Roof/door seal wear | FerrariChat

Roof/door seal wear

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by peajay, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    #1 peajay, Jan 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    My 328 GTS has two heavily worn areas on the rubber seal that runs around the doors and roof. The worn areas are just above the tops of the windows on both sides. Ferrari UK has this long seal at a good price so I will replace it soon, but I would prefer not to have the same wear re-start on the new one. Does anyone have a similar condition and any advice to avoid this ? Any tips on installing the new seal ?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Peajay,
    I'm sure that is the original seal. Replacement every 17 years seem reasonable to me. :)

3. peajay

peajay Formula Junior

Apr 17, 2002
    near Paris, France
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes I know what you mean Dave, its no big deal, does yours have wear at the same kocations ? I wondered if there is something that I am missing that needs to be looked at. By the way the Ferrari UK price for this seal is probably cheaper than the cost for a couple of Ford seals, a pleasant surprise.

4. Ksullender

Ksullender Formula Junior

Sep 3, 2003
    USA
    You're not missing anything. This wears due to the top rubbing as it is latched down. The best thing you can do after replacement is make sure the front of the top is in as far as possible before latching and try to keep the weatherstrip conditioned with some type of 'armoral' type product.

5. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I suggest regular misting with silicone spray which keeps the seal lubricated. Then periodic treatment with Leatherique's Rejuvinator Oil.
    There seems to be a growing consensus that Armorall doesn't preserve rubber, may even accelerate it's degradation. (Do some web searching for classic car & motorcycle sites for Armorall.)

6. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Yes, I have similar wear, though not as extensive. Someday I will replace all my seals as well. I do spray ALL the seals on my cars twice per year with silicone. I don't know if it does much for lengthening life, but does seem to reduce "creeks" and "squeeks", and makes for a quieter ride.