Argh - scratch remover recs? | FerrariChat

Argh - scratch remover recs?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Entelechy, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Hi All,

Accidents will happen...my wife accidently knocked down a roll of carpet on a shelf in the garage onto my car from about five feet. The backing scratched up my hood in a number of places. First I tried buffing it out, but they were too deep. Then, I tried some Turtle Wax scratch remover (I know, probably not the best by far) which minimized it a bit, but they are still there...

Can anyone recommend a good product? I tried to call Autopia, but they are closed on weekends. The paint is metallic Titanium silver.

Many thanks,
    ~Chris

2. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Chris...Go to an auto body paint supply store and pick up a bottle (and the proper pads) of 3M's Perfect III compound. If that does not do it, then it's off to the body shop. This stuff is awesome!

3. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    send a PM to "TC (Houston)". i was at his place yesterday and he got 3 small scratches out of the roof of one of my cars. he mixed some p21s and 3m hand glaze. it doesn't get it completely out but it makes it much much better. we probably could have gotten it completely out but didn't have the time to work on it.

i was pretty amazed, didn't think you could fix stuff like that.

4. TCM

TCM Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Tyngsborough, MA
    I would reccommend the 3M product line also. Start at the least aggressive product 3M Swirl Mark Remover and work your way up the line. If the Turtle Wax stuff did even the paint out a bit, you may be able to get the scratches out with the 3M. Worst case scenario is filling the scratch with some glaze, wax. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

5. Entelechy

Entelechy Formula Junior

May 19, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Full Name:
    Chris Cummings
    Thanks again guys :) - don't know when I'll be able to get to it as we're still moving into our new home, but I'll post an update when I get to it.

Happy New Year!
    ~C

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Dang, Chris - First thing to do is chant: "Only good things for Chris and Bride."
    Have heard nothing but wonderful things about 3M - I've also seen it put to good use, amazed by transformation.