Radar detectors | FerrariChat

Radar detectors

Discussion in 'Europe' started by ze_shark, Dec 20, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Has anyone had experience with detectors in continental Europe ? I have seen a few websites selling europeansized versions of popular US products, but the pricing is insane and I am wondering about the true performance. Any inputs ?

2. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    7-8 months ago, we have had this discussion on the old board....sorry can`t find it right now.
    IMHO the valentine 1 is too me the best one and works also pretty good in Germany;-)
    http://www.valentine1.com/
    There are different systems, also one with "built in rear mirror"...thats the one!!!!!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

3. rjdavatar

rjdavatar Rookie

Nov 17, 2003
    Zurich, Switzerland
    hi shark
    any idea what the legal position of the driver is,
    (particularly in CH)
    if one has radar detection installed?

4. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    that's very simple and like in many other countries: it's forbidden!

5. David G

David G Rookie

Nov 2, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have one somewhere (Whistler 945) that I don't use anymore ! Too much troubles in Switzerland if you are caught with it !

Around CHF 1000.- in fines more CHF 1000.- again for importation of illegal goods and your licence to drive will be cancelled for several months !

OTOH, it did work quite well ! ;)

6. yfc

yfc Karting

Dec 23, 2003
    Geneva / Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    A friend of mine do have a Bel Target Euro 550.

Based on the tests we performed together, I would say that in Switzerland it's ... pointless! There is far too much false alarm. Furthermore, the real one are not detect enough in advance.

7. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    The only one which still works in all european countries is VALENTINE 1!
    ....trust me it realy works / still 0 (zero) points in the registry...you know?!?
    Drop me a PM for more details/infos.

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

8. jbanzai

jbanzai Formula 3

Feb 1, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Full Name:
    Julio
    Also depends where you are going to use them.

Here in Spain, apart form illegal, they are for the most part worthless. The terrain is rugged enough that by the time you are alerted it is already too late.

And BTW, cops are smart enough to trigger the radar only when you are close enough that you can not avoid being detected, it is really easy to see who is going fast to do that.

IMHO tradar detectors are a waste of money.

Also it really feels bad when that thing beeps and inmediatelly after you see the radar or cop. At least with out radar detector you live confortably ignoring it until you get the ticket on the mail. ;)

In Germany Highways might be different though.

- Julio.