PZero Blowout and the wisdom of spacesavers | FerrariChat

PZero Blowout and the wisdom of spacesavers

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 550syd, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    #1 550syd, Jan 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Look what happened when I went out for a quiet drive in the 550 today...

Still not sure what caused it, but it's the first time I've had a rear puncture for awhile, and I now know the subtle steering changes that signify something is wrong. It's a lot more subtle than front punctures where the car doesn't track straight. In the 550, the only sign was a squirming under acceleration that something was amiss. Then when it was wandering over the road, this is what I saw when I got out.

Obviously a can of puncture goop was useless - I'm going to buy a spacesaver and put it in the boot - if it happened at night - I would have been totally cactus. As it was, I was about 60 miles out of the city, and the tyre shop owner came out with a spare.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    550syd,

How fast were you driving when the tire blew? Any damage to your rim? Happy to see that you and the car are not worse for wear:)

3. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Not fast - never over 60-80mph max. The problem was I couldn't detect it until it was really squirming all over the road. Rear blowouts are weird things.

The rear rim is OK - nothing a clean up and a fresh coat of paint won't fix. It's the kerbside rear and it's got a few dings on it, so it was going to get patched up one day anyway. Guess that day's come!

4. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    WOW, glad you are ok. I've never gotten a flat, so I still don't know what that change in handling feels like.

5. 456mgt

456mgt Formula Junior

Mar 24, 2002
    Cambridge UK
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Syd- maybe a trick of the light but it doesn't look like you had much tread left on the inner face of that tire, in which case it may simply have worn out. If the wear across the width was uneven, maybe check the other side and the geometry?

Kevin

6. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    Syd, one of the first things I did after buying my 550 was order the spare. I like to drive in out of the way places, and I have had way too many tires go during my time. Despite improvements, cell phones don't work everywhere.

The spare doesn't really take up that much space. I think in cost about $900 US.

Good luck, DrTax

7. shmark

shmark F1 Rookie

Oct 31, 2003
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    $900?? Wow and I thought we were overcharging at $450 for the RX8 spare tire kit. FWIW this is what AAA is for, cheap insurance. Although *when* I get my 550 I will have a spare tire too.

Mark

8. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    I've always wondered about those space saving spares which do fit the "trunk" and save space I guess but what do you do with the 295 or so tire and wheel you take off?

9. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    won't a space saver screw up your rear diff or what not if you have 2 different hight tires back there?

10. 92_348ts

92_348ts Formula Junior

Jun 6, 2002
    Boise, Idaho
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Syd- Glad everything turned out OK. I couldn't believe my 348 only came with a can of Fix-a-Flat. Your blow out goes to shoe that a can of goop isn't a cure all. The first thing I did was go out and purchase a front rim and tire for a spare. I wanted to get the F355 factory spare, however every dealer I called wanted ~$3,500, explaining that the spare/jack/wrench only came as a package.

11. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    a rear wheel that is deflated will fit in the pasenger seat without problem. maybe even an inflated one. if you keep a knife with you and are desperate, you could strip the tire off the wheel and put the tire remnants in the trunk and the wheel might even fit in the passenger footwell with the seat all the way back.

can you define "screw up"? for sure this is just an emergency measure to get you someplace where you can get things fixed.

the maranello spare isn't tiny - over 24" diameter.

doody.

12. F40

F40 F1 Rookie

Apr 16, 2003
    AZ
    Heat up the clutchpacks in the differential because the tires are always turning at different speeds,even when in a straight line, so the diff would think you were always turning due to the different wheel speeds, and things would get hot.

13. zan

zan Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2002
    Boston
    Full Name:
    Mark M
    Don't 550s have low air sensors in the wheels?

14. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Hi syd!
    Glad to see you're ok, and no biggie happened to the car (specially the rim) as well.
    I had puncture on the Merc I had a while ago, on the left rear tyre.
    It was awfully decieving (hope that's spelled ok).
    I mean, I was gueting flash lights and honks from everybody, but the car felt normal... A bit of on the steering, but generaly ok (comparing to my usual front wheel drives)... When I saw it it was almost cuted in slices.... :) Awful!
    It had a spare though! 20 min. later or so I was back in business thanks to the great Bilstein jack on the mercedes... (and the spare was of the same measurement has the original tyre).
    One thing though... With all this "run flat" technology, isn't there something capable of being adapted to the Maranello and the likes?
    I'm really not aware of this and have yet to see it in use, but I guess most of you guys know alot of it and may be able to shed some light on it for me...

Syd, once again, I'm glad to see you're ok. That's the most importante thing.

Miguel

15. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. I understand even the 308 spacesaver spare will fit - same stud pattern on Ferraris forever.

The tyre was actually almost new - the PZero C doesn't have a lot of tread pattern, and the dirt on it makes it look very worn.

You'll remember that I just finished the East Coast Rally http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/sydneylow/ecc/ a few months ago, and I didn't carry a spare - never again.

Funny, there was *no* mobile coverage where I was, so I would have had to walk about a mile back to the nearest town - as it was I pulled off into a national park picnic area, and an off duty highway policeman just happened to swing by and gave me a lift back to town. Unbelievable luck.

16. Red360Stradale

Red360Stradale Karting

Nov 2, 2003
    Bergen County, NJ
    Full Name:
    Kris G

17. LouB

LouB Formula 3

Apr 15, 2001
    FL, OR
    "a rear wheel that is deflated will fit in the pasenger seat without problem."

What do you do with your wife or honey? Leave her by the side of the road? Or do you let her drive home and you stay by the side of the road.

18. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    a man's got to have his priorities, LouB. sheesh.

doody.

19. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    You have a sweetie? Imagine that... The wife has riden in the F-Car once. Not her thing.

Dale

20. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    The boot/trunk of the 550 has a location for a full size rear wheel spare. If you put the spacesaver in that location, you can put the punctured tyre in the boot/trunk!

For the rally, I considered having a spare rear in the boot/trunk and a front spare on the rear parcel shelf behind the passengers.

Obviously this is a bit extreme for normal day to day driving, but there's certainly room if you're doing extreme touring!

21. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    I know the same feeling i had a transfer case go out on my truck once in the California desert and had to unload mu dirt bike and ride 25 miles to get to a pay phone. Talk about a long day :(

22. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    I just moved the Daytona to our new place in the Catskills. No cell phone reception in the area either, so we got a few satalite phones. These are very handy and not so large anymore.

Rijk

23. Kds

Kds F1 World Champ

Barring and signs of a puncture, and like you said, you still do not know what happened yet. may I ask how old the tire was ? We have a thread going here about this age issue and tire deterioration.

24. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    I'll find out more today as we look for signs of a nail or other puncture marks on the tread, and get the manufacture date of the tyre.

25. 550syd

550syd Karting

Nov 1, 2003
    Australia
    #25 550syd, Jan 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Looks like we found the reason. It was a 'cut' in the tyre., Probably caused by a sharp rock that would have caused the air leak, leading to deflation, then overheating of the tyre sidewalls etc...

Seems a few other friends have had problems with sidewalls on R compound tyres too.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login