308 GTSi Suspension Rebuild | FerrariChat

308 GTSi Suspension Rebuild

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by seschroeder, Jan 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. seschroeder

seschroeder Formula Junior

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Well, I've started my winter suspension "rebuild" project. New Koni shocks, ES bushings snd a complete cleaning/repainting of the parts. I'm still undecided about the ball joints as the current ones seem tight yet I hate to go this far without doing the job correctly. I'm also considering "upgrading" the road springs to slightly stiffer/lower ones. Does anyone have a good source for these? I would also like to replace the current roll bar link bushings with something firmer. The car isn't raced, only street driven. Suggestions?

As always. thanks i

2. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Hey Steve, I'm doing the same this winter.
    As far as stiffer/lower springs for the stock Konis,
    the choices are rather limited.
    Off the top of my head, I think I remember that superformance in the UK has some.
    The spring selection gets better if you go to an aftermarket shock to replace the stock Koni with as I did.

3. Owens84QV

Owens84QV F1 Rookie

Oct 2, 2001
    Somewhere in NC
    Full Name:
    Greg
    I'm doing mine this Feb/March. With all of the bushings, tie rods, ball joints, new shocks, etc...the tab should be ~ $1800.00. I was going to have Nicks and Superformance price the parts list.

Where have you purchased your parts from?

4. seschroeder

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    I purchased the Konis from the Tire Rack, bushings from Nick, and the rest from Ferrari UK. I suspect your $1,800.00 estimate is going to be very close.

5. Bob308GTS

Bob308GTS Formula 3

Sep 26, 2001
    Aurora,IL
    Full Name:
    Bob Campen
    I'm doing the same on my 79 308, total in parts right at $2200, most parts from Ferrari UK, shocks from tirerack some rear outer bushing parts from McCann and ES bushings for all the inners and swaybars

6. seschroeder

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Seems to be "Suspension" season for us 308'ers.

7. Bob Downing

Bob Downing Karting

Nov 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    BobD
    Hypercoil will sell you springs. http://www.hypercoils.com They supply CART and IRL cars also. Call them. I recall they can sell normal springs, lowering springs, race springs. etc. And I believe they are fairly reasonable @ 180$ per spring.

8. gerritv

gerritv Formula 3

Jun 18, 2001
    St Catharines
    Full Name:
    Gerrit
    Hi
    I did the suspension etc. on my 308GT4 last winter. Photos at http://dino308gt4.com. I also had the calipers rebuilt, all parts replated to correct colours, new brake hoses, new rear hub bearings, replaced cv joint boots and grease (VERY messy job but worth it to know there are o problems in that area).

Superformance shock bushings are a bit different from the originals. They seem to work fine however.

9. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I just finished the rear hubs, front and rear a-arm bushings and am now rebuilding the 4 brake calipers. I have 1 rear caliper to go then I'm finished with all 4 corners. I haven't decided what I'm going to do with the shocks. Koni's or change to adjustable aluminum?
    I now have a digital camera (finally) and as soon as I learn how to post photos I will post some of what I've done already. (Any help here?)
    As far as ordering parts, I went to Superformance, Rutlands and my local Ferrari dealer. So far my vote is for Rutlands. Superformance is good but with the shipping and duty costs I could have and would have gladly bought the stuff from someone closer and still might have been less then Superformance.
    Have'n fun!

10. Jet Lag

Jet Lag Karting

Dec 6, 2003
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Robert Bangs
    #10 Jet Lag, Jan 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I am also going to rebuild my suspension this winter. I did a repair last year (see picture) This year I want to do it right, and your posts sure help… thanks to all! ..

Gerritv: great series of pictures!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    hey Jet...Thats a recall problem. Take your car to the dealer!!

12. MRFOTOS

MRFOTOS Karting

May 26, 2003
    Maui, Hi
    Please give more info on this recall, years/models ?

thanks tbakowsky

13. pma1010

pma1010 F1 Rookie

Jul 21, 2002
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Philip
    Steve
    I re-did shocks, bushings etc last winter and have played around quite a bit with settings at the track. I put on an adjustable ARB (rear) last year and have a 22mm front being built. Each of these was $225 - 250 including end links (source: Saner Performance Fabrication).

I have also just bought a set of springs from Phil Warburton (at QV London). He makes a 20% stiffer, slightly shorter spring for 160 pounds sterling (about $280) for a set of 4. They are in shipment so will advise any issues when I put them on.

HTH
    Philip

14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    A member asked me the following questions. Guess he's feeling a bit shy. However, since the answers are relevant to this thread, I'm responding here.

Anyone have the rear suspension Baum tool they'd loan/rent to a fellow member? If so, send me eMAIL & I'll fwd it to the asker.

Haven't gotten into them, but I'm, reasonably sure they're re-packable.

I use Valvoline's DuraBlend synthetic moly fortified grease for both wheel bearings & the half-shaft CV bearings. The critical element is the moly which Ferrari WSMs specify.

Almost any modern moly based synthetic grease rated for CV joint applications should be fine. Modern synthetic greases have 25 years of FWD CV joint reliability driven technology advances over the fairly crude dino greases of the early '70s that were available when the 308 was designed. Moly was just coming into general use back then. Another good one is the Mobil 1 synthetic grease.

The hallf-shafts are completely separated from the wheel bearings as you'll see when you pull things apart. BTW, the half-shafts have funny washer like balancing weights that span across pairs of the bolts. Be sure to note/mark where each comes off.

Be very careful handling the half-shafts. The bearings are relatively fragile & can be damaged by letting the weight of the shaft plus 1 end drop suddenly, thus taking the supporting bearing to it's travel limits. The WSM warns against this.

15. seschroeder

Apr 25, 2002
    Alexandria, VA
    Full Name:
    Steve Schroeder
    Well, so far so good. The front suspension came apart nicely without any problems or surprises. I'm take the parts to be cleaned and power-coated. Haven't had much luck finding a "rebuild" kit, that actually has ALL the pieces, for the front calipers. This weekend the front wheel wells will be cleaned and paint. The whole thing should go back together nicely. I've decided to stick with shock springs and roll-bars as the vehicle is never raced or auto-crossed.

Thanks to all for the advice and help to date.

Steve Schroeder