Boxer oil level | FerrariChat

Boxer oil level

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by charliek, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    I checked the oil on my Boxer today and notice that the leve does not reach the dip stick. The car had an oil service about a year ago. is ther any reason that it would be this low? I addes 3 quarts and it still seems low but oil pressure seems normal and no idiot lights come on. Should I definitely add oil until it at the correct level on the dip stick. I dont understand why the level should change, it doesnt leak. I am having a full oil service done by Classic Coach at the end of this month and I wonder if I shouldnt drive it or just add to correct level. Thanks

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Are you absolutely sure you are checking the level as outlined in the owner's manual? The reason I ask is that it differs quite a bit for each model. Some require checking while the engine is running. Some say to check 5 minutes after shutdown (328) and others after 15 minutes (carb 308).

3. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    (Sorry if this is too basic, but I'd make the same point as Dave H.) Are you checking the oil level when warm and immediately after engine shutoff per the 512BBi OM instructions?

The flat 12s hold so much oil that being down a few quarts is no big deal (I think the only symptom would be that if you were really pushing it, the oil temperature would eventually rise above the max limit more quickly). How many miles since the last oil service? Some oil ingestion is inevitable, but it shouldn't be more than say a quart every couple~few thousand miles (although I know the "official" policy is 1 qt per 500~600 miles is still "OK").

From OM 224/81:

4. charliek

charliek Karting

Nov 9, 2003
    Marlboro, New jersey
    Full Name:
    Charles Krop
    Thanks for the feedback,
    I checked the oil when cold and also after running but not after waiting 15 minutes. The last service was one year and about 2000 miles ago

5. JOEL D.

JOEL D. Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Full Name:
    Joel DeLuca
    CHARLIE,

yOU CHECK BOXER WITH THE CAR HOT AND AFTER SITTING 3-5 MINUTES, NO MORE. rEADING SHOUD BE ON LOW END OF NORMAL. dO NOT OVER -ADD. OIL EXPANDS WHEN IT REACHES OPERATING TEMP, AND IT IS NOT HEALTHY TO BE OVER-FILLED. 1/2 QT. LOW IS BETTER THAN FULL TO TOP.

JOEL

6. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Dave,

Are you sure ? The owner's manual for my 3.2 Mondial says to check 15 minutes after shutdown and it has the same engine as a 328.

Tom

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Tom,
    You are right, I have them inversed....too many cars to think about...I just got this BMW and it says 5 minutes. Sorry.

We did a little study three years ago on Ferrarlist and found the carb 308's where most accurately measured around 2-3 minutes after shutdown.

8. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    On my 1982 BB512i after getting the engine up to operating temp, I turn the engine off, raise the rear bonnet and check the oil and it is always somewhere between the MIN and MAX lines on the dip stick. I suppose I have to add a quart evry 1k miles or so.