What part of the suspension is this and is it broken? | FerrariChat

What part of the suspension is this and is it broken?

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by kdross, Dec 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Here are two pictures of the left side of my rear suspension. The part in question I believe is a bushing of the anti-roll bar and appears to be broken. Does this part need to be replaced, and how difficult is it to replace?

Thanks.
    Ken

2. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
  3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Not very expensive and you can do it yourself. Check the regular sources, Ferrari UK, Trutlands ect. You may want to upgrade to a urethane bushing rather than the rubber, will definately firm things up a bit. Is it actually broken?

4. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    This is what it looks like new and clean.

5. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    J Grande:

Holy crap, your car is super clean. How did you clean the underside? My car appears to have a coating that was applied for anti-rust reasons. That or the dirt is caked on really good. I will place my order with Ferrari UK asap.

Ken

6. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #6 jwise, Dec 30, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Yep- they are easy to replace. Energy Suspensions makes them in 18mm- I had to order them at Autozone and they took one day to get there and cost $15 or so. I've had no problem with them so far.

I got the type without grease fittings because the fitting would be pointing towards the ground, and my old ones were well deformed from hitting the road- so I could imagine one bump would rip those fittings clean off.. I had to slightly grind the brackets to accept the existing studs.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Ken,
    Not broken. What appears to have happened is you "bottomed" and dented the metal portion of the clamp, that holds the bushing, on the left side. A little bit of the edge of the bushing tore off....that's all. None of this is probably of much consequence, but if you wish, you could replace it. Might as well buy two, and do them both, if you are going to bother.

8. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    I cheated! I'm doing a complete restoration. See pics in the Showroom section. Try Trutlands, it's already in the US and you'd probably save on shipping. I usually put in a big order from the UK to save on shipping and duty.

9. Sean F.

Sean F. F1 Rookie

Feb 4, 2003
    Kansas
    Full Name:
    Sean F
    Jwise,

what is that exhaust you have on your car? Is that a custom?

10. DBR328&330

DBR328&330 Formula Junior

May 31, 2001
    Winchester, VA
    Full Name:
    Daniel Reese
    Ken, are you referring to the brown discoloration? Guys, dont shoot me as I am NOT a mechanic but I have this same thing on my left side and Ferrari of Wash told me it was fine and was that way because of coolant hitting it from the coolant overflow drain- ie not a problem.

Dan

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    Dan, Ken is refering to the piece missing from the bushing. It's a good idea to change bushings anyway, especially if they are original rubber. Remember, these cars are 20-30 years old now. Rubber degrades with time and gives quite a bit. A new set of urethane bushings and end link bushings will stiffen everything up and make the sway bar more effective. No use having a sway bar if the bushings have play in them. For the money and time it will take you to do it, it really is a no brainer.

12. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    jwise- send some more pix of your exhaust..hmmmmm very interesting, how does it sound ,and what is it made of/from ?

13. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Ken,
    Definitely not broken. Just missing a small piece of the rubber bushing in a non-critical spot. Get out from under the car and drive it. :)

Tom

Did you find your whale oil ?

14. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Tom:

I decided not to use the Whale Oil. I went out and purchased Agip Rotra LSX 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Oil. It cost about $70 for 12 liters, but I will also use it in my Alfa. Redline was also highly recommended.

Ken

15. joeyy

joeyy Karting

Nov 11, 2003
    long island
    Full Name:
    joe
    hey jwise,

nice exhaust, i bet your neighbors just luv you!!

16. jwise

jwise Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2003
    Portland Maine
    #16 jwise, Dec 31, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hope I'm not hijacking this thread-
    The exhaust is steel and is custom. I pulled it last summer to replace the cats and painted it at the same time.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    SW EEEEEEEEEEEET .

18. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    J. Grande, man, tell me you're getting new tires soon.

19. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2001
    La mamma dei fessi
    Full Name:
    e sempre incinta
    LOL! Those are just for holding the car off the ground!

20. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Why should he ? After all, you can still see the wear indicators. ;)

Great track tires.......in the dry. :)

Tom

21. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Hi kdross

You have bottomed out somewhere and chipped the metal, must have been a good bump, it shouldn’t affect your handling, but where the metal is sharp it may eventually damage the rubber, so sooner or later you will have to replace it.
    As J. Grande mentioned polyurethane bushings is the way to go.

Hi jwise

Nice, do you get any extra performance from your exhaust? Does it have any other mufflers or only in the tip? How noisy is it?

Hi J. Grande

Very nice, looks like you could eat off it. Nice slicks, too.

Steve

22. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
  23. fly

fly Karting

Nov 20, 2003
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Steve
  24. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Jonathan,
    you did tell me someone would say that (LOL)...

In our defense, I didn't have powder coating capability until Johnathan helped me install my oven late last week. Besides, Jonathan wanted to get the car back on the road so he could catch the last few good driving days before salt set in for the winter.

Conversation went something like:
    Jonathan said "After spending all evening sandblasting this A-arm, this powdercoating stuff better work."

Verell replied: "Help me unbox this powder coating kit."

Jonathan: "You mean that after I've done all this work, you're telling me that the 1st thing you'll have ever powdercoated will be my 308's a-arm ..."

Verell: "Of Course, I have to start somewhere. Besides, powdercoating is easy, not like painting. Besides I couldn't try it before we installed the oven earlier tonite..."

BTW, Jonathan looked much happier after I opened the oven to check on the powder & it had fused nicely. When it finally finished he was quite enthusiastic... We'll take a few pix of the next A-arm.

25. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Fly,
    Thanks for the comments. That was the first "how to" thing I posted here. Mostly I am like a vacuum, sucking up knowledge here, but for once I was able to work the other way and hopefully help someone else. This project to do my rear suspension (with a lot of help from Verell) will hopefully be done soon. We're taking lots of pics for another "how to" article. I'm just trying to avoid too much of the old "while we're at it" syndrome where you start out replacing a couple shocks and you end up sandblasting the entire frame...

Verell, you know I trusted you with the powder coating! It was the clay I wasn't so sure about!! ;-) I don't mind being a test mule as long as it looks better than when we started! Hey, the end links are off the car for that rear suspension rebuild, maybe we should powder coat them now....

heh heh heh

Birdman