Matching Ferrari Challenge Racing Suits?? | FerrariChat

Matching Ferrari Challenge Racing Suits??

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Brian C. Stradale, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    In the latest issue (#22) of Rosso Ferrari, on pg 39, there's a photo of a dozen or so of the Ferrari Challenge competitors. I notice that the majority of them are wearing very similar racing suits... almost like they were on the same team... though, you can see by the cars they are NOT on the same team.

Anyone know the story there? Why do they match so closely?

2. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    Brian,

OMP made a batch of Challenge suits for the drivers/racers a couple of years back. It's basically a middle of the line OMP suit with Challenge badging on them and a few of the series sponsors.

I was given one through Ferrari of Washington when my car was converted to run in the 2001 series. If they still make them or a dealer has one in stock you can purchase one. A friend of mine bought one from FOW for about $700 or thereabouts.

Unless you really have to have a Challenge suit I am not sure it's worth the $700 or so. I have four different Nomex race suits and the quality and fit of the OMP CHallenge suits ranks 3rd on the list. The material around the collar frays pretty easily and it's just not as comfortable as either of my two Sparcos.

If you are really interested in one I can post some digital photos of mine for a closer look at the suit.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Jon P. Kofod
    1995 F355 Challenge (for sale)
    www.flatoutracing.net

3. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Thanks, Jon. I am just about to order a Simpson Filament Nomex suit... with Ferrari logos and my own company logos... and was just working out the design... when I noticed the Ferrari challenge "look"... I would love to see a closer look at the suit... but I'd hate to trouble you... I think a magnifying glass against the magazine will probably reveal enough... but if you have the suit and a digital camera handy, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks,

Brian

4. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    You know if you go on the Ferrari owners site you can buy the OMP shumacher suit. It is pretty trick with a special collar so your neck doesn't get chaffed. That was a shumi addition. Also you don't want an old new challenge suit. If it is out of date your sanctioning body will not allow you to use it.

5. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #5 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Brian,

The Simpson suit is a very high quality suit. You can't go wrong with it. Here are some quick shots of my suit. The Skip Barber, Tag Heuer, Senna, and BMW patches were added. All other sponsor patches come on the suit.

In addition to the fraying collar, both arm pits have holes from the thread coming unraveled. Of course I have used the suit at least 75-100 track days so I tend to wear them out.

All in all, you could make the same suit but use a higher quality OMP suit. Other than some Challenge scripting on it there is nothing really special about it. If mine hadn't been free I doubt I would have spent $700 in it.

Regards,

Jon
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #6 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 1, 2004
  7. FLATOUTRACING

FLATOUTRACING F1 Rookie

Aug 20, 2001
    East Coast
    Full Name:
    Jon K.
    #7 FLATOUTRACING, Jan 1, 2004
  8. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Thanks a lot for the pics, Jon.

9. Brian C. Stradale

Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Yes, I considered that suit... especially as a Ferrari and MS fan. However, as a Texan, I want the coolest and best-breathing suit available... OMP's suits aren't nearly as cool (temperature) as the Stand21 and Simpson Filament Nomex suits. Right now I am leaning towards a Simpson MTO.25 suit... in silver with red accents and a Scuderia shield, matching my Ferrari.