buddy, on that pusillanimous pissant.

What's in the air these days, huh?

8. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Mr Bond, Is Mario Andretti a Rapper with gold teeth? He is quoted as saying that Lamborghinis are the best cars in the world.

As for what track do Lamborghinis whip Ferraris butt on. Well thats an easy one. Is the Nurburgring good for you? How about Hockenheim? The Lambos kick the crap out of Ferrari all day long. Also, by a long margin.

Mr Bond, James Bond, im unimpressed by your antics. What gives me the right to spill negative Ferrari babble as you call it, is EXPERIENCE. I have owned, and will own, more Ferraris than you will ever take pictures of. If you want to impress me, lets see you find 2 nickels to rub togther.

9. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    My dad can kick your dad's ass that's what this is, blah blah blah.

Regardless of this cat fight, I am a Ferrari fan, I like Lambos, but I am not impressed in the late models. I love the 68 350, the LM2000, and having driven an SVT in a few film stunt sequences, they are nice, but I shrug my head and nod. I have driven better Ultima kit cars than what Ferrari OR Lambo put out.

Whatever, I have a lot of respect for Alanlambo, he is kinda out of place in a Ferrari forum, although what fun would a forum be without point-counterpoint?

I propose a forum driver shoot out, the best driver from the Fchat and Lchat go head to head. Then this crap will stop.

Love, peace, axlegrease

10. Mr.Bond

Mr.Bond Rookie

Dec 29, 2003
    Right Alan

There you go spouting bullsh1t again, I have owned many Ferraris and driven a few Lambos and they are made like kit cars.

The fact is Lambo may make a hot lap or 2 but doesn't have the balls to enter any real competition and when they have they broke.Kind of like the boxer that gets lucky with one cheapshot but can't go the distance.

You must be bored to post so much crap here as you are stuck on some little island with nowhere to go, Hawaii is a nice place to visit, it but after a week I had rock fever and couldn't wait to leave and no desire to go back as there are much nicer places in the world to go, if you had 1/100th as much money as you think you have you would be leaving on private jet out of there each weekend or even a cheap commercial ticket and leave your car on the mainland you so you could drive it in one direction motr than 20 minutes.lol

11. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL! Impress me, lets see some of the cars youve owned. Post a registration. LOL Putz.

12. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    In defense of Lambo, I don't think the car you drive off the showroom floor is any better at holding up to track use than the Lambo someone else drove off the showroom floor. There was a thread recently about how tracked 360's have a clearance problem in the rods and require a rebuild or else the go boom. Bottom line is ANYONE racing these cars changes a LOT of stuff on the car. So whether a Ferrari or a Lambo would hold up longer in an enduro race, what does that have to do with anything? It's a completely fictional scenario, so why would that make you feel better about being an F-Car guy?

The only downer I can say about Diablos is I have heard the quality is crap. 2 of my friends own them. One just sold his VT 6.0 Roadster and is glad to be rid of it. Another had the infamous clutch replacement and it soured him for a while on the car. Another friend is a well known and respected tuner who does Lambo upgrades who told me he was shocked how badly engineered the cars were. He said the frame was wholly inadequate, poorly designed for strength, safety, and longevity, and that once the pretty leather and CF panels start coming off, the true "quality" of the car starts to show. He also said the Murcielago was in a totally different leage and was mechanically and structurally as good as it was visually.

As for me, I'd take a Diablo over a 550, just because I love the look of the Diablo, and honestly, no I would not race it and hence not care about its track performance too much. I'd cruise in it, do stoplight blasts, take it to nice dinners, go for cruises on the weekends with friends, maybe hit the dragstrip once in a blue moon or do a track day on the weekened once a year, but 99.9% of my ownership would be letting the car excite me visually, or with its acceleration or ability to take a corner quickly. And for that, the Diablo is a better choice IMO than the 550. I think and hope Ferrari will step up though... the generation I war (for me) was the Testarossa vs. Countach. I'd take a TR all day over any piece of junk Countach. Round two goes to Lambo post 1995, because after the 512M (which I'd take over a similar year Diablo), I would go Lambo over the 550 or 575. Round 3 started with the Murcie which I would take anyday over a 575, but let's see what Ferrari has up its sleeve. I've heard rumors of a mid-engine V12 top-of-the-line car coming back. We shall see. I do think Ferrari is resting on it's laurels by ignoring this class. Beyond the unobtanium-forged Enzo, they don't have anything in the 200k+ Supercar class with wild looks and wilder performance.

13. RacerX_GTO

RacerX_GTO F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Gabe V.
    Sheeez! I'm gone for a bit, and all hell breaks loose!

When I read that automotive journalists put the 550 up against the high end model of Lamborghini and have the audacity to say, "The 550 did not meet expectations" I would say in defense of Ferrari, "Yeah, that may be true, but you didn't perform your little comparison with Ferrari's top end model, did you?" My next statement, I say, due to the fact I have not read of any results. Regardless of price, and invitation to buy, put the Merc up against the Enzo. If I remember correctly, and help me out on this, the Enzo when the numbers were released, was on the heels of that other car called the McLaren. F1. I know you are saying, "Yeah Gabe, but we're talking about a $200K class comparison" To that I must bow out gracefully and say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize this was a Consumer Reports test."

I would have to say I share the same thought:

At the same token, in regards to Ferrari, you would be hard pressed to find a company with as many championship wins.

- Gabe V.

14. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Ahhh haaa, if it makes you feel better, even i will concede that the Ferrari Enzo is a better car than the Murcielago. But it makes me laugh, that you feel its ok, that Ferrari has to charge 3X the price in order to be able to do so.

15. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Hey Mike, when did the start making a VT 6.0 Roadster? Id like to buy one. Do i need to call the factory and have one specially made?

If your buddy roasted a clutch, send him for driving lessons.

Also, as for the quality on the Lambos being crap, thats also bullcrap. Just as good, if not better, than any subsequent Ferrari. I could give you a list 10 miles long on crap in the 355.

16. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    As for the Countach vs the TR, had both, Countach is far superior.

17. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Isn't this a VT roadster Allan?

18. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, but its not a 6.0 .

19. Mr Janne

Mr Janne Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    I love both Ferraris and Lambos. And the Murcielago and Gallardo are really quick, clearly faster than the 360 or 575, on Hockenheim and Nürburgrings Nordschleife. But on some of the posts here it sounds like Lambos are far superior on the track, and always has been. If we compare the 575M to the Diablo GT, which is considerably lighter and more powerful than the 575M, the times are almost identical on the tracks mentioned above.

Ferrari:
    Hockenheim: 1.14,7
    Nürburgring: 8.05

Lambo Diablo GT:
    Hockenheim: 1.14,4
    Nürburgring: 8.04

It seems to me that the 575M is the better handling car out of these two. My point is that the difference isn´t that big and both Ferrari and Lambo makes great cars.

20. Couldent Agree there both extremly fine cars and alot of the people out there would give there left nut to have either of them. All of this bashing Lambo Vs Ferrari is childish. Its obvious that Ferrari lacks the Performance characteristics of Lamborghini but Ferrari also shines in points on the track where lambo doesnt. But it doesnt matter both are fine cars and matters what your preference is.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Well I will have to agree on the trashy build of the Diablo. I had one at the shop that had an engine fire(attempted insurance scam)and the entire rear portion of the car had melted away leaving just the frame structure showing. The frame looked like it was made of square tubeing bought at Home Depot, and welded together by a ten year old.
    In comparision to the Countach frame, it looked terriable. The Coutach has a tubeular space frame that looks very substantial compaired to the Diablo. Just put each car on a hoist side by side and the differences are obvious.

But on the same line, the Ferrari's are slighly better but no by much. Their unit body construction is stronger but the parts they hang off it are cheap-o. Have a good look at a 348/355 control arm. Thin stamped steel. I have seen these crack and fail. The Lambo control arms on the other hand are of tubular steel and look very heavy duty. Ferrari used to have control arms like this on the TR's and even the little 308's. The ones they used on the 348/355 cars are just plain junk.

Another big problem with the later F-cars is the removable rear section of the frame TR, 348/355 and Mondial. This is a big structure problem with the cars. Remove the engine in a 348 and the car flexes so much that putting the engine back in requires pry bars...unless you use a peice of 2x4 to keep the car from comming in on itself.

Needless to say, each comany has there quality problems. They being such small companies something has to give some were. Lambo has the upper hand right now because of ownership by Audi. Ferrari has their history and a large following. Without that I don't think Ferrari would still be around today.

We should all take a step back and realiize Lambo has built fantastic cars and a company everybody knows. And they did it without haveing to race in F1, LeMans etc. They bulit the comany on the merits of their road cars. Lamborghini himself had no desier to go racing. He wanted to build road cars and thats it. The comany has kept with this idea and has been sucsessful. They company has been bankrupt a few times..but saved because of people who love the cars and hated to see a good thing disappear. I hope lambo beats the pants off Ferrari. I for one look forward to it. Only because it will give Ferrari the swift kick in the ass it needs to wake-up and smell the coffee and stop resting on the past. The new 612 wtf kind of Ferrari is that? That looks like a car a retired man would buy if they were all sold out of Bonnevilles.

22. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan

Absolutely true, but you could argue, since people here have brought this up concerning the Murci and 575M, that the Diablo is an 11 year old design, while the 575M, which is also a 2003 Model, the Diablo a 99 model, is much newer in design.

But your view and answer i respect, unlike the constant morons who continue to say lambos cannot stop or turn.

23. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    Dont mean to chime in at the wrong time, but Mr. Bond, I respectfully submit that you were a little harsh on allan. I love both marques, and firmly believe both have their strong points. Ferrari does have pedigree, but to suggest that the F1 to roadcar relationship is anything but in spirit is far off. And to say that the lambo is "classless?" You are aware that before being forced (im sure) to drive only fcars, Michael Schumacher did have a diablo? Mario Andretti too, Frank Sinatra, Jay Leno loves them... I dont think any car is "trashy" etc, they are just for different tastes, Friday night murcielago, Sunday morning Maranello;)

24. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    And in response to the last part of the thread, its only fair to compare the current offerings of both manufacturers, not sure what the 575 did around the Nordschleife, but if its 8:05, thats very good, but the murcielago has done so in professional hands in the 7:45ish range. Top times, really. Even the race tuned porsche GT3 only does it in the low 7:50's this with all weights stripped etc. These must be the best days for owning road cars:)

25. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    allan, lots of time on my hands as you can see, and i actually think your wrong here, the enzo is not a "better" car than the murcielago for STREET driving, the lambo is cheaper to service, the transmission is (in some of our opinions) more fun, it is much more practical (i know i like electric windows;)) and I can't help but feel that the enzo is just TOO low for any normal use. Also, the seats I think are better for any kind of ttrip. And the noise is better;) Enzo is still super, not sure why japanese designed though, I can def. see the influence...