Got my 512TR, sort of | FerrariChat

Got my 512TR, sort of

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by stuart, Dec 7, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    After many months of looking I found my dream 512TR to replace my Testarossa. A one owner car from Hawaii, 3900 miles and never seviced. Well maybe an oil change. I left it at the local ferrari dealership for a few days before I took delivery and other than the Tubi the car is untouched. The biggest problem is that from 1997 to now there were only 700 miles put on the car and that is a problem. There is oil leaking through the throwout bearing so the car is not very driveable. I am having the full 30K mile service done before I take the car out of the dealer. The general opinion was that I was crazy to drive the car with the 11 year old cam belt. I hope to have the car in a few weeks and I will post pic's. By the way anyone out there from Hawaii that might know the car, the dealer that sold it new is out of business and the current dealer has never seen the car.
    Thanks, Stuart

2. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Congratulations, I think they are the most beautiful road Ferraris, I have 2, silver & black. Good idea to wait & do the 30k, Did you get a good deal on it? Are you shipping it to CA ? Might want to try DAS, Ive used them a lot over the years with no problems

3. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    kudos! post some pics as soon as you can!

doody.

4. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    STUART

GREAT LUCK TO YOU...MY FAVORITE CAR TOO....MY WIFE CANT UNDERSTAND THE XTRA 40 HORSE ON THE 512 AS COMPARED TO MY 88 TR, O, WELL,

MAY I ASK THE YEAR AND PURCHASE PRICE??

THANKS
    BRUCE

5. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Sheesh, what kind of moron drives a great car like that 3900 miles & never services it ? Did the owner die or something ?

Ask your shop to check the Main engine seals, I'm sure they will need replacing too. ALso since its in the shop, if you like your car Loud :) You may ask them to replce the cats w test pipes, sounds magnificent that way. Good luck, enjoy it & please drive the H out of it :)

6. Wildwarrior

Wildwarrior Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2003
    PA
    Full Name:
    Glen Winters
    You are going to love you'r car a total blast to drive, Congratulations! and enjoy. Also as William mentioned the test pipes are awsome with Tubi if you like her a bit louder, as some of us do.

7. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I purchased this car through a friend who is also a broker and had been looking for a 512 for me for many months. The car was in LA on its way to Tucson, AZ. Another broker had purchased the car in Hawaii and was located in Tucson. I paid $87,500 which is really $95K, if you consider the 30K service. I will of course pretend that I do not have to add another 8% for sales tax. The cats have already been removed. As far as the suggestion about leaking seals I trust that everything will be looked at by the dealer while the engine is out.

My only concern in this deal was that the original seller appears to want to remain unknown. There were no plates and title had been transfered to the broker in Tucson. Everything else looks great, carfax is clean and the dealer checked through his computer and there was no unusual service work done on the car. I guess a guy who has a bunch of cars and lives in Hawaii owned it and then around 1997 bought something he liked better and this car sat and sat.

I am excited but will have to wait another week to get my hands on the car. Thanks to everyone for their input.
    Stuart

8. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Kudos & congrats - Please post some pics once it arrives!

9. BWS550

BWS550 Wants to be a mod

Apr 1, 2002
    NEW JERSEY
    Full Name:
    BRUCE WELLINGTON
    30K SERVICE

5500-5000 FOR 30K

NEW CLUTCH AND LABOR....2500

WATER PUMP AND MISC......1000

4 NEW TIRES 500-700

AND IF THE CAR WAS SITTING FOR A WHILE...WHO KNOWS???

BE PREPARED.

GOOD LUCK,
    BRUCE

10. i agree the 512TR is definetly a hell of a car. I think the design will never get old it still looks like the car is a 2004 manufactured car.

11. Bmyth-FDC

Bmyth-FDC F1 Rookie

Oct 4, 2002
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Byron
    Stuart,
    I know you've been looking for a while now - I'm glad you finally found one. The 512TR is a beautiful car. I hope you have good luck with it... a car that hasn't been driven always raises a brow, but it sounds like you are following the necessary precautions. 30k, etc...

Congratulations!

Byron

12. bubba

bubba Formula 3

May 8, 2002
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    PPPP
    Congrats Stuart! Once you sort out the maintenance issues, the car will not disappoint. You are going to enjoy every second of the experience.

13. G-force

G-force F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2002
    so california
    Full Name:
    wayne skiles
    Keep the car out of california for over 90 days and avoid the sales/use tax.I assume you are a Calif resident?

14. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Right on the money with the 90 day issue. Maybe Allan Lambo might know something about the car as he is from Hawaii.

15. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Stuart,

First of all congrats on taking the plunge. Funny, I just returned last night from Honolulu on some business and of course pleasure (been kind of rainy over there lately). Being from the islands I go back about 5-6 times a year, this last trip I stopped by the only Ferrari "authorized" dealer on Beretania street in Honolulu. I spoke with the guys who work on the Ferraris (more there than you might think and Lambos too) and asked if they had ever worked on a 512TR thinking that perhaps some day I might move mine there. The guy said they work on a few TR's but no 512's and haven't seen one. Just trying to help you out, but if your car isn't on Oahu then my post is moot. I know of a few owners of Ferraris on the island of Oahu, but not on any other island. I think Allan has Maui well covered. There are maybe two other mechanics in Honolulu that work on F cars, but I'll hunt them down on my next trip if they actually exist.

Anyway, hope your car is getting the professional treatment it demands. It will serve you well, they're great cars that often just get lumped with the earlier TR's and don't receive their respective dues. BTW, I like the whole TR line. I'm in CA and Banana is correct about the 90-day rule. However, if you want to ship it to CA and just park it in your garage and take it out with "new car plates"/no plates that works too as long as you don't step foot in the DMV for 90-days. PM me or post if you have any other ?'s. Keep us posted. BTW, what color combo? Oh, and I bought mine with 7k miles and it had not been exercised regularly, after some preventitive maint. and me giving it exercise it has been fine, knock on wood.

16. F1racer

F1racer F1 Rookie

Oct 5, 2003
    Laval
    Full Name:
    Jean
    Congrats!

The 512 TR is a beauty!!
    I remember reading somewhere that the 512 TR possessed probably the most charismatic and tuneful road car engine ever made.
    I want one!!!

17. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    Thanks to all for your input. I have no idea where in Hawaii the car was from, although I am sure I could run it down with DMV if I wanted. I was just curious if someone knew anything about the car. I should have the car by the end of next week and will send pic's.
    Stuart

18. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    congrats on a good buy. i hope the long non-driven period doesn't come back to haunt you. if you get it back on track it will serve you well, i have had little trouble with mine in nearly 4 years. your life is never going to be the same from here on out.......

19. Grigio 512TR

Grigio 512TR Karting

Nov 13, 2002
    Where's Diamond Head
    Yeaaaahhh, pics are good. Really good. Can't stand the wait can you? It happens to all of us.

20. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    #20 stuart, Dec 31, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  21. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
  22. pig4bill

pig4bill Karting

Dec 24, 2003
    Aren't you going to need the cats to pass Cali smog?

Arizona also has sales tax iirc. Plus, you will need an Arizona address for them to mail the title and registration to.

23. stuart

stuart Karting

Aug 13, 2003
    Hidden Hills.CA
    Full Name:
    Stuart Siegel
    I had it smoged before I made the purchase and it passed. I have no explanation.

24. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    Congrats Stuart!

Show us some more pics as soon as she is ready to rock!

Ton

25. Norm512TR

Norm512TR Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2001
    Colorado Springs, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Norm
    Stuart,

Welcome to the club.