FerrariChat Owners Club. | FerrariChat

FerrariChat Owners Club.

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 360CS, Jan 1, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #1 360CS, Jan 1, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Listen Guys,

Ive compiled a short list of all your details from this forum, I was a member of FOC and I may re-new my membership this year.

However all you members, do you get what you expected from the club?

My own experience in the Kent area was disapointing, to date I still have no reply to my concerns regarding meets etc..

I love Ferraris and was looking forward to meeting others who share the passion for the marque..

Ive had a positive response from people on here ( you know who you are) far better than the FOC UK ...

Im keen to organise our own Club and we can get exactly what we want out of it...

Whats your thoughts on the FOC UK ??
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I've just renewed my membership for 2004 - need it mainly for insurance. Didn't attend any monthly meets last year but intend to do so this year. Did get in free entry for Oulton Park in August.

I think the majority of Ferrarichat members are down London way and to commute once a month etc to meets from Manchester is a bit too far. I will certainly attend some of meets organised on here but can't commit to monthly ones - have to leave that to the FOC.

3. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I think we have to be a bit careful what we say about FOC UK on a public forum....however, it's no secret we have found the organisation of Regional meetings to be less than adequate.
    I'm more than happy to go ahead with our own group but will still remain a member of FOC UK . Here's hoping they will do something to address our concerns.
    Tony

4. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I think it's worth it, the Club organises some good events (Concours/ National Meet, trackdays, factory visits etc) I look forward to reciving the bi - monthly mags and the colour one has some interesting stuff on older cars.

I would agree that local area events can be poor, although RobertB on here was the organiser for Thames Valley and all credit to him for kicking it off, it's probably taken 2 years but it seems to be getting more organised now with visits to Ferrari UK, meets for a meal while watching a GP etc.

The one area that seems to be under used is the website, particularly the forum which I probably visit once a month now due to the limited postings/ content and with the growing base of UK Ferrari owners visiting here it's not going to get any better.

Ultimately there is a place for the FOC in my 'Ferrari world' but I look forward to our meets (thanks Joe for giving us the kick to get it going!) which I am sure will grow but maybe we can mix them, I mean it would be great for all of us to go to the Concours in convoy, 20 - 30 odd Ferraris will be a site to be seen :)

5. sletti

sletti F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 19, 2003
    NW Kent
    Full Name:
    Stig W
    Also bear in mind that there is a lot of "officialdom" that you need in place in order to opperate legally as a club (secretary, chairman, president, treasurer, comitee and AGM).

I think it would be beneficial if we could meet up in a pub some evening and get organised what we want from a club as full discussions are gonna require too much typing.....

We'll talk on Sunday

Stig

6. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Stig, Mark,Joe et al;
    I agree with comments posted about Regional meets and the forum on FOC UK.I am currently in contact with Foc and have suggested various ways to get us back involved with the Club .I'll post the suggestions below and if anyone has anything to add, please do and I'll fwd those too;

Tony

1] Make sure there are regular meetings -where possible- with dedicated
    organisers.Most of my gripes are to do with this matter and the fact that
    emails asking what's going on are not replied to.I know Kent members are
    also having this problem.
    2] Liven up the message board and open it up to non-Ferrari owners.The UK
    FOC has an image-however unfair- of being stuffy and old fashioned.
    3] Get sponsorship in to promote FOC UK.Perhaps this could be used to bring
    about a reduction in membership fees?
    4]Show us what we get for our membership fee.The magazine is great and
    should be produced more regularly.However, I'm not sure what the actual
    membership fee is used for.
    5]Make better use of email to alert members what's happening

7. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi tony,I was very tempted to send a cheque off to FOC-UK to join the none ferrari owners(the prancing horse register)then i discoverd F-chat,
    I couldn't believe that Rob Lay would let me on here,and on oct-7-03
    that was it,never went back to FOC because i couldn't get off here,
    I love ferraris there magic,so to the no-2 point you made tony,if ferrari
    uk club wont let none owners on there boards thats a shame,all they need to do is tell people when coming on the boards to be sensible ask what you want to know about peoples ferraris and im sure they will tell you what they can,and when you go to a meeting, they cannot sit on peoples ferraris they are not £100 ford fiestas-you know what i mean,they are very very expensive,DONT TOUCH LOOK,
    ive decided not to join untill the uk open the boards up to none owners
    why should i not be aloud on i dont mind paying,
    sorry about the rant but i liked tonys no-2 point he made in his post,
    cheers
    Dale.

8. 360F1

360F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2003
    Full Name:
    360F1

9. matkat

matkat Formula 3

Mar 18, 2003
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Dave McGuire
    Tony in reference to opening up the web-site remember I have already suggested that and was told there was no way that they would do that.When I have "dared" to make any points to them all i can say is that I am definately "Fobbed off"point in question was the missing thread C.M. replied to me that they take of the threads that are of no longer any intrest however some of the threads have dates of 2001 as the last posts.
    Best regards
    Dave McGuire

10. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Hi Dave,
    I remember you telling me that. However, I'm giving it another go because of recent contact with FOC UK. You never know......!
    Tony

11. mac355gts

mac355gts Karting

Dec 27, 2003
    London/Kent U.K
    Full Name:
    Alan
    My experiences of the FOC have been exactly as per those listed above.
    Having said that I am still considering rejoining !.
    I last joined it 2 years ago,so my perceptions may be out of date.
    The key point that has been made here is what exactly do we get for our £90 odd quid ??,the magazine is always welcome,but you pay seperately for that,and it is woefully old fashioned in it's design and style.

12. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Am member of FOC - as I understand it the experiences detailed above are replicated by many across South East.

In London I converse with 3 crowds - Ferrarichat.com (for those with computing knowledge), FOC UK (for those who like the sticker) and Home House Ferrari group (for those in London). There is significant overlap with all three crowds. I personally don't care what banner is used when organising or joining in on enjoyable drives, convoys, trips, meet ups, etc. - the more the merrier (sic?) as far as I am concerned.

Can someone post any outcome, discussions or future events that arise from meet up this Sunday. This will be the second drive I couldn't make - third time lucky I hope.

Izza

13. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Izza,
    I agree that the main thing is to get our cars on the road and meet up with like-minded enthusiasts.I'll keep you posted on what's talked about Sunday.
    Tony

14. Izza

Izza Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    London
    Thanks very much Tony - the weather forecasts are better so I'll have to limit myself to a quick run up the M40 to the game.

15. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    The FOC does have its uses (insurance, track days, nice sticker for the daily driver etc.)
    I always find Peter and Co. in the office usefull when I've needed some help and advice (pre fchat)
    That said I'm supprised that the forum isnt open to PHC members (I could be wrong about this)
    The advertising section is usefull (but that didnt stop that f&*$ng theiving Pratt Entwistle advertising things he'd stolen out of my workshop, and he's not even a member!)

Would'nt mind meeting up with the north west Fchat crowd when the weathers better, I find that the local FOC crowd can be just a tad clique'y (and tend to be a little older!!)

16. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    Andrew - I'm up for a NW meet. Maybe we could organise a mini convoy down to a London meet too.

Rich

17. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    Rich

Sounds like the begining of a good plan, will have to wait until the weathers a tad warmer for a run down south (as both my cars are a little older and quite a lot more unreliable!!!)

18. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
  19. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    I think Izza made a valid point, Im not making any suggestions for one moment that people should boycott FOC UK, In fact I like the Bi-Mags and Montly Colour Mag. I was suggesting something else, other than the FOC UK.

I must reliterate that im not anti-FOC UK im just not happy with the service that has previously been provided within the package of Membership.

If the Kent area members dont meet" just say so" its no big deal, as for the national meets and trackdays "I look forward to these events with an open mind"

See you on Sunday guys and we can discuss further.....

20. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #20 360CS, Jan 2, 2004

Tony,

Have you had any replies from this??

I will be surprised if you extract anything tangable regarding your comments, but good luck.

21. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Joe ,
    I've heard back from FOC UK and they are considering the points i raised. I'll keep everyone updated if FOC have anything interesting to say.
    Tony

22. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Following today's little meet up, the consensus seemed to be that we should push for FOC UK to get their act together with regard to regular meetings and try to get them to open up the forum more.
    If we want to go down the route of setting up our own club to which subscriptions are paid, there are quite a few legal obligations that have to be fulfilled first; electing a Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer etc. All in all a lot of work to replicate what we already pay FOC UK to do in the 1st place!
    In the abscence of FOC sorting out the meeting issue, it seems better to organise things on Fchat like we have been doing.Stig suggested that instead of having to PM everyone about venue, we should come up with ideas for venues, copy relevant maps and number them and simply refer to venues by number. So suggestions,pls....
    Tony

23. 360CS

360CS F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Kent
    Full Name:
    Joe J
    #23 360CS, Jan 4, 2004

Tony,

Good points, but again all i was suggesting was a more organised version of our current meetings ie : Every six weeks or so in places as you have suggested that suit all, this regular event allows people who want to come out and take part to do so, plan the day inadvance.

I was not suggesting a Subscription fee would be applicable or anything like it.

Sorry if i have given the wrong impression, I just felt with a little more organisation the group who attends this board on a regular basis could be brought together and form something more.

Amen!!

24. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    Hi Joe,
    It seems like we 've got our wires crossed! Your original plan - meet more regularly - is what we all want to happen and i'm more than happy to help you organise venues,etc.
    If we can get FOC to organise meets their end properly we'll have the best of both worlds.
    Sorry for any confusion.
    Tony

25. Robertb

Robertb Formula 3

Nov 19, 2003
    South Oxfordshire, U
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Interesting thread. As Mark says, I was indeed the founder and regional organiser for the Thames Valley region of the FOC. The difficulty I found was once initial interest had been established, getting people to help organise was very difficult. Members only tended to respond to direct mailings (not emails) which meant a lot of envelope stuffing and stamp licking for me. When ideas were floated, interest was generally muted. Attendance at monthly meetings was sometimes 1-2, but raised to 20-30 on hot summer eves. People were happy to suggest ideas and say more should happen, but always seemed to be busy when it came to the crunch.

I began to ask "why am I doing this?", and combined with time pressures my involvement decreased, which was not fair to the core of keen members who had begun to attend events. I was therefore pleased to hand over the reigns to a new committee who are doing great things, so I hope local members support the events that they organise.

The framework of the FOC should be regarded as an opportunity for Fchat, eg why not ditch the FOC UK forum, and have a link straight to FChat UK?

I'm sure that the FOC would be happy to publicise FChat.

I'd not recommend starting a separate club- it is a lot of work- the FOC secretariat are employed full time, and in my view do a great job.

In terms of what, as a member, you get out of the FOC depends to a certain extent on what you put in.

The idea of FChat meetings is a good one, and seems to work well on an ad hoc basis organised via this forum. As I see it, what we want to do is discuss our cars, give advice and share experiences with prospective owners and enthusiasts. If we also meet and have a drive out once in a while, then that is excellent, and I look forward to joining you guys one of these days when the missus gives me a permit to travel! I think the current F Chat UK framework allows this just fine.

Robert.