355 Steering wheel. | FerrariChat

355 Steering wheel.

Discussion in '348/355' started by madturk, Nov 6, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    DO you guys no of any steering wheels that can replace the 355 steering wheel. Not momo or sparco. They just look to civiv to me. I am thinking something like the 360 Modena steering wheel but it won't fit.
    Any info will be great thanks guys.

2. Mitch Alsup

Mitch Alsup F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    With a modicum of machining, anything can be made to fit.

3. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    I would love to get my hands on a non-airbag version of the 355 steering wheel as seen in Europe in the early production runs. While there, might as well include an ABS switch to fill in the circle beside the ashtray.

4. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison

I wonder if Jeff Howe in the UK can supply? as I'd probably be interested as well.

Jeff Davison

5. pino

pino Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    South Central PA
    I don't think the 355 is quite old enough yet to qualify for the Ferrari UK
    parts supply arrangement. But if it can be done, I'm sure Mr. Howe and his team can figure a way to make it happen.

6. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Cool, so I am not alone after all. I thought that no other Ferrari owner changed anything about their cars.
    The nicest steerin wheel I've ever seen is the one on the 360 Challenge Stradale! With the red on top like that. That thing would be perfect for match for my interior. Cause I have red carbon fiber seats and the bottom of the dash is red. I could buy that steering wheel for about $4000.00 or so. But again it won't fit.
    Any bright ideas?????

7. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Does anyone have a picture of an early european 355 steering wheel???
    Thanks

8. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Get the OMP suede wheel which was used on the Challange cars. I put it on my F355 and it looks great and it is flat bottomed so makes getting in and out easier.

9. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison

Pics???? Adapters????? Pics of adapters????

Vendors????????

inquiring minds want to know!

Thanks Bob

JD

10. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    #10 AJS328, Nov 6, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The early Euro 355 steering wheel was similar to the early Euro 456 GT wheel except that it is all black compared to the two-tone 456 wheel. Here is the 456 wheel.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    #11 AJS328, Nov 6, 2003
  12. F355Bob

F355Bob Formula 3

Any of the aftermarket dealers would carry OMP products. I got the adapter off of a Challange car. I don't think anybody, OMP, MOMO etc carrys and adapter so you would have to have on made. The wheel bolts pattern is the same for OMP and MOMO. I had several pictures but can't find them now. I will post it, if I find them.

13. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison

I have Chris at T-Ritlands checking on availability of the 355 Challange hub adapter. Will check back with him next Monday.

Also Ken in parts @ FOA is checking as well.

JD

14. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I wanted to replace the standard airbag F355 wheel with a MOMO steering wheel (many late model non-airbag Ferrari steering wheels are produced by MOMO, with a standard MOMO 6 bolt pattern). On my 348, it was easy to remove/replace; simply unscrew the 6 allen head bolts, and voila!.

For the 355, after you remove the wheel, there is a round metal hub piece that connects to the wheel with 4 bolts. The hub piece itself connects to the column via a notched cylinder with a large nut. The MOMO hub adapter does NOT fit.

The 355 Challenge use a spacer/adapter to fit a non-airbag wheel. The spacer has four holes to attach to the stock hub piece, and then 6 holes on the other end to mount the wheel to it. I've seen variations of
    this spacer on different Challenge cars. According to the Challenge manual, this spacer should be MACHINED -- it is NOT a Ferrari part. The manual even gives a diagram with dimensions for the machine shop.

Sheesh!!!

Well, I finally got it done. Here's how to do it.

1. Get yourself a special adapter. I called every Ferrari Dealer with a challenge team in this country, and not one had a spare adapter (or was willing to admit it). So, I sucked it up, and had one made (and a few others at the same time). Not cheap, though. There are NO machine marks on mine... hewn from a solid slug of aluminum. Feels fantastic.

2. Remove the airbag from the wheel. FIRST, DISCONNECT THE BATTERY, GO BACK INTO THE HOUSE, MAKE YOURSELF A SANDWICH, PLAY WITH THE DOG, THEN AND ONLY THEN PROCEED. The airbag is attached to the wheel itself from the back; if you feel the back of the wheel, there are two countersunk holes where you can remove two "security" Torx-head bolts (these are special bolts, designed to be a huge pain in the ass to remove to prevent theft of the wheel. You can buy a set of the "security" Torx drivers at many parts stores.) Once the bolts are out, the airbag just pops off. The horn wires can be disconnected by popping the two connectors. The air bag connector looks hugely complicated. I spent 15 minutes slowly trying to figure out how to remove it without blowing myself up. Finally, in my efforts to unclip it, I inadvertantly yanked on the cord, and the plug dropped out of the wheel. Duh. Remove the airbag now, and put into a very safe place - keep it away from humidity, store it facing up, and don't let people futz with it.

3. Disable the airbag light; either remove the instrument pod and pull the wire, or use a little piece of black electrical tape, or live with it.

4. Remove wheel from column. Four bolts, allen head, simple.

5. Install adapter to column. Again, four bolts.

6. Install Momo/Omp wheel to adapter. Six bolts (these should have come with the wheel).

7. Wire up the horn; this will be interesting, as the 355 horn wires are connected via a male blade on the positive wire and a female receptacle on the ground, while the Momo horn button has two male blades, or a male blade and a female hole for insertion of the ground wire sans blade. So, you may need to do a little simple wiring; very, very uncomplicated.

8. Snap in horn button. Voila! I did, two weeks after the install, get a Ferrari horn button to replace the Momo Corse button, in case that, while driving, I utterly forget the marque of the car I'm driving.

NOTE:

This will leave the new wheel at about the same distance from the panel as the airbag wheel, if you want the wheel closer to you, you'll have to install a spacer as well. I'm on the tall side (6'3"), and had some difficulty fitting in the car. I resigned myself to the "Italian driving position" -- seat slid back, backrest reclined, arms straight out, chin on chest. Well, that's all well and good, but the reach to the wheel meant that control was sub-optimal. I did, and used (once again, to my utter satisfaction) the Tekniq Auto spacer.

By adding a couple of inches, it allows me to be much more comfortable. This spacer is also a quick-disconnect, designed so that I could pop the wheel off instantly, intended for racing applications -- great, an added measure of safety for DE events.

Well, this also worked quite well as the "anti-club". How is someone going to steal the car if there is no steering wheel in it? Just park it, pop the wheel out, and take it with you (the problem, of course, is walking into the restaurant and plopping the Ferrari steering wheel down onto the bar).

The adapters added maybe a half inch each, while the snap-off was just over an inch, maybe? So, it extended my wheel by 2-2.5 inches or so -- perfect.

Happy as a clam, now.

* * * If anyone wants one of these machined aluminum wheel adapters, let me know. Like I said, NOT cheap. $400 plus shipping.

vty,

--Dennis

15. jeffdavison

jeffdavison F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 29, 2002
    Suwanee Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jeffrey Davison
    Dennis,

Could you scan the drawing? I have local facilities for custom machine work.

Thanks!

Jeff

16. Steph355au

Steph355au Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    95 no airbag wheel.

17. madturk

madturk Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 2, 2003
    Williston, ND
    Full Name:
    Seyhan Kilincci
    Hey guys, first I wanna say thank you all for all the info.
    So far I like the 360 steering wheel still the best but I guess no one knows how to install one of those. My second choice is gonna have to be the early non airbag 355 wheel. I like the suede challange wheel but it is too small I think. Other wise I like suede cause the top of my dash is suede ( alacantra or whatever they call that type of suede ). Anyways thanks guys, I'll let you all know how it turned out.

18. BigHead

BigHead Formula Junior

Oct 31, 2003
    Outside of Boston
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Your local shop should have the schematic. It's in the 355 Challenge shop manual (I don't have it). Good luck!

vty,

--Dennis

19. ferrarist

ferrarist Formula Junior

Mar 16, 2001
    Istanbul / TURKEY
    Full Name:
    I.K.
  20. 355fiorano

355fiorano Formula Junior

Oct 21, 2003
    London
    Full Name:
    Philip
    I was just out this afternoon with a friend that just got a 2001 550 and the steering wheel is fantastic. I was thinking about putting one in my 355 if it fits. Does anyone know if it does or if I need to make adjustments ?

21. NA1

NA1 Rookie

Jan 12, 2004
    This is the Momo Driver steering wheel. Aside from the aluminum inlay at the top and the fact that there's no airbag, it is identical to the 360 Modena steering wheel.

Check it out here: http://www.momo.it/momoeng/set1.html

22. Doug.

Doug. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Did you try Premier Motorsports?

23. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

#23 Ricambi America, Sep 1, 2007
    I hate to bring up a VERY old thread, but I was trying to find the nut size on my 348 wheel so I could remove it. It's so nice and air-conditioned here at my computer, and so dang hot outside. Anyone have the nut size offhand? I'm going to try fitting one of these babies, since we have a few.

(and one other secret item will be fitted to the car. Details to come)
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. 285ferrari

285ferrari Two Time F1 World Champ
    Sponsor

Sep 11, 2004
    Southern Md
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    Secret item??? Can't wait to se that!!!

25. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

Unfortunately it is a 348-only thing. It would not fit a 355, nor do 355 folks even need this item.

Still looking for nut size.... Anyone?