Lancia Stratos with Ferrari engine? | FerrariChat

Lancia Stratos with Ferrari engine?

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by tifosi12, Dec 21, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Just bought the 1/18 Kyosho Lancia Stratos thinking it used the 308 V8 engine. However when I opened the hood there was V6. Looked very similar, but clearly a V6.

So what did the Stratos really use? A Dyno engine from a 246? Or were there different Stratos versions?

2. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    The original Lancia Stratos prototype (the wedge) used a Lancia Fulvia 1.6HF v4. All of the "production" Stratos' (competition and street versions) used the Dino v6, or a turbocharged version of the Dino engine. None of them used the v8.

Got the return package the other day, by the way. Thanks!

3. 250lm

250lm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niels Schouten
    Yep Dino V6, the Thema 8.32 used a Ferrari 328 engine.

Niels

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks guys, that was fast!

Jeff, if you ever need some footage, I know I owe you big time!

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Before Ferrari agreed to provide the 500 Dino v6 engines necessary for homologation, there was also at least one prototype with a Fiat 132 4-cylinder twincam engine. At one time they also considered using the v6 from the Citroen-Maserati.

6. FerrariStuff.com

FerrariStuff.com Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    www.************.com
    Full Name:
    Jack Habits
    I checked but mine has friction drive....

Jack

7. Kingpin328

Kingpin328 Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2003
    No way!

"8.32" meant 8 cylinder, 32 valves. Derived from the 308QV, displacement around 3 litres I think, it also had a differently arranged crankshaft for a 'smoother' behaviour in the lower RPM-ranges versus the ferrari-engine. Sadly IMO, this also ruined the typical F-sound. The few times I heard one, it sounded like a Range rover to me. Yuck.......

On a side note, I've seen a number of Stratos-replicas using 308-drivetrains, esp. carbed engines and the early FI-ones (cheaper?).

Bram

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    All very interesting. My Ferrari mechanic actually owns such a Thema. I hope he'll give me a ride one day to check that out.

Stratos replicas? Hmm, I had that idea myself, turning my 308 in such a car, but didn't think anybody would have made panels. Do you have any more information?

9. 250lm

250lm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niels Schouten
    Could be, but not very logical since the Thema 8.32 was built in the late eighties and early nineties when the 308 was long gone! The 328 was introduced somewhere around 1986 so it should be more logical it is a modified 328 engine. I believe the Ferrari engine had two crankshafts where the Lancia only had one, or something like that. I am not technical, so do not should me on this one ;-) I think I heard it many times mentioned it was indeed a 328 engine, but am not totally 100% sure.

Niels

10. 250lm

250lm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niels Schouten
  11. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    You would be better off just using the drivetrain from your car and dropping it into one of these. Order the HF3000QV chassis which is built to accept the Ferrari engine right from the start:

Hawk Replicas

Heck, rip off the VIN plate on your Ferrari and slap it onto the replica chassis... Makes it even easier to register (ehhh, although slightly illegal)!

:)

12. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Thanks for that! Didn't know about them. I'll keep that in mind.

13. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi,The lancia thema 8.32 had a new crank with throws of 90deg,the ferrari had 180deg crank throws,just calmed it down a little in the lancia,
    cheers
    Dale.
    Lancia-215bhp
    ferrari-270bhp

14. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wonder whether the panels from Hawks could be mounted on the frame of a 308? Probably not that easy to make the cabin look authentic?

15. Kingpin328

Nov 7, 2003
    No sweat Niels,

I happened to be 'into' Ferrari's LONG before I was into a Ferrari ....

I occasionally saw the replica's in british kitcar-magazines years ago, Peter's link sure looks like what I saw back then.

As for the crank-arrangement, I never saw anyone mention it on this board, but when I start the 328 cold, I certainly feel the engine-rumble sort of 'shake' the car. Rather weird, until you get used to it.

As for the thema 8.32; surely someone has press-release pictures and a cut-through-drawing? I know I do, I think I saw them in a Ferrari World-article in the early nineties. Sadly, my magazine-collection lives in banana-boxes these days and my scanner just seems to have died.
    Anyway, think of the job they did, fitting a 3 litre V8, transversely, frontwheel-drive, in a car that size! Funny, I phantasized for years about building a ferrari-kitcar using the "Lancia by Ferrari"-engine.

BTW Tifosi, no offence meant to your mechanic! These cars where wolves in sheep-clothing; fast and, how do you say, inconspicuous (sp.?). Surely a more sensible and luxurious way of transportation than many F-car. Not that I would ever trade, but still.

Geez, I'm bitten now. Must find those damn' pic's ....

Bram

16. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    No offense taken. He "inherited" the car from a non paying customer. The car is actually quite elegant. I like the wolf thing btw. Reminds of that Renault minivan with the underpinnings of a Williams F1. Remember Prost taking unsuspecting passengers around racetracks?

17. Kingpin328

Nov 7, 2003
    Sorry Niels, just could'nt resist.....

Nothing wrong about not knowing these cars inside out! I found out only after getting one, that learning about these cars as mechanical objects at least equals the joy of observing and driving.
    Still - I would not mention quotes like above too loud. They will say of course the're laughing with you, not about you .....

Geintje!! voor zover niet bekend kan ik alleen maar van harte aanbevelen eens in een workshop-manual te duiken, erg leerzaam. ik neem aan dat je http://ferrari.jenkins.org/books/ kent?

Bram

18. Dale

Dale F1 Veteran

Oct 7, 2003
    uk
    Full Name:
    Dale Juan
    Hi Gents i have a ferrari book which tests the ferrari mondial and the lancia thema 8.32 head to head,when you look at the under bonnet pic of the lancia boy what a tight fit that engine was,
    The book is-ferrari 328-348-mondial gold portfolio-1986-1994,
    road and comparison tests specifications mondial,3.2qv t cab 328 gtb gts tb ts spider gt
    Brooklands books,brought it from a classic car show in the uk,
    cheers
    Dale.

19. Kingpin328

Nov 7, 2003
    Oh yeah ..... that Renault Espace, right? That is a long time ago!
    I suddenly remember that Alfa Romeo-creation of a 75-lookalike with a V10 (I think) stuffed in the middle, somewhere around the time the F40 came to life. Even more pic's to look for I guess.

Bram

20. Peter

Peter F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 21, 2000
    B.C., Canada
    The 308 has a much longer wheelbase, so you'd have to modify it to fit. No need, the Hawk kit is complete with frame, just throw the engine in and other bits and you're good to go!

21. 250lm

250lm Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Niels Schouten
    Hi Bram,

Have to many books and magazines on Ferrari (approx. 500 mags and 100 books) so I should be ashamed ;-). In my defence: I haven't found the time yet to read them all (or any of them actually) :-(. Can't remember I have seen much on the Thema 8.32 to be honest. Like the idea of the car. BTW, in Brummen there are two for sale at the moment in the basement. The first floor is of course much more interesting at the moment ;-)

Niels

22. Kingpin328

Nov 7, 2003
    Hey Niels,

I know what you mean, I also go for the glossy pics only, usually. Often, it even pisses me off when I sometimes stumble across rather gross omissions in the write-ups.

Haven't been to the Brummen-expo, don't think I will either. Saw some of the pics somewhere on the bord - (yours? dr. Bob's? someone else's? I forgot) and - oh well. I prefer the club-gatherings, nice to see these things burn some fuel too. BTW I did go to the kick-off meeting, or whatever it was called, in jan. '03. I quite liked the looks of the workshop! Sort of 'Anton Pieck'style, know what I mean?

Oops, dinner's served. Later!

Bram

23. Kingpin328

Nov 7, 2003
    #23 Kingpin328, Jan 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Whaddayaknow, already had some on my harddisk, probably found them somewhere around here already before! Hope the uploading works out.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. Kingpin328

Nov 7, 2003
    #24 Kingpin328, Jan 10, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017