Small steam cleaner! WOW! | FerrariChat

Small steam cleaner! WOW!

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by PeterS, Jan 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    I picked up a 'Sharks' steam cleaner at Lowes for $99.95 to clean my gokarts. This units is the BOM! Small parts in hard to get areas was a snap. This will work well when I get parts of my engine dirty!

DOWNSIDE: I now have a list of steaming 'honney-do's' from Melodie around the house!

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks i should look into that!

3. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    My wife wants one for cleaning around the house. She's into that movement about avoiding industrial cleansers because of the health concerns. Makes sense to me, actually...

4. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
  5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    If you could, I'd appreciate it. Do you know if the boilers are refillable while in use?

6. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Hmmm... I may have to get one of these. I haven't cleaned the engine bay yet. I'm trying to find the Karcher ones online somewhere, to get an idea of price.

-John

7. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    BigB...Kartcher! That was the name I was trying to remember! Get one of those. The one I have will not do an engine bay job. Is your engine out? If so, I have some tips of what I did with my 308 when the engine was out for a month in my garage.

Pete

8. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    To be honest with you, I don't sell a lot of these as I don't really push them (low profit item), but I will get you pricing on Monday for sure. I am Karcher's #1 dealer in the U.S., so I will be able to get the best discount of anyone out there. I know that I have a demo 1501 in stock if anyone is interested in that. I think that only the commercial DE-4002 steamer has the ability to be refilled during operation. Also check out www.karcher-usa.com.

9. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Peter - No, my engine is in and running. I don't have the nerve to try pulling it. Any cleaning I do will be with it in. The wand on the steamer looks like it would get into most of the nooks of the engine bay.

Tork - I am interested in the Karcher. I have one of their pressure washers and love it. I'll check back and see what you find out during the work week. Thanks in advance for the legwork.

-John

10. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Tork: Please post the price on this thread. I may want to pick one up.

BigB: I could have used a steam cleaner when I had my engine out of my 308 two months ago. I took about 25 hours to clean the engine bay. When it was clean, I painted the firewall and the rear wall and both gas tanks. It looks like new! I also sprayed rubber coating on the main (exposed) parts of the frame. It looks factory fresh!

11. bigbaddad

bigbaddad Karting

Oct 31, 2003
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    John Roberts
    Pete -

Why do you say it wouldn't do an engine bay? Will it only work on light amounts of grease & grime, or is there another reason?

Thanks - John

12. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    The Karcher 1201 steamer has a list price of $279.00. I can sell you guys one for $229.00 plus freight. It comes with the standard nozzle as well as a wallpaper removal tool (these work awesome!). I also have a demo 1501 that I would sell for $175.00. The Karchers are made entirely differently than the less expensive brands. One difference is that the Karcher heats the entire water canister, where the other brands have only a heating plate under the water. The entire heating chamber is stainless steel as well, vs. mild steel on most others. This allows much quicker heating (60 seconds), and longer life of the chamber. The heater is 1500 watts, which allows the temperature to reach a full 293 degrees at 46 psi. Also, there is a pressure control and a steam flow control mounted right on the handle. For safety, the fill cap will not open unless the machine is cooled down. Another safety feature is that there is only 24 volts running through the handle, as opposed to 115 volts on most others. In a nutshell yes, there are less expensive units out there, but as always, you get what you pay for. Let me know if any of you are interested. Jerry.

13. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    Tork, the feature I was trying to remember is called "continuous refill". Basically, it enables you to add water to the tank without having to wait for cooldown/reheating.

14. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    No, this model does not have that feature. The commercial model does (DE-4002), but it lists at $965.00. Honestly, you would be hard pressed to use an entire tank (cleaning around the house) in one usage anyway. Keep in mind that you need to use distilled water in these things or the combustion chamber will scale up very quickly.

15. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Which one would be good to spot clean carpets to remove pet stains? My cats love to spit up on the carpets sometimes:)

16. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
  17. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    Tork-Intersting, do you think this is overkill for home use? Looks like it would also clean furniture as well such removal of cat hair? Is this a lot better than just using carpet stain remover in the can and vacuming? I have mixed results with that method.

I am sure these are basic questions but I have never thought about going this route before. Or do I take the next step and get something even bigger that allows me to steam clean my entire carpet? Thanks, Greg

18. greg512tr

greg512tr Formula Junior
    Owner

Feb 19, 2002
    Dallas TX
    Full Name:
    Greg B
    And one more question, I have allergies and am thinking frequent steam cleaning may help...is this true?

19. PeterS

Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Tork...The unit I was talking about was the Shark, NOT your unit! I may pop for the unit at $170.00. Please drop me an email at [email protected]

Peter (The guy you sent the part to last month)

20. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    Greg,
    Any time that you can reduce the amount of dust, dirt, pet dander, etc., then your body will stop producing histamine to block said offenders, thus reducing your allergic reactions. So yes, it will help to some degree but more importantly, make sure that you have a QUALITY vacuum that has a QUALITY filter on it (HEPA filter reducing 99%+ down to 3 microns) to vacuum up the offending histamine producers in your carpet and NOT put them back into the air. Having said that, I would be lying to you if I said that you NEED this spotter vs. a consumer duty unit. Tornado only makes commercial duty equipment that you could not wear out in a lifetime. The 8220 spotter lists at $620.00 but I can sell you one for $495.00. To be honest with you for around the house, you may be better off getting a consumer grade extractor. Tornado's cheapest extractor is the Puzzi 100 that lists for $749.00, which I could sell you for $599.00 (again, commercial grade). See link above.
    BTW: what allergy drug do you currently take? My wife is a rep for Zyrtec and that works awesome for me. Jerry.