Upgraded Stereo for 550 | FerrariChat

Upgraded Stereo for 550

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by dwood1969, Jan 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    I would like to start by saying: HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL!!!

OK. Now for my question...I am interested in upgrading the stereo system in my 550 and I was looking for suggestions as to what I should do and which components I should buy. I do not need it to be something extraordinary - just a system that will sound good while driving around town with reasonable power and clarity.

TIA.

David

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    please keep us posted on what you find out and what you end up doing.

bobafett and i have both looked into new systems from high-end shops (on either coast). they seemed to suggest the same gameplan: new head unit, one multi-channel amp, new speakers up front, leave the rear fill speakers, fabricate a sub enclosure to go behind one of the seats (bobafett's suggested driver, mine suggest passenger).

i talked to my guy for a bit about the gory details. he said that with the f-cars you have to be careful about mounting stuff like the amp and sub enclosure - they focus on tying it to existing structure, for example, they suggested a low-profile amp under the driver's seat, but it would be tied to the seat structure, not bolted to the floor. i didn't quite grok whether this was a "return it to OEM" issue or something about never knowing what's where on tehse things, but i'll pass it along FWIW.

i haven't done anything yet. their quote was outside the scope of what i was willing to spend. the good news is that ferrari didn't do anything weird that would preclude you from swapping parts out yourself to see what happens (unlike some manufacturers that tie the "system" together in non-tamperable ways like benz and bmw with their data buses or jeep with their weird speakers).

the factory bose system in my S55 sounds quite impressive. it's really not shabby whatsoever. when i jump into the 550 i'm so incredibly underwhelmed - the stereo sounds like s h i t e, not to put too fine a point on it.

and spare us the "listen to the engine" refrains, girls. when you're doing a 200 mile drive on interstates, the engine isn't going to keep your attention the whole way.

doody.

3. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    Doody,

I am going to be talking to a guy here in town in the next week or so and I will let you know what he suggests. I too am not interested in going overboard on this - I was just hoping that there was some (relatively inexpensive) way of getting some reasonable tunes in the car. I have a 2002 Saab 95 Aero as a daily driver and the stereo system is night and day with the 550. I love listening to the sound of the car as much as the next guy but every now and then it is nice to crank up your favorite melody.

I will let you know what this local guy tells me and we can compare notes.

Thanks,
    David

P.S. I have the car back now (after 6 WEEKS!!!) so if you still need photos of the shelf let me know as I may be taking pics today.