DE-neutered Maranello !!!! | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DE-neutered Maranello !!!!

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Doody, Nov 26, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    It's really easy to install if you have access to a lift. A bit more difficult if you are lying on your back due to more restricted access and the sheer weight of the OEM cans. If I recall correctly the OEM can is held onto the hangers by 2 or 4 bolts, then there are the 2 bolts on the pipe flange. Don't forget to plug the vaccum line to the by pass valve actuator since the Tubi's don't have the by pass valve. If you have not checked your owner's manual, then have a look. There is a very good schematic drawing of the exhaust system and by-pass valve vaccum circuit.

I actually had my local Ferrari dealer install my set. My 550 is out of warrenty so I didn't care. Beside, the service manager is a pretty cool guy, he even helped me to put big brake kit on my 355's front a couple of years ago. Charged me about US$250 for the Tubi install, but that includes picking up and dropping off the car at my place. Could have and would have done it myself, but too busy lately. At any rate if you are concerned about voiding your warrenty, then just take it to any good independent garage. It should take them no more than 1 hour to do it. One thing you do have to watch out is not to scratch the polished tips while removing the OEM can or intalling the new Tubi. The wire mesh screen on the rear bumper that goes around the tips have pretty sharp inside edges. I would recommend you wrap the tips with thick towel and tape them down while working on them.

If you want I will try to take a picture of my tube-only Tubi from the bottom up angle for you.

2. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    For those who have put the Stebro X-pipe, how is it? Will it create a lot more noise at low RPM? I am looking for more exhaust note at RPM and same level of noise at low RPM. Any comments?? I have installed koenig muffler.

3. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    See the above posts from me and David Scott, but the Stebro center section is the answer to your prayers. It is NO louder at idle, where I had plenty of rumble before; if anything it seems to have lost a little of the deep bass, and added a bit of raspiness. Cruising with the windows up it is not any louder and there's no drone at all, maybe a little more of the raspy character.

In the higher rpm's, with the throttle open and the windows down it is magnificent! The only problem is that the music is so addictive and the car's so damn fast that you end up with very few places where you can enjoy the sound for more than a few seconds before you're going 120+mph!

After helping me install mine, Dave ordered one for his Maranello. Now once we have the two running together........

Mark McKenzie

4. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Mark:
    I PM'd Dave about the install...I have one sitting in my garage (Thanks Hannukah Harry) and just need time/lift to do it. Does it reuse factory clamps? or what else will I need. Couple little shipping dings too, but not too bad.
    TIA
    Lee

5. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Pics would be most appreciated, thanks.
    I have access to a lift so this should help. I went to take a look underneath the car, the flat panel does not cover the mufflers so they are fairly accessible, but these cans are indeed BIG.

Btw, seems that the Tubi mufflers were changed around the time of the intro of the 575. Still thinking about going with the straight pipes.

6. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    QUESTION

so how does one definitively tell if they have the "old-style" tubi cans -vs- the "new-style" tubi cans?

is there some visual difference? or (accessible) stamped data like a part number?

doody.

7. redcar1

redcar1 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    austin, tx
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Yeah, reuse the factory clamps, you won't need any gaskets or fasteners. Remove one little crossmember, and it is all pretty straightforward, although we had to wrestle a bit with the pipes.

Good Luck, Enjoy the Music...
    Mark McKenzie

8. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #58 cwwhk, Jan 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Here are 3 pictures showing the Tubi tube-only set up. Note that in one of the pictures the vacuum line is plugged by a screw and tied next to the red exhaust hanger block.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    I don't know exactly, but if Tubistyle is a serious manufacturer, there must be some part number, datecode or traceability information stamped in the sheet metal (odds are that if there is one, it's invisible once mounted, could not be that easy, could it ? :) ). Based on Manu's info, all Tubi mufflers sold or made prior to 2002 (maybe late 2001) are the old model.

10. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #60 cwwhk, Jan 1, 2004
  11. cwwhk

cwwhk Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    Hong Kong, Tokyo
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    #61 cwwhk, Jan 1, 2004
  12. Jim Converse

Jim Converse Rookie

Dec 6, 2003
    Camarillo, Ca.
    Full Name:
    550Jim
    Very interesting discussion on Maranello exhaust systems. I'm a new 550 owner and sounds like (a pun?) the Stedbro "X" pipe and the tube Tubi's would be a good way to go. Doody, what are you going to do? Maranelloman have you completed your mods yet? Satisfied with the sound?
    I, too, am not happy with the resonance of the stock system.

13. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

Jim, I am awaiting the X pipe to arrive. I helped RedCar with his installation, and I would say the results are remarkable!! He will help me with mine, and I'll post here then...

14. yimn

yimn Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    Nick Yim
    For those who has put the x-pipe on, have you noticed any decrease in low-end torque? Is there more vibration from the engine? Or any other side-effects?

15. 410SA

410SA F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    A
    Anybody here heard a Capristo exhaust installed on a 575 (or 550 for that matter)?

I found a site using Google (HG Parts http://www.andale.com/store) that had pics of the Tubi, the Fuchs and the Capristo and the cparisto looks really goof. Different from the OEM looking stuff from Tubi and Fuchs.

16. Wolfgang

Wolfgang F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 8, 2003
    Heidelberg, Germany
    Full Name:
    Wolfgang
    Hi alexpapas,
    thats the site from HEIKO, HG Parts Germany. He is a long time sponsor
    of ferrarichat.com. Drop him an email and he will be happy to answer you very fast & friendly.
    I have heard the CAPRISTO on the road with: 328, 355 and 360
    Its unbelievable and so close to the F1 sound.
    I have a TUBI with test pipes in my testarossa and thought thats the one to die for?! Now I`m waiting for the Capristo!!!!

Wolfarossa
    FORZA FERRARI

17. dwood1969

dwood1969 Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Charlotte, NC
    Full Name:
    David Wood
    Alexpapas,

I ordered the Capristo for my 550 from Heiko about a week ago. I hope to have it on the car by the end of January. I will post my impressions at that time.

Later.

18. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Can the folks that have the Stebro X-pipe post some feedback on whether installing the X-pipe with the standard 550 cans make much aural difference?

From the point of incremental changes, it seems putting the Stebro on first is the least costly change if all you wanted was to change the sound (rather than cut down weight)

19. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    The dealer I bought my 550 from is categoric: mounting a Tubi voids the Ferrari warranty on the car. I would have thought that Tubi had some kind of official endorsement from the factory. May have to wait another 11 months to de-neuter the animal unless my local/usual dealer infirms that statement.

20. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    No Tubi voids any warranty on any car. He is so wrong it's funny. What dealer is this?

21. udalmia

udalmia Guest

i thought federal law states for aftermarket parts that only the part being replaced has its warranty void

22. ze_shark

ze_shark Formula 3

Jul 13, 2003
    Switzerland (NW)
    Well, if that is the case, I am afraid that federal law applies only to the US.
    Dealer is Foitek, and strictly speaking, he's right. If you read the booklet, any modification which has not been authorised by Ferrari voids the 1 year Power warranty.

23. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Here's the law in California. Any automotive aftermarket or OEM accessory must be CARB (California Air Resources Board) certified. Any CARB certified device cannot globally void any warranty, except as directly caused by the failure of the part. The part itself is not covered by the auto manufacturers warranty. So putting a Tubi on, will not void the warranty on your transmission or driveshaft or climate control or piston rods or any such thing. That is my amateur analysis of the law. Having said that, I don't know of any Ferrari dealer in Los Angeles that will not be GLAD to install a Tubi on your car for you at great expense.

24. maranelloman

maranelloman Guest

A while back, FNA proclaimed to its dealers that, if a vehicle came in for warranty repairs and had a Tubi (or, I presume, another aftermarket exhaust), and those warranty repairs were somehow related to engine, emissions, or exhaust systems, then they mandated that the car have the OEM exhaust put back on for FNA to reimburse warranty repairs. I got this direct from the Director of Service & Parts at an authorized North America dealer. Atthe time, he was not sure the reasons for this edict, but it was crystal-clear...

25. rudy

rudy Formula Junior

Jan 13, 2004
    Los Angeles California
    Full Name:
    Rudy Hassen
    Ferrari NA cannot deny emissions service on a car that has street legal parts on it. Also, Ferrari dealers sell a lot of cars with Tubi exhausts on them with Ferrari warranties. Maybe it's different in Texas but I don't see how.