87' Mondial Cab with Tubi , K&N & hyperflow cat= 0-60 in 5.5 seconds | FerrariChat

87' Mondial Cab with Tubi , K&N & hyperflow cat= 0-60 in 5.5 seconds

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DeAvilla, Jan 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DeAvilla

DeAvilla Rookie

Jan 4, 2004
    Whidbey Island
    Full Name:
    Kent R. DeAvilla
    I 've proved that Ferrari 's(ferrariowners's site/yesterday)0-60 times to be modest and several independent(fastcars.net, *************) street 0-60 claims to be innacurate information to be inaccurate on the 3.2 Mondial Cabs and 328. It states 0-60 in 7.4 seconds, I call bulls!#t I did several 0-60 sprints in my car with a passenger clocking anywhere from 5.4 to 5.7 seconds . The engine is stock for the most part. this is what I've added:

K& N Filter: $ 45.00
    Tubi Exhaust: $ 2200.00
    Hyperflow SS Cat(basically a test pipe which passes emmisions): $795.00

The sound is Glorious. A 3.2 Mondial Cabriolet can be just as fast as a T for about $ 3000.00. I do find the styling of the T to be a little nicer. I was bumper to bumper with a 2000 audi S4 from 0-60 and I pulled him from 80 to 140.

2. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    You clocked it? And how may i ask did you clock? Was the passanger counting one ...one thousand two .... one thousand ?

3. DeAvilla

DeAvilla Rookie

Jan 4, 2004
    Whidbey Island
    Full Name:
    Kent R. DeAvilla
    There is a clock/timer built in to the dash console in the Mondial. He said"GO!" at the same time pressed the start button, when the car reached 60mph, he pressed stop. These numbers averaged in the 5.6 second range.

4. snj5

snj5 F1 World Champ

Feb 22, 2003
    San Antonio
    Full Name:
    Russ Turner
    I would imagine there may be some error if the stock speedo and tire sizes are used.
    A 3.2 with a tubi+cat change+k&n is more typically a +/- 6.5 sec 0-60 car. It's pretty tough at that weight to break 6.0 with the 1 -2 shift dogleg...

But I'm all for your numbers and hope it's true! :)

5. DeAvilla

DeAvilla Rookie

Jan 4, 2004
    Whidbey Island
    Full Name:
    Kent R. DeAvilla
    LOL! According to Ferrari, the 87' Mondial 3.2 Cabriolet only weighs 3200 lbs. A 90' 5.0 mustang moves 0-60 in 6.2 seconds and its sports a modest 220hp stock. It also weights 3450lbs. My father owns one, and yes, the 3.2 Mondial is faster.

6. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    LOL. The only way a Mondial could run 0-60 in 5.5 seconds is off a cliff. Too many variables your not accounting for. First your timing method is very imprecise, 2nd speedo error, tire size, road could be downhill etc.

As for the Ferrari vs Mustang theory, Ferrari quoted weights of today are highly doubtable, let alone those quoted in 1987, same goes for hp.

Why not take it to the dragstrip? Or you could buy a G-tech timer, which is still imprecise, but not as bad as your method.

7. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Those crude little devices arent half bad.

I threw one in a few cars at the track a few years back and damned if the GTech wasnt within a tenth or two of the track slip each time!

The trap speeds always seemed to read high though (2-3 mph). Apparently, the Gtech takes the speed at the actual 1/4 mile point, while tracks use the 66 ft speed trap at the end of the track. Im not sure that that extra 66 ft accounts for all the mph difference though as the acceleration rate at say 100 mph to 103 mph in 33 ft (half the trap distance) would be fairly staggering for a car of that power level.

8. DeAvilla

DeAvilla Rookie

Jan 4, 2004
    Whidbey Island
    Full Name:
    Kent R. DeAvilla
    Correction, the 0-60 7.4 seconds Ferrari claimed is for the the 2 valve mondial 8. I have a Mondial 3.2 four valve engine same as 328. This car is not far behind a 328's performance. The cars sprints 0-60 in under 6 seconds. A buddy of mine had a 87 Testarossa with straight pipes and I was bumper to bumper up to 60mph. Then he pulled me mercilessly. Anather good reference as to how quick the 3.2 Mondi is. No BS, No Optimism. I know the 3.2 Mondials weren't street rockets, I know for a fact they they are six second cars, sub six second with exhaust, k&n, hyperflow cat.

9. allanlambo

allanlambo F1 Rookie

Jun 9, 2002
    Maui
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Lets see heres a few points of reference for you:

Autocar Magazine 6/86
    3.2 Mondial
    0-60mph= 6.8
    curb weight 3647

Motor Magazine 5/88
    3.2 Mondial
    0-60=6.3
    curb weight 3643

Road and Track 7/87
    0-60=7.0
    Curb weight 3695

So, now you can compare Euro vs U.S. Test weights are all virtually identical, id say the difference in the Euro and U.S. car would be smog equipment.

For reference 2 magazines , Motor and Autocar, list the 328GTB right around 3370pds, both with a 0-60 in 5.5 sec.

Also, for your Testarossa reference, a TR is a DOG to 60mph.

10. Jet-X

Jet-X F1 Veteran

Nov 2, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Correction - 7.4 is correct. 7.6 is for the QV 3.0 cars, and higher than that is the 2 valve 8. Mondial t is quoted as 0-60 in 6.3, while it has been clocked as fast as 5.9.

There is no way a 3.2 is clocking faster than a t. I owned both cars, and while the 3.2 is certainly peppy, it ain't no 0-60 in the 5 second range.

11. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    have to agree with Jet and Allen on this...Mondial is no rocket ship. The times you got were not near being correct. Mostly because of the method you used. A mondial is a heavy car for a 3.2l engine to be pushing around. 0-60 in the high 6 second low 7 sec is much more in line. Maybe a mondial coupe could attation these numbers but not a cab.