Why is the 360 so fast? | FerrariChat

Why is the 360 so fast?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Aircon, Jan 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Can anyone explain to me why the 360 is slower over a 1/4 mile, but whips the butt of the 911 turbo Murcielago and Gallardo from 60-100?

It's like it's only just getting going! Is it because the others have 4wd and it's only THAT as the reason for the good 1/4 mile numbers? If so, I'd rather stick with the 2wd thanks! Surely that would indicate that in the real world where one doesn't usually have standing start drags, the 360 is the better performer?

Figures from here...

http://www.syclone.freeserve.co.uk/rivals_cars.htm

2. H2OTT

H2OTT Rookie

Nov 6, 2003
    and beautiful, however it is not faster than a murcielago and porsche turbo in any time bracket. Many of the stats in the link seem incorrect to my knowledge and memory of magazine tests. Porsche Turbo factory tests show 0-100mph in 9.2 secs and I have seen repeated magazine tests of under 9.0 secs(such as 8.8secs). The 360, on the other hand , has repeatedly tested at 0-100 in about 10 secs(even 10.9secs), the 9.0 was an anomoly with regards to usual test results. All of this is racing on paper which I hate, Bottom line Porsche Turbo fast fast fast, 360 beautiful, great handeling fast enough and a ferrari, nuff said!

P.S. The incredible 360 CS has repeatedly tested at 9-9.4 secs 0-100 go figure.

3. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Blah...only one way to find out...I'll go time one myself! Even with speedo error, I might really be timing 55-95 (indicated 60-100) or something....but close enough for me. What you say makes sense, though.

4. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Yes, that chart is completely off. It lists the Gallardos 1/4 trap speed at 114, and the Murcielagos at 116. The Murcielago runs right around 123, the Gallardo is around 122, while the 360, which it lists at 120(lol) is usually around 112mph.

5. Aircon

BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Well that just pisses me off! What the point of someone going to all the trouble of putting together a chart like that if all/some figures are wrong? Doesn't make for very interesting reading then, does it?

6. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    makes for very interesting reading! just not much in real world practicality...and also someone a few days ago said that the first 99 360s tested in the 12-12.1 q/m range...this is dreaming, I think a good go in the car is about maybe 12.6-12.8. People should really be looking more at the speed at the end of the quarter, as this is a much better indicator, telling that it may not just be a bad launch, i find.