The thin line between Exotic cars and "normal" | FerrariChat

The thin line between Exotic cars and "normal"

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by lotustt, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    "near-exotic levels of performance" That is a brief statement of a press release of the new C6 Corvette, with predicted 0-60 times of 4.1. Now what defines an exotic car these days? It seems the line between normal car and exotic is blurring drastically. When you have a 2 seater that can go that fast but then have a 4 door sedan that can equally compete in at least that speed 0-60, where is the defining line? What is fast anymore? It seems some people have become so jaded in regards to how fast a car is. As if 5.5 seconds to sixty is not fast?! NOw it seems as if 4.5 seconds to sixty area is about the norm for this certain class of vehicles. And those times used to be considered exotic, what are they now? Ha. All these new cars coming out that are fast and there all encroaching on each other. Does the term exotic still exist persay? It just seems the lines are becoming much more blurred when such a variety of cars can achieve such high speeds. Im not really talking about price but all these cars in general. The way horsepower is flying off the shelves from manufacturers I hope the Government doesnt get involved. Thoughts?

2. aawil

aawil Formula 3

Aug 10, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I think to be an exotic you have to have the whole package.Looks,Performance, and exclusivity.I think the C6 has definetly got the looks and speed to be an exotic but it will fall short in exclusivity based on the fact they'll be building 30-40 thousand a year probably.C5's are everywhere now.So it's tuff to say really.Ferrari,Lambo,Lotus will always be exotic's because they pretty much define the term.

3. Schatten

Schatten F1 World Champ
    Owner

Apr 3, 2001
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Randy
    While one car might go 0-60 in so many seconds as opposed to an exotic going 0-60 in the same amount of time doesn't necessarily mean they are in the same category, or near the same category. 0-60 and 1/4 mile times are 'ok' benchmarks for the desktop racer going through Road & Track / Car & Driver and the like, but they lose the thrills of actually driving the car, or how it is designed as a whole.

Exotic cars such as Ferrari's are more race-bred and are closer to an actual race car where you must pay attention and really drive the car. Other cars are designed and built for the masses and have a few special models which are just flat out kick ass in the performance department. Look at the Subaru WRX STi - fantastic car, but the chassis and entire car isn't on the edge of being a race car, nor near any kind of exoticness.

I, along with most of you, can see what is exotic, but to define it - that is a difficult one. Exotic means rare, and that means that very few are made for a limited amount of people. That's not something that the STi will be.

But what about performance in uber-exotics? The Rolls Phantom is ultra-quiet. You can't hear the darned thing. It weighs around 6000 lbs. Yet, it will go 0-60 in sub-6 seconds. Weight, racing heritage, speeds, who knows what really defines an exotic as being an exotic. But being exlcusive is it. Nothing more. You can even have a slow exotic if you want. That would be the not-so-successful (due to the cheaper Miata release at the time), Lotus Elan in the late 80's/early 90's. It was powered by Mitsubishi and god-forbid, front wheel drive. Exclusive to those who thought it was road worthy for a mere $39K price tag, which is still absurd for the car today. Exotic because of the branding, the way it is hand-built, and the number produced - yeup.

4. Mojo

Mojo Formula 3

Sep 24, 2002
    Washington St.
    Full Name:
    Joseph
    Its all just an opinion, some thing a 360 is exotic and others would say no way. Maybe everyone would agree on Enzo, saleen S7, Porsche carrara GT, ect. but of course those are all (supercars) another word to define.

5. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    If a kid dreams of it, it's half way to exotic.

If grown men dream of it, then it's exotic.

6. WFO_Racer

WFO_Racer Karting

Nov 5, 2003
    Newport Beach Ca
    Exotic :Sports car,stratospheric price, prodigious performance,limited production.

McLaren F1, F50, Enzo,959 cars like these.

My wife drives a 03 E55 with modifications done by Brabus (over 500hp) but it's still just a grocery getter. My 360 is a dime a dozen here in So-Cal. It's a sports car yes, but too common to be a exotic.

7. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Exotics will always be associated with speed and style. The Hp wars are getting crazy. If the new 600Hp Corvette comes out, it will not only be an 80,000 dollar Murcielago killer, but with a few bolt ons, an Enzo killer. Does this mean i will buy the Corvette? No. Does it mean i will twin turbo my Murcielago to stay at the forefront, yes, i will.

Take a Ferrari 328 for example. Awesome car. Get in, drive it. Dissappointment. Car has to have speed to match the looks.

Ferrari is falling behind in both areas of exotic car appeal.

8. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    In my age group, right now Ferrari's only 'exotic' *by my terms* is the Testarossa. All of Lamborghini's cars are exotics though. Not a single Mercedes is, not a single Porsche. Call us spoiled. :D

9. bostonmini

bostonmini Formula 3

Nov 8, 2003
    gentleman...we need a plan, how can we cut down all chevy/mb/audi HP? this is going to be embarassing for lambo/ferrari/porsche, mods shouldnt be necessary to keep 200mph cars ahead of the pack! lets hope the makers will do it for us!

10. JaguarXJ6

JaguarXJ6 F1 Veteran

Feb 12, 2003
    Black Hawk, CO
    Full Name:
    Sunny
    Hire better engineers. Discover what "build quality" is. Spend some of that fat profit margin (if exist) on R&D to build a better car.

Otherwise, they will have to be content with being 2nd place, or worse.

Sunny

11. lotustt

lotustt Formula 3

Aug 28, 2002
    Full Name:
    TRM
    Thats mostly my point, the exotic car world is being taken down by "lesser" vehicles. There coming and there coming on strong, where as the only thing exotic about them will be what? I guess maybe there hand built nature or perhaps looks but that still depends.

12. PeterS

PeterS Four Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2003
    Goodyear, AZ
    Full Name:
    PeterS
    Drivers of Honda's, Vet's, Etc. are not driving marque's. I guess that is a main difference.