550 owners (Mike G in particular), re: fuel | FerrariChat

550 owners (Mike G in particular), re: fuel

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by bobafett, Nov 4, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mike et alia,

Curious how far you went when the gas light came on. I know your record fill is 21.8 gallons. I'm at just under 20 miles with the light on, needle still looks like it's got some ways to go (maybe 1-1.5 needle's width).

When starting up, it definetly starts at 1/4 full, and works its way down over the course of a few miles...

--Dan

2. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    i can't wait for bobafett's upcoming post:

"i got stranded on the 280 today! i ran out of gas!"

:)

doody.

3. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Good point - I will remember the convenience of driving at 160: you can coast to most any gas station! :D

--Dan

4. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    you went 20 miles with the light on? geez, I could do that while being towed. It sputtered for me after about 5.

If I am not mistaken, like the Audi A6 and A8, often times there was a build up on the sensor giving false readings.

5. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    26 miles now... :D

The needle is a half-needle's width to thr right of being directly over the '0' line.

--Dan

6. ccr2002

ccr2002 Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Salt Lake City, UT
    I recently had the light go on as i was leaving Park City. It is 25 miles to my house. I then drove 6 miles to work and 6 miles back before pulling in to fill up. The gauge showed 0. It still only took 22.3 gallons. I think it
    has a 27 gallon take. I called the service dept at Harris Imports here in SLC and they say it is normal for the gauge to only be halfway between the 3/4 and full lines after fill up. Is this true for other 550 owners. Anyway...i could have gone about 30-45 more miles.

7. DJW

DJW Karting

Oct 19, 2001
    NJ
    the owners manual says 30.1 gallons, 114 liter, of which 5.28 gallons, 20 liters is reserve. the most i've added is 24 gallons.

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    CCR: yes, when I tank up, mine *never* has shown full. It always rests a little past the 7/8th mark.

DJW: Hmm, I don't have my manual with me, but I thought it was 27.8. Of course, you have a scan right there. I guess I'm gonna go another 25 miles then! :D

--Dan

9. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I made it 50 miles after the fuel light went on - which seems to make sense as the manual states 5 gallons in reserve. The needle was on E. But even then I could only add the 21.8 gallons. (ccr - 22.3 is very impressive!). Again the published specs in everything I have read including the manual states 30.1 gallons.

Dave (maranello man) claims a 28 gallon fill once - but I think he may have meant litres.

I am not buying temperatures, slopes, nozzles, barometric pressure, etc - as I have filled in all conditions with all equipment and 21.8 is my personal best.

So my question still remains - if the average fill on complete E is about 20 gallons for the 550 owners - are we idiots and going to the gas station with a third of a tank still - each time? I would love to cut out 33% of my gas station visits.

Someone was going to drive to E and then siphon and measure. Looking foward to that.

10. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    had a giggle over that one - how old were you in that? Nice touch!

11. DJW

DJW Karting

Oct 19, 2001
    NJ

7th grade, so 12 yrs old, 1968....... been downhill ever since.

12. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mike,

I was going to go siphon this stuff out. Completely forgot. Need to go get a 5 gallon drum.

--Dan

PS: How often are you in the bay area? Come on one of our drives!

13. enzomoon

enzomoon Guest

When I first picked up my 550 at Sheltons in Fort Lauderdale I drove across Alligator Alley to Naples to visit my father. I was shocked at how quickly the gas gauge went down after it got to about a 1/4 tank. I drove over 60 miles with the light on and was sweating bullets(not to mention cussing) the whole way as there were no gas stations until Naples. I did make it but I suspect it was on fumes. Now, I routinely fill it up before I ever get to the 1/4th indicator.

Regards,

Mark

14. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA & SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    enzomoon - if you are filling up at 1/4 guage - how much are you getting in? I can only get in 20 gallons (on the 30 gallon tank) when I fill up on E!

What is your person best fill-up?

Dan I am if SF with the 550 now - going to make the winter migration south with it around Thanksgiving.

Is anyone up for a drive on the 24th or 25th? I would enjoy a Bay Area drive with you guys before I head south.

15. Artherd

Artherd F1 Veteran

Jun 19, 2002
    Bay Area, CA
    Full Name:
    Ben Cannon
    Mike- we've been doing lots of drives as of late, and they keep getting better and better! We had around 15 cars for the last run.

Check the Northern California regional section for more. (quiet there with the new software, but it's the place now.)

There's something odd with the 550's fillers allright, I can confirm that! (I spilled gas down the side of Dan's car like an idoit when I waited for the gas nozzle to 'click off' by itself. It clicked, then shot gas (under some pressure) back out. Then proceeded to *growl* at me for a good minuite. Niiiiice black 550.... Gooood black 550.... <wets pants>)

Best!
    Ben.

16. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mike:

After 32.7 miles wsith the gas light on, I managed to fill 20.501 gallons today.

I am totally confused. I seriously think this car can do 500 miles on a tank at this rate.

--Dan

PS: Are you hanging around redwood shores? There are FOUR other 550s I've seen outside of my office building / around. One I have identified (a dark blue one). The other 3 I have no idea.

17. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mike: check yoru email.

--Dan

18. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    The most I have ever put into my 550 was 22 gallons. I am in California and my car in OK for California. I remember in most of my other cars, a California tank holds about 3 gallons less than others because of some type of smog thingy in the tank. I had an Olds with a 20 gallon tank but in California it only would hold 16.5 gallons.

Heck, just learn your car and fill it up before running out.

19. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Bart,

That's exactly what we're trying to do - learn about the car and figure out if we're tanking up too quickly or not.

--Dan

20. DJW

DJW Karting

Oct 19, 2001
    NJ
    maybe we're not getting enough gas in.

21. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA &amp; SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    I think that is likely the case (vs 9 - 10 gallons still in the tank when we fill up)

How can we get more than 20 in the 30 gallon tank? I have tried at different temperatures on different slopes at different elevations and different barametric pressures.

22. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Mike,

Ran 37 miles with the light on today, filled up 20.831 gallons. A new record for me.

--Dan

23. mike550

mike550 Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2003
    California - LA &amp; SF
    Full Name:
    Mike G
    talk to me when you put 21 gallons in. :)

For those not following this thread closely the 550 has a published gas tank capacity of 30 gallons - yet no one can ever get more that 21 gallons in - even driving it 50 miles after the fuel light comes on - and needle all the way on E.

Not a big deal - but would you like to cut 33% of your visits to the gas station out if you could?

Its still a mystery.

$5 to the man that solves it.

24. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
  25. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    When I was exactly at 1/2 on gauge, I put in 14.2 gallons, last 1-2 gallons were squirt-squirted in. My light came on today, I'm going to try to run it 35-40miles. Gauge says 1/4 when light came on...7-8 gallons at 8-10mpg= 56-80miles, roughly. I love data, but I don't want to cook my fuel pump (fuel cooled), and siphoning not good for me 8^). Suggestions to maximize data acquisition? I put 10mi on it with light on.