Did Ferrari make a boat? | FerrariChat

Did Ferrari make a boat?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Klint, Dec 24, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Isle of Man, British Isles
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Hi,

I've seen and read numerous times about a boat called "Ferrari", I don't know if it coincidental that's it's a Ferrari and red or it's a genuine venture Ferrari undertook.

Anyone know the story behind this rarity?

Cheers,

2. MarkG

MarkG Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    Colorado Springs
    Full Name:
    Mark
    "Did Ferrari make a boat?"

Yes. It's called the GTSi.

3. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Ferrari made a boat engine that was used in a hydroplane (off the top of my head serial # was 0800.
    Someone licenced Ferrari's name for some boat recently which didn't have a Ferrari engine and wasn't anything more valuable than Ferrari branded Tic Tacs.
    Lambo makes boat motors that race in a spec class in europe but compared to real race boats they aren't too exciting either.
    As an aside I own serial # 1 38' Cigarette "Manhatten Express". Now that one is a keeper.

4. BrentC

BrentC Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2003
    Depends what you mean...Ferrari engines powered some speedboats in the '50's. They were used to try and set speed records. Forza had a small bit on one that sold at auction in the late '90's (I don't know which issue; I don't have it in front of me). I know Riva has offered some boats with a Ferrari theme, but don't know if they were officially sanctioned or had Ferrari engines. They might just be licensed products like the cameras and laptops we see nowadays.

5. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Riva made a 32 Ferrari in 92 it looks like a TR google it.

6. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Clint
  7. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
  8. Klint

Klint Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    Clint
    Lamborghini supply V12s to the Victory team (?), they're in the OffShore Class one, pretty interesting. :D

Cheers,

9. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    #10 MedMech, Dec 24, 2003
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. KKSBA

KKSBA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    SBarbara-La Jolla CA
    Full Name:
    KKSBA
    The Riva Ferrari was a POS (and I love Riva's). It had very very bad handling even with the stabilizers. And, at Lake Tahoe altitude (6200') it was seriously lacking power.

However, the boat looked great! As the saying (about owning boats) goes: The happiest two days were when it arrived and when it left.

11. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003

LOL my dad told me if it floats, flys or FU*Ks RENT IT!!!

12. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I may be wrong but I think they use sterling engines in the open class and Lambo engines in the spec class. I'm not knocking Lambo Marine I just think that in top powerboat racing they're not the ones. Some of the boats over here have gotten a bit OTT. Skater's with allison turbines that go 200mph+.
    My 23 year old Cigarette is fast enough for me, and those 650HP Chevys do have a nice sound.
    Best

13. MedMech

MedMech Karting

Nov 2, 2003

Team Apache used Lamo's and they hauled A$$.

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    None of the top race boats that I know of do. I'm talking of current winning boats. Others?

15. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The Class 1 world championship boats that race in Europe and the middle east mainly use 8.0 litre lamborghini V12's. The engine was originally designed for some kind of hyper Countach!!!

16. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Nah, you're all thinking of that movie "One Crazy Summer", a wacky comedy set in Nantuckett that pits the motley misfit group of Demi Moore, John Cusack and Bobcat Goldthwait against the local country club set. They take the rich kid's 308 and put the engine into their boat and, well, I don't want to give away the whole film, but you can be sure that hilarity ensues!

17. norm

norm Karting

May 30, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Have been a few instances where Ferrari engines were used in boats. But, nowhere close to level of Lambo's. Lambo's were popular in US for period in late 80's & early 90's. They were used in Apache, Hustler, and Wellcraft Scarab. Lambo's still big in UIM racing and europe. No one running them here in US on the various curcuits. Unfortunately, expensive HP when compared to big block Chevy's. Boats are a classic case of can't beat cubic inches.

18. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Late response - I just found this in "Classic & Sportscar" 8/97. To quote:

"This outrageous machine achieved an astounding 241.708kph in 1953 when piloted by Achille Castoldi. It was powered into the record books by a one-off marinised Ferrari 375 V12 4.5 litre GP engine running on methanol with twin superchargers which provided 600bhp.

The boat, which remains the only factory supported boat powered by a Ferrari GP engine, comes with archive records showing development and testbed readouts and photos of the actual speed trial supervised by Mr. Ferrari himself."

19. Prancing_Horse

Prancing_Horse Formula Junior

Dec 23, 2003
    Arlington,VA
    Full Name:
    Dan
    thats not made by ferrari
    its just ferrari's corprate jet

its made by piaggo

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I believe the Forza article also mentioned a Ferrari powered boat that sank on time trials, in the Houston Ship Channel! Unrecovered, according to the article, that water's hard to see thru.

Cigarette makes a fine boat. Old or new.

I'm an old Mercury Racing man myself, but always catch the jokes when the damn thing breaks. A lot like the Ferrari, come to think of it!

21. cabrio_fan

cabrio_fan Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Michael Davidson
    #22 cabrio_fan, Jan 2, 2004
  22. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    #23 wax, Jan 2, 2004
  23. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    I remember seeing an ad in DuPont that offered a new Range Rover 4.6HSE in 'ferrari yellow' and a 'ferrari jet boat'.

The Range Rover didnt look to good in yellow, but the 'ferrari jet boat' looked like a water-ready F50, wing and all. Ill dig it up later.