alternator removal | FerrariChat

alternator removal

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by jimangle, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimangle

jimangle F1 Rookie

Nov 5, 2003
    Haverford
    Full Name:
    James
    Hi guys,
    I was wondering if anyone here could tell me what's the easiest way of removing an alternator on a 79 308gts is with the engine in the car?
    Thanks,
    Jim

2. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    If you know you only have to replace the voltage regulator (known to fail), then it can be done without removing the alternator at all (but tricky. You have small hands/fingers?...).

If you're unsure of what has failed, or know that it isn't the regulator, then it must be removed and I've found that the only real easy way is to partially drain the coolant, disconnect the top hose to the thermostat housing and move aside that coolant pipe (runs in front of the engine and is in the way of the alternator). This opens up an area where the alt. may be extracted from the car (my experience with a GT4).

3. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Well I don't think there is an easy way to do this. It is not difficult but somewhat a PITA to do. Like with any lower engine work you need to remove the tire and then the inner fender liner. Once there need to remove the AC belt and tensioner. May need to remove lower AC bracket. Then disconnect alt. brackets and remove wires (I assume you disconnected the battery). Now I worked the alt past the rad. pipe but if I were to do it again I would drain the top of the system and remove the alum. rad. pipe from the top. Then just pull the alt out. Also if you get it rebuilt have them up the power to 80amps. Make sure that you get the same pulley back. Mine cost $100 to get the rebuilt done. Standard Bosch alt. Good luck and welcome to the club.