Jaguar XKE Series 2 | FerrariChat

Jaguar XKE Series 2

Discussion in 'Other Italian' started by snj5, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    Okay already, I know it's not italian, but.....

does anyone have any experience with the series 2 Jag XKE coupe or 2+2? Have a couple of books already, but was looking for personal experience with maint., parts support, and daily use from first hand.

Would have placed this in off topic, but thought this was a better target audience.

many thanks
    rt

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    My first car was a series 2 1969 E-type roadster. I still have that car today.
    It has the open headlights and larger marker lights. It also has smog eguipment, and no eared knock offs.
    It is less desireable than the 1961-67 cars. If I were buying today I prefer the 1961-64 E-types as their styling was the most pure. I also prefer the 3.8 l to the 4.2 l engine.
    As always, buy the best restored example you can afford.
    My car has been very reliable.
    The series 2 cars are the ugly cousins to the earlier cars(no such thing as a series 1 designation).
    Never buy a 2 plus 2 car, as they are very poorly proportioned.
    Hope this helps.

3. icars

icars Formula Junior

Mar 28, 2002
    Plano Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney Haas
    They are a good bang for the buck. Nothing wrong with the 4.2. I am more of a Sedan guy so I am current looking @ 4200 or Mark X. Try http://www.jag-lovers.org/ for more information. There should be several people with experience on the forum. If you cannot find anybody PM me and I will talk to some of the guys in our local Jaguar Drivers club.

4. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

Jags are fun, but as a daily driver I would think it could be a pain. They like to run hot and earlier cars might not have AC. I agree the series 1, as already stated, is the best looking (but I'm prejudice). 4.2 has some updates - better brakes, 1st gear syncro with a better box). I agree totally w/ the statement buy the best one you can find – and be very careful of rust and/or quick fixes. Parts are available and there are many sources for original or upgrades. Coupes are starting to get some serious $$ compared to 2 yrs ago and again I agree the 2+2 looks awkward.

One thing to be very aware of is there are parts which require an engine out to replace and repair. Trans cannot be taken out without the engine being pulled.

Look and drive as many as you can find, don’t rush into a purchase.

5. Brad D

Brad D Rookie

Jan 2, 2004
    I had a 69 XKE coupe in college back in the mid-80s. I loved the car and wish I still had it. I pulled the engine out a couple of times, once to replace a clutch (which I did myself, much to my chagrin) and again for some other reason I don't recall. However, I learned the second time to drop it down rather than up and out. Much easier. To this day I rue the day I ever heard of a "reaction tie plate". Just a piece of metal between the transmission and the engine bolted to the car with only 4 or 6 bolts if I recall. I think I had four different angled ratchet pieces linked together to get to them at which point I could muster up only "one" click at a time. Took a couple of days to get that piece out of the way, but I digress. I too would lean towards a pre-68 car. If I had my drothers now, I would go with a 67 convertible but I still love the coupes. Airconditioning is an issue which somewhat drives that decision since I live in Texas. I managed several Texas summers in it without a/c and lived though. Since there is such a following for the car, there are many sources for parts. I used it as a daily driver and had my share of problems. But since you don't have to fight computers, emissions, etc. it is a manageable task and you can do it yourself. Like any exotic car, you will need to become good friends with a mechanic for no other reason than pointers on easy things you can do yourself. Unlike a new Ferrari, you can fix things yourself. Once you get used to little niggling problems, you get a feel for what you need to fix or monitor (i.e. voltage regulators, alternators, starters, throttle linkages, etc.). Don't let Jaguar's reputation put you off of an XKE, let it put you off a mid-90s XJ12 or another recent computerized mess. To keep things in perspective, I wouldn't think twice about tackling a water pump replacement on an XKE, but I scarcely think about even opening the hood on my 2000 MB E55, however. Maybe I am old-fashioned, I like to know that I can point to something in an engine compartment and identify it.

6. Peter K.

Peter K. F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 9, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Peter K.
    On digital cable, a show called "A Car Is Reborn". Great British guy restoring an early e-type. It has me at the tv every weekend for 30 minutes. The guy is very entertaining and learning a lot about the Jag and restorations.

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I've had a lot of XKE's in my time. I did have a 71 V12 series 3 that I drove as a daily driver. I've had that V12 so freeking overheated that it isn't funny and it still kept going. I put around 100,000 miles on that car, and bought it with the spedo disconnected and a lot of miles on it already!
    The only problems I had were electrical. Man that was one smooth running 12.

8. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

By the way, I pulled my transmission twice without pulling the engine. It can be done on a 2+2 anyway.