BRAKE JOB ON '88 MONDIAL | FerrariChat

BRAKE JOB ON '88 MONDIAL

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by TOM B, Jan 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    The front pads needed replacing. Since the calipers need to be removed to pull the pads, I decided to remove the discs as well and have them cut. My local NAPA promises to have them ready within an hour of dropping them off tomorrow morning. The pads I chose are the stock ATE pads for the car.

The entire process, both sides, took 2 hours at a leisurely pace. Tomorrow morning i'll drop the discs off for resurfacing , clean up the calipers, install the new pads and resurfaced discs. I'll report back tomorrow but so far, pretty uneventful. :)

Tom

2. davem

davem F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2002
    Stepford, Connecticut
    Full Name:
    dave m
    Are the discs thick enough to be cut without warping them??
    Sounds great if you can do it.

3. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Davem,
    as you are probably aware, "turning" or lathing down the rotor in itself doesn't warp the rotor, but any time you "true" them up, and remove some metal you are removing some of the "heat sink" capabilities of the rotor. I would think for most street driving it is of no consequence, but for occaisional track use, it may be preferable to replace the rotors rather than put them on a lathe. The discs are usually marked with a min. spec thickness, and as long as you don't go below this, you should be fine for street driving.

4. Joe G.

Joe G. Formula 3
    BANNED

Dec 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Joe Gazzani
    How many miles are on your Mondial ?

I'm curious because they seem to be able to go a long ways before needing new pads.

5. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Dave,
    The discs aren't marked anywhere that I can see. The workshop manual gives a thickness of 22mm, after turning, 20mm minimum.

Tom

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Joe,
    I'd have to agree with you. I've got 77,000 miles on the car and didn't see any reference to brake work done in the documentation when I bought it. 47,000 of those miles occurred since I took possession 3 years ago. and this is the first pad replacement i've done.

Tom

7. Modificata

Modificata F1 Rookie

Apr 27, 2003
    Hampton, England
    Full Name:
    Andy Rasool
    Tom thats phenominal! 47K miles in 3 years and only one pad replacement. So apart form the brakes what else has the car cost you in your ownership? Also does the mileage creeping up worry you?

8. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Well, it's done. Everything went back together fairly easily. The newly cut discs measured 20.5 mm and the guy who did the work said only one was very slightly warped , but cutting it on the lathe trued it right up.

The only thing that made me pause was when putting the first disc back on the hub. Now how was I going to line up the holes in the disc with the holes in the hub ? I used two of Hill's Engineering (FChat sponsor) wheel hangers. They are made to assist in mounting your wheels but did a dandy job of mounting the brake disc to the hub. :)

This morning i'll road test the car.

Tom

9. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Just got back from getting gas. Took it easy for the first few miles, often applying the brakes with light to moderate pressure. After about 8 miles I increased the braking pressure up to and past "normal". No fade, pulling, or noises. :)

Tom

10. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Adnaan,

The only major expense was earlier this year when I had the only major service done in the car's history. Cam belts, CV joint boots, etc.
    All the rest, I did myself. All-in-all , nothing you wouldn't expect from from a 16 year old car.

Tom