Which country has the most Ferraris??? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Which country has the most Ferraris???

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by jenzo, Dec 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Kurtjr

Kurtjr Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Zurich
    Per capita or per sq/miles gotta be Switzerland

area: 41,290 sq/km
    25,806 sq/miles

pop: 7.318 million

over 6,000 registered ferraris

1/3 of the amt of ferrari's in the US if US has 18,000

1/30th of the US population, i think

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Ferraris yes, but not counting F40 though. Outlawed in Switzerland.
    :)

3. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I read somewhere that New Zealand has a really high Ferraris/per capita rate for some reason. I doubt it's as high as the Swiss numbers posted below, but it is much higher than one would expect.

I think FCars/capita is more significant than absolute numbers.

4. jordan747_400

jordan747_400 F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 9, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    Jordan
    Well, Irvine itself doesn't have nearly any Ferraris. I know of 4 Ferraris in the whole city --two of them belong to members of this website (Byron and Jerry). Id figure for 6 more that I dont know about. Supposedly there is a 250 Spyder Ca. in the city somewhere but it was a concours car and Ive never seen it driving around. It is the area around Newport Beach that has a really high concentration. Driving around Irvine you will NOT see a Ferrari. This is the mecca for BMW, Mercedes, and SUV.

5. Chiaro_Slag

Chiaro_Slag F1 Veteran

Oct 31, 2003
    CA
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Where I used to live, I almost died when I saw a 360 Spyder..... Azurro!!! It was driving around my neighborhood - never figured out who owned it. I would bet there are quite a few F-Cars in Irvine that we don't know about. You are right though, every other car is a BMW!

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Would Ferrari be lumping Canadian sales into the USA sales (that is, the number is really "North American" sales) since FNA covers all of North America? Or are the numbers quoted, pulling Canadian sales figures back out?

Dave

7. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    It's funny. You'd think that in Italy,they'd be as common as Toyota's...I mean,Chevy's are here. Also,like Andreas said about their frequency in California. I have a tape of one of the episodes of "The Osbourne's". Ozzy and family are on a shuttle bus driving through Beverly Hills,and Jack is talking and all of a sudden,Ozzy jumps up,points out the window,and says,"Look! A Red Ferrari!" Pretty funny stuff!

8. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I'd like to know the CDN figures because I was under the impression that when compared to American figures, Canadian FCar sales would be almost negligible (relatively speaking of course). A few per year in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal.

9. darth550

darth550 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 14, 2003
    In front of you
    Full Name:
    BCHC
    Factoid, There are more Porsches in California than Germany.

DL

10. Kurtjr

Kurtjr Rookie

Nov 4, 2003
    Zurich
    Re Switzerland...
    early F40's, 288 GTO's are not in those numbers, that is correct. But you do see them on the streets with garage plates on them (that would include the U in the number). Garage plates allow you to drive anything including modified cars and home builds, without registering cars with the authorities.

Later F40's came with cat converters and were consequently allowed.

Re Canada...
    I seem to see a few of them in Montreal always by the same restaurant on Blvd René Levesque...

The numbers in Canada are certainly increasing, but it remains a rare sight on the streets as horrendous insurance costs tend to keep you away from fiery italian cars. I was quoted once close to 10K CDN for insurance on an 86 TR...

11. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    The US is as large as Europe so undoubtedly it will have the most Ferrari's. But Germany (with more than 24 official dealers) is definitely second. Which is remarkable if you compare the amount of inhabitants to that of the US.

Ton

12. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Have you ever been to Germany? - I think you should go there sometime, because I just CAN'T believe that. I've been to Germany a 100 times +/-.. Cant remember exactly. I remember once, we were driving to Italy for our summer vacation and I decided to count Porsches. When I were done, I had counted over 150 Porsches and then gave up, cuz' it wasnt fun anymore. I just can't believe that California has more Porsches, because they are litterally EVERYWHERE. I would guess there's sold over 100.000 Porsches in Germany. But if you have exact figures i'd love to see them. and if they are verified :)

13. jeff

jeff Formula 3

Feb 19, 2001
    North America
    California has more porsches than Germany is a fact. Here are the production numbers I read. 80% of all porsches built are exported to the USA. Then 80% of the total cars in the USA are sold in California. So for example. Porsche builds 40,000 cars. 32,000 cars are exported to USA. Then 80% of the 32,000 cars are sold in California. That would make 25,600 cars sold in California out of the 40,000 built.

14. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Heck, drive around Plano, TX, (a suburb of Dallas) for 3 hours and you'll stop having fun counting Porsches... and be well over 150. I'd expect to see even more driving around Silicon Valley for 3 hours.

15. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Their might be more then, okay. But you are completely off with the 80% - Try and think realistic one second, there are alot of rich country's around the world other than the US (My own included) should they only get 8000 cars between them, and the US all the rest. Haha that one made me laugh a little. :) Well, I found something for ya under here. The US get's a little 50% of the cars.

Taken from Autointell.com: (2002)

"Production remains at a high level It proved possible to keep sports car production at almost the level reached in the previous year. Including the 20,337 Boxster and Boxster S cars assembled in Finland, Porsche produced a total of 55,050 vehicles, 1.3 percent fewer than in the previous year (55,782 vehicles). In North America, Porsche sold 23,108 sports cars, 9.1 percent fewer than in the previous year (25,545 cars). Here again weaker Boxster sales influenced the result, whereas the 911 was able to increase its sales by 14.4 percent. On export markets other than North America, the results were altogether extremely positive, with 18,301 vehicles sold, 9.1 percent more than in the previous year. In Germany, Porsche ran counter to the general market trend by recording a 3.4 percent increase in sales to 12,825 cars; here again the 911, of which 8,709 were sold, clearly accounted for the lion's share."

16. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Yeah, in the city. But I counted them on the highway while driving throu down to Italy. Quite different mate :)

17. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas

18. superbimmer

superbimmer Karting

Jan 12, 2003
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Wouldn't surprise me, if there are more Ferraris in Southern Cal, than most any single country (other than US of course) I believe I've heard that the FCA-SWRegion has over 1000 members.

19. Dutchman

Dutchman F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 4, 2002
    EU
    Full Name:
    Ton
    80% of the porsches to the US??? I don't think so! There are way more Porsches in Germany than in California. The 911 is a "common" car in Germany that does not draw a lot of attention. There are thousands of them.

Ton

20. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.
    Thank you Visser,

That's exactly what I tried to say. There's a lot more Porsches in Germany.

21. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    Not really... if you want to stay on the highways in north Dallas, I can give you a loop you can repeat over and over for the amount of time it takes to drive through Germany and you'll get quite bored counting Porsches on the Dallas highways.

And Porsches ARE a fairly common car here... nobody gets excited to see a Porsche in Dallas... why would they... they can probably hold their breath until the next one drives by. ;)

22. 365boy

365boy Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Brighton, England
    Full Name:
    John Leaman
    A couple of years ago, Maranello Concessionaires (the UK Ferrari importer) printed a booklet on Ferrari road cars, giving total production numbers for each model, and the numbers of each imported into the UK. Overall, it said that since 1960, they'd imported about 8,500 cars from a total factory production of about 90,000 - so I'd guess the UK is in the top 3 or 4 markets nowadays.

USA is of course number one - and I don't believe the factory has ever been tempted to name any models after any other markets (as it did with the SuperAmerica, California Spyder etc..).

Maybe they should :575 MM SuperSwiss, 360 Berlin-etta, 612 GB-GT, Enzo-Tokyo etc etc....!!

John

23. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.

It's not quite the same, because the chance of seeing the same Porsche is much bigger in that loop. But hey, who cares? :D The fact we tried to prove against was that California does not have more Ferrari's than Germany. And they don't :)

24. rodsky

rodsky Formula 3

Mar 24, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Its probably pretty close between California and Germany. I think Porsche sells 24,000 cars a year in the US. They sell approx. 12,000 a year in Germany. Of those 24000 in the US, it would not surprise me if 40-50% were sold in California. So California and Germany should be pretty close. California on its own is the 6th largest economy in the world when compared with Countries.

25. JH

JH F1 Veteran

Nov 14, 2002
    Odense, Denmark
    Full Name:
    Jonas H.

Hmm, it was my understanding that Californias last gouvnor ****ed the economy up pretty bad. So I don't think you have that spot anymore.