TR AC Information Request | FerrariChat

TR AC Information Request

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by Steve Magnusson, Jan 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Looking for 2 things if you can help:

1. While the 330/84 TR WSM indicates a SANKYO AC Compressor is used on TRs, mine's got a Sanden SD-508 Model No. 9295 (which matches the SANKYO WSM illustrations perfectly) -- Could you check the nameplate on top of your AC Compressor and post which Brand & Model No. (if present -- and don't worry about Serial no. if shown)?

2. There's a disagreement in the relative position of the heat exchanger built into the RH fuel tank between the TR OM 634/90 illustrations and the words describing the AC hoses in the TR SPC 587/90 (interestingly, the SPC illustrations actually agree with the OM illustration so they don't match the SPC wording either). My guess is the SPC words are wrong, but I want to confirm that (without hassling to check on my own TR;)) so the question is:

Is the short hose going from the AC Compressor to the fuel tank heat exchanger hooked up to the DISCHARGE or SUCTION port on the AC Compressor head? ("DIS" and "SUC" labels should be shown on the back of the AC compressor head.)

TIA for any help,

Steve M.

2. jselevan

jselevan Formula 3

Nov 2, 2003
    Steve - I tried to crawl onto my engine to answer your questions (1986 Testarossa). I am able to read the compression manufacturer and model, which is identical to yours (Sanden SD-508 model 9295). However, I cannot follow the compressor hoses to the fuel tank. Too much in the way for a simple visual. If I get dirty in the next few days, I will search harder.

Jim S.

3. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    #3 henryk, Jan 4, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Steve: I have a picture of the TR engine bay. It shows an A/C line going from the compressor into the right fuel tank. In the front lower right tank, another line comes from the tank and goes forward. So there is cooling of the fuel.

I have the AC compressor at another location, where I am doing the major on the engine.......won't go there till Wednesday.

I hope this helps.

BTW: My TR is an 88.5......US model.......ALL original.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. henryk

henryk Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2003
    Door County, WI
    The hose going into the fuel tank is the longer one, seen in the upper right hand corner of the picture. It is the one with the longer stem fitting. I have my AC compressor at a different location, where I am doing the engine portion of the major service.

The parts manual shows the longer stem fitting as that being from the evaporator to the compressor...........would that be the return?

5. khayes

khayes Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Kelly Hayes
    #5 khayes, Jan 5, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I have an 86 US Testarossa. The previous owner performed the upgrade to the newer refrigerant but I think the original compressor is still on the car. I just checked the model number and mine is a SD-508 also. Here is a picture.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login