355 alarm flash problem | FerrariChat

355 alarm flash problem

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by rossofiorano355, Dec 22, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    1998 355 f1 - every few weeks when I disarm the ignition kill with my remote before starting, I do not get the 2 beeps and my left directional flasher stays on. both front and rear lights stay on at all times, as well as the corresponding dash light. symptoms go away after a few days and all is back to normal for a few more weeks. no pattern to the problem, seems to have a mind of its own. anyone else experience this quirk?

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    these sorts of weird alarm things are often linked to the battery in the alarm unit dying. it's of a crappy design, and the rechargeable battery built into the unit does not last very long unless you drive the car constantly. my 355 was on its second unit when i sold it. my 550 is on its third unit (same part), though on the 550 they purportedly updated it so it'd stop discharging like it used to (i'll believe it when i see it).

just a theory for you.

doody.

3. FL 355

FL 355 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2002
    Ft Laud
    Full Name:
    Frank Lipinski
    Doody is right...sounds like the battery in the alarm. Mine is a 97 and still works 100%.

Here's a tip that may prolong the life of the battery that I use:

If you don't use the remote and let it arm automatically, then get in the car, turn the key to ignition "on"...then hit the button. The light will stop blinking, but it will not beep and blink the lights. Start Car.

All this step does is save engergy from the battery from sending signal to lights and beeper..

4. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron
    thanks FL, but it seems my problem is something else. after disconnecting the alarm siren/battery module, the alarm LED went continuous on while driving, signaling a problem. once reinstalled, LED worked fine. i conclude from this that the battery still has power. also, after the simptoms went away the last time, i put my left blinker on in the garage to see what would happen. after 30 seconds or so the blinker stopped and the subject condition started. seems the problem might be turn signal related rather than alarm related.
    any thoughts?
    thanks