How Do People React to Your Ferrari...? | Page 6 | FerrariChat

How Do People React to Your Ferrari...?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 365boy, Nov 30, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AlfaGreg

AlfaGreg Karting

Dec 28, 2003
    Saint John, NB Can
    Full Name:
    Greg Gormley
    But the weirdest one:

I dusted off the old Alfa Spider and drove it to work. Another millwright asked if I traded in the Ferrari on "another exotic". Huh?!

(Despite 24 years of parking lot dings, the Alfa is still more of a "chick magnet" than the Ferrari.)[/QUOTE]

Hehehe

My Alfa Spider does seem to warrant a lot of positive comments, far more than MGB's etc. So, last summer, after a fun day working on, washing and detailing the car, cleaning up, shades on, fresh tan, beautiful summer evening, out for a cruise...feeling pretty good all in all,
    you all know the feeling. I cruise by 4 10 year old's, 2 boys and 2 girls.

"Hey, look, it's Stuart Little" I thought I would die laughing!!

Kids sure keep you grounded huh! They always speak the truth!!

2. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    You think general public will mistake the 'new' Ford GT40 for a Ferrari? :)

3. TimF40

TimF40 Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Seattle/Bay Area/NYC
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I've only owned my 360 for a couple of weeks and already I've had more people cut me off than in the entire past year of driving my 911 and Corvette! I mean racing to get ahead of me then pull into my lane where there is no room. Geez.

2 days ago a guy in a beater pickup almost side swiped me on the freeway. He was taking pictures of my car while swerving all over the road! He then pulled right in front of me, again snapping more pictures.

4. People have the wrong idea of people that drive nice cars. these people are either jelous and try to show you that you are the pig and not then and try to cut you off or do something to hurt your feelings when on the road.

5. Nationaltec

Nationaltec Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    North County
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ok, my first two weeks of 328 ownership since (12/19/03)

Day of purchase: Sale complete, seller is giving me some final pointers and two 10yr kids pull up on Razors(scooters). "Wow mister! You just buy that?" .(Yup) "Is that your dream car mister?" Damm right kid, I wanted one since your age!

50 mile drive home: 12 people stopped and said something nice during two brief pitstops. (one for gas and a "7-11" pit-stop.) {nobody said sh*t when I paid 53K for my Navigator}

Back home: First ride goes to my 10yr old son! He then asks if he can have it when he's 16! real cute..! I tell him "when he graduates UCSD!"

Second day: Drive down to my boat in the harbor, make the usual Monterey Bay Cannery happy hour afterward... Bartenders new nickname for me is "Magnum" .. It's held since..

My overall summary: the quick version..

1. (a negative) Drive-thru ATM's ARE HUGE NOW..... Go-go gadget arms!

2. The clerk at the Napa Auto Parts store came outside to hold the door open for me. He says " I'll hold the door for a guy in a Ferrari"

3. I take the wife to an exclusive restaurant in La Jolla, Valet says.. I'll move the Lexus & Jag, you pull up and stay in the loading zone. ( right @ the front door, the wife liked that !)

4. You definitely get TREATED better...!!!! I just dont want to drive the Stang anymore...because everyone luvs a Red Ferrari... Old/young, Guys/gals it dont matter!

5. (a negative) PEOPLE TAILGATE MORE THEN EVER just to see your car...!!! I spend too much time watching if people are going to hit me...!

6. (a negative) A SUV's sidedoor trim is EYE LEVEL while sitting at a traffic Light.. Damm.. that's scary...

7. (a negative) Everyone wants to Race, I normally just laugh it off.. but today I had to show a Camaro idiot how an x-new yorker drives a Ferrari in the city... that was fun...!

8. (a negative) Why couldn't Ferrari let the windows go down one more damm inch.... it's not comfortable on the arm!

9. (a negative) Finding the keyhole to the drivers-door when you have packages in your hands. (while not scratching the paint)
    { I Added the remote door lock/unlock system the next day! }

10. (a negative) Headlights in the rear view mirror all "look like there on HIGHBEAM" !!!

11. (a positive) The Wife CANT take two kids to school in MY Ferrari....! nice try babe.. wont happen..

12. (a negative) Where is my damm "CUP-HOLDER" !!!

Yeah, a couple of complaints were pointed out but it's been the BEST damm two weeks of driving in my lifetime.....!!!

A very cool thread guys...
    Patrick

6. Brian C. Stradale

Brian C. Stradale F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 17, 2002
    Dallas, TX, USA
    I haven't had any troubles with people cutting me off more in the Ferrari (you're not cruising slowly in the left lane, are you?**)... but I certainly have had trouble with people checking out the car from all angles while driving down the road... definitely a new level of defensive driving is called for. They need a special chapter in defensive driving courses for those driving exotics.

** Its a common error: sportscar driver is used to being the most aggressive on the road, always driving in the left lane; he gets an exotic that he's not familiar with, so he wisely drives a bit more cautiously... but still occupies his normal position in the left lane... but at his new more cautious rate, he's now blocking the left lane... and nothing agitates an aggessive SUV driver more than somebody in a fast sportscar driving slowly in the passing lane!! Hence, he gets cutoff a lot... which is much less safe than if he were driving more aggressively. (I'm not saying this is happening to you; but its worth warning everybody to be particularly courteous when driving your Ferraris! People will demand it!)

7. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    The first time my wife's cousin saw my 308, she was giving it a look over and she seemed impressed. "It looks like it has a big trunk." I had to laugh because I recognized the female shopping gene kicking in so I picked up the lid and showed her the engine. She got a puzzled look and pointed to the front of the car. "Well, what's under there?" So I picked up the lid and showed her the spare tire. She was less impressed after that.

I parked at RiteAid and an older woman came out and was looking at the car. When I got out she said "You know, I used to have one just like that about 20 years ago." I was suprised and said "Wow, you must really like Italian sports cars." She said, "Not really, no, my husband said I had to have one."

The most common reaction I get is "Is that a kit car?"

As for the soccor moms in their SUV's cutting us off, my theory is that they don't see the car. The rear view mirror is probably angled at the back seat instead of the road so she can keep an eye on the kids and she is probably looking at that more than the road. A quick glance at eye level won't reveal a car that sits so low to an SUV. She might see the pickup truck behind you and not see your car and figure the lane is clear.

8. rjklein

rjklein Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    I was at a gas statioin this weekend, I had shoulder surgery so I have been driving my 360, F-1 other car is a stick. So this man starts a conversation with me, and asks if he could look at the engine. I say yes and open the lid, and all three of his kids get out and start looking at the car.

No big deal, but then the Dad asks me if I won the lotter, or if I always had money.

I responded, by just saying that I have worked very hard. But the more I thought about it how rude is that. He must have voted for Gore!

Rob

9. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I would never dream of asking some1 what their net worth is or what they paid for their car unless I was in a car lot. I guess a lot of people dont think before they speak. I dont think They are trying to be rude, most of the time. If some1 comes off as an A hole then I tell them I paid $220k for the 512TR :) That usually causes a visible reaction LOL

10. pete04222

pete04222 Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Maine, USA
    Full Name:
    Peter Cyr
    When asked about how I was able to afford a Ferrari, I usually just shrug my shoulders and say "I invented some stuff."

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I posted this before, but I can only use it if they pose the question properly. "What did this cost you??"

I say "My first wife, a three bedroom brick home, and twelve years of child support!" and then, as they get it, I add:

"But my love life has been better INSIDE this car, than it was during that twelve years of marriage."

I can crack up a group of elementary school teachers with that one every time.

I was out last weekend on the highway to brother's ranch, and some guy hung out the window on the freeway for a pic from his telephone.
    That was a first! My car is pretty old, these days.

12. bernardo66

bernardo66 The Crazy Cat Man
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 14, 2003
    Montreal Canada
    Full Name:
    Bernie
    The lottery comment (or am I part of the Mafia) happens often to me, and I can't begin to explain how that aggravates the hell out of my wife and I. And when she really get annoyed, my wife answers: ''my husband is a pimp and I'm his 'ho!!'' That usually shuts them up.

13. Casey_A

Casey_A Rookie

Dec 31, 2003
    Texas
    My uncles has owned Ferrari's all of my life. He's fed my Ferrari infatuation all of these years.

When I see a Ferrari, I smile and give the thumbs up and hey, if you wanna go for a highway romp, I'm game but I'm not obnoxious about it. Sometimes I just don't feel like racing either.

Maybe next year will be the year of the Fcar for me. *crosses fingers*

My negative reactions: Some rapper looking type had a BEAUTIFUL Azzuro Blue 360 Spider w/ 20" chrome wheels on it. I nearly puked on myself. I had to give him a big thumbs down for that. 20's belong on your wife's SUV not an Italian sportscar. :(

14. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Excellent post!

15. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    The first month I owned my 365GT2+2 I took it to my local AutoZone to buy the proper temperature plugs. The place had only about 5 or so customers and 3 guys behind the counter when I got there. The older african-american gentleman who was helping me did not have the plugs I needed in stock and offered to order them. When I told him I needed 12, he slid his glasses down his nose and looked at me over the top of the frame.
    "And what the hell are you going to do with 12 spark plugs?"
    "Uh, I'm gonna put them in my old V-12 Ferrari."
    He looks at the other 2 guys behind the counter.
    "This guy has a v-12 Ferrari."
    to me
    "Is it here?"
    "Uh-huh. Wanna see it?"
    The three counter guys and a couple of customers came out to check out under the hood. I started it and it made all the right noises for everyone. Big smiles.
    We went back inside and the older guy just smiled a little and said "Well ain't that some crazy sh-t. How do you want to pay for this?"

One bizarre experience at a gas station - an older guy walked up and vehemently argued that my car was not a Ferrari despite the badging and that I should not be allowed to call it a Ferrari when it clearly was not. When I asked how he 'knew' it was not a Ferrari, he said that his son routinely bought and sold Ferraris and this was not one. when I got back in the car, my driving partner that day was laughing his ass off; "You've been duped! You bought a fake!"

16. Willis360

Willis360 F1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2001
    Redmond, WA
    Full Name:
    Willis H
    Last week, I pulled into a gas station and a van on the far end with some guys in it couldn't quite see my car with the gas pumps blocking it. The only thing they could see was the profile of the 360's nose sticking out. I went over to the cashier to pay and overheard one of the guys in the van speculate my car was some sort of Toyota. When leaving, I made a slow loop around the gas pumps, I hear this loud voice saying "Sh-thead! It's a Ferrari!" :)

17. Casey_A

Casey_A Rookie

Dec 31, 2003
    Texas

LMAO!

That's pretty funny.

18. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan

you live in arlington too?

which auto-zone were you at? the one next to blockbuster?

also where do you live?

19. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I've told this one before...

Drove my 308 GTS to the local Schuck's Auto Supply to stock up on Mobil 1 on sale..as I come out to the car, two rather "scruffy" looking guys in tank tops, holding "big gulps" (writer's embellishment) and riding in very beat up Dodge Colt parked next to me. Driver asks "That one of them kit cars?" I respond "Yup, you got me, it's a Fiero" To which the driver elbows his buddy and yells "I told YOU!" And then chuckle at each other that they are on to my "secret".... :)

20. JMJ575M

JMJ575M Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2002
    Chain of Lakes Regio
    Full Name:
    J Michael Jordan
    Hats off to you 365Boy! For starting this thread. It gets my vote for thread of the month. Maybe of the year.

JMJ

21. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    praincing horse, you've got a private message

22. thomasmurphy

thomasmurphy Rookie

Dec 14, 2003
    Dave:
    Where did you get that pic?
    I am bringing both the Stradale and the Challenge car to the track either Tuesday or Wednesday. Which day will you be there?
    Tom

23. Tomg

Tomg Rookie

Nov 7, 2003
    Minnesota
    I pull into the driveway in the 400i after bringing my daughter home from soccer practice only to be met by my wife yelling that my neighbor has had a close encounter with a table saw! She's called 911 and can I go check the situation out. (I'm a volunteer ski patrol and trained 1st responder.) I leave the car sideways in the driveway grab my kit and head to the neighbors. Turns out not to be too bad and I've got the hand stabilized by the time the paramedics & ambulance shows up. After assessing the situation they suggest I can take him to the ER and save him a bunch of money over their transporting him in the ambulance. Since the 400i is blocking the other cars I grab it and pull over the neighbors driveway to pick him up from the ambulance crew.

Paramedic: "You're taking him to the hospital in a Ferrari!!!"
    Me: "Yeah why not?"
    Paramedic joking: "Can I go along too?"

Driving up I-694 during the evening commute home a Mercedes with a 40-50ish man and woman inside pull up along side 400i in the fast lane, match speed for 20-30 secs. Then speed up until they can get a ¾ view, cruise there for 20-30 seconds and then drop back along side. I look over thinking WTF? I expect this kind of thing from the kids in the Camaro’s and Mustang’s but middle aged couple in a Mercedes? The woman has a hastily written sign up in the window asking “What year”. I mouth over to them ’83 they both nod their heads and the man give me the thumbs up as they take off down the road.

The ’02 USGP is over and the 400i is parked in the Ferrari Car Corral. It is surrounded by really NICE Ferrari machinery. My wife and I have been baking in the sun all day and we’re hot and tired. At that time the 400 was having some overheating problems so we were waiting for the crowd to clear out before we headed out in hopes of not getting stuck in traffic. The only shade in the infield was from our own car so we both plopped down on the ground and were using the 400’s door as a back rest when a couple of 20 something guys with camera’s came up and asked if they could take a picture of the car. I said sure, and my wife and I started to get up to get out of the way. Their response “No, No, it’s perfect that way you are!” After they had their pictures we talked for quite awhile. Couple of nice kids from Canada, they hadn’t seen many 400’s and were very interested in the car. All the while their surrounded by 355 Spyders , 360’s, TR’s, a couple of Daytona’s… go figure???

Overall it is interesting I get many more comments/questions bout the 400i than I do when I drive the 308. The 308 gets many more stares and double takes but people don't approach me as often. I think maybe people are intimidated/put off by the 308's exotic look. The 400i seems to be a more approachable car.

24. Testacojones

Testacojones F1 Veteran

Nov 3, 2003
    Lecusay
    Ontopathetic...

25. ART360

ART360 Guest

When I got my first Ferrari, a 348 ts, everybody kept asking if it was a TR. Finally I started telling them it was. Most of the people really like the cars, but there are a few that don't: When I bought the 348 spyder, went to dinner in Mill Valley, cops followed me all the way home. When I got the 355, I noticed less attention, never could figure out why.

One thing for sure: you'll get more tickets in the Ferrari than anything else. You need a radar detector, or be very careful.

Art