Burst oil line on 308QV | FerrariChat

Burst oil line on 308QV

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Doc, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Well after having my oil lines rebuilt by a very reputable hydraulic hose place, one burst after warming the car up for 5 min today! I have oil all over the engine, engine bay, body, garage floor etc. What a mess!!!!!
    I pray that I haven't ruined my clutch or any electrics.

Anyhow--does anyone know of a reasonable source for oil lines. So far I was quoted $400 a piece by one Ferrari parts dealer--is this for real ?

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Well at those prices, definitely worth going to the Ferrari Owner's Site and check Ferrari UK's prices.

3. kdross

kdross Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Bill:

Sorry to hear about your problem. I only use OEM hoses from Ferrari for just that reason. I may pay up the butt for OEM hoses, but I sleep well at night. Try T Rutlands, Ferrari UK or Algar for the hoses. All three seem to have the best prices.

Ken

4. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    Doc, i cant help you if you must have OEM ferrari lines, but if that is not an issue, any speed shop where you live or an online one will be able to make new lines custom for your application. my best friend runs a NHRA dragster ( rail job) , and he gets high pressure stainless lines here .( this is not that big of a city either) he is out of town for the weekend but i will see if i can find out something if it will help you in any way. michael

5. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    I take it you're referring the hoses from the oil cooler.

Did the hose actually burst, or did it pop off of a banjo fitting that was reused?

If the hose itself popped, you may have a claim with the rebuilder.

If it disconnected from a reused fitting, you may have a harder time seeking recourse.

6. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    Oops, sorry; I just noticed that you said oil cooler lines.

7. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Doc ive posted this before,try these guys they do hydraulic lines for F1,ive posted this before,ive used them for oil cooler lines alloy water pipe brake lines the lot never a problem,they are 15min drive from me,if you want to post them to me in the uk i will personaly take them over for you,when i first went over they took me into the store room and showed me the cost difference of hose type and construction,
    http://www.lister.co.uk/motorsport2.htm
    cheers
    Dale.

8. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Doc,
    It will take a litlle time, but I recommend you learn how to make your own lines from Aeroquip stainless steel , braided line. You can chose from many different ends and can make fuel, oil, and brake lines. I've never had one leak.

If your interested, go to Aeroquip's or Earl's websites. I got most of my fittings from Pegasus Auto Racing. The Pegasus catalogue has a pade with how-to instructions. I'd be happy to fax you the page. Let me know.

Tom

9. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks for the support , guys. The place that did these hoses has a excellent reputation and have done nothing but hydraulic hoses for about 20yrs. These were constructed with Aeroquip , steel braided lines --the end just blew off at the lower motor fitting near the exhaust manifold. The customer rep was astonished, immediately gave me my money back, and indicated that he didn't think the worker who did it attached the end properly. The owner of the place will be calling me Mon morning as well. I know they'll promise to redo the hoses for me but, needless to say, I'm pretty skiddish at this point. I know of a guy who's had them make hoses for his racers/dragsters for years with never a problem. What luck, eh?

10. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Doc I gota believe that the guy who did the hose didn't do it right. After showing the owner what happened I would not be concerned with them doing the hose over. The owner does not want a black mark on his company and should be more then happy to fix the problem. This should be a no brainer hose because it is low pressure compared to normal hyd. hose application. 80-150psi is not a big deal compared to 1500-2000psi on heavy equipment. Lets us know how you make out and if the owner doesn't make good then let us all know and we'll all give him a call.

11. mk e

mk e F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    The twilight zone
    Full Name:
    The Butcher
    Bill,
    All the high pressure fuel and oil hoses on my engine are a "mix and match" of earls, aeroquip, and summit and there has never been a hint of a problem with any of them. The OEM ends should be reusable as long as the hose is the same ID and OD, but ferrari almost certainly used a metric spec hose and aeroquip is AN spec so it probably is not a perfect match. You could get all AN spec stuff (that's what I did), but buy the time your done finding all the right adapters/fittings, you may not save anything over the stock hoses.

12. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Doc just found this for you hope it may be of some help
    http://www.bmracing.com/
    and its closer to home for you
    cheers
    Dale.

13. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks for all of the support and tips, Tifosi! The more input I get on this the more it seems that this was a very low-probability fluke. I'll see what the store owner has to say. They've already refunded my money and I'm sure they'll offer to fix it.

Q re: cleanup--what should I use on all of the electrical connections that got doused? Anything besides electrical contact cleaner? I had my wheel-well liner off when this happened so everything got a good splashing. Also, will brake cleaner be sufficient to get any oil off of the pads? Would Simple Green hurt the pads if any got on there?

Thanks again, friends.

14. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    I bought my hoses from GT Car Parts for around $125 a piece. THey fit and work great.

For clean up, contact cleaner is good for electrical, brake cleaner is good for brakes comps, and simple green for the chassis. THe aluminum engine components would use a good hosing and then wipe it down with rags.

15. Doc

Doc Formula Junior

Sep 13, 2001
    Latham, New York
    Full Name:
    Bill Van Dyne
    Thanks, Yelcab--do you have a phone # or website address for GT Car Parts. I couldn't find them via a general search.

16. yank05

yank05 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2003
    New England
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    Hi Bill,

GT Car Parts - (623)-780-2200

Anthony