F355 with 420 miles use in 2 Years ??? | FerrariChat

F355 with 420 miles use in 2 Years ???

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by budman, Jan 2, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. budman

budman Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Buddy Delaney
    I am in the process of negotiating to buy a 1999 F355 with 5600-5700 miles from private owner.Service records from Ferrari dealer and owner verify that the car has had almost no use ( 420 miles ) in the past two years.I had always thought that I wanted a very low mileage car but have heard horror stories online of low mileage cars ( belts becoming brittle,leaking seals,tire problems etc ) .I plan to have a PPI at the dealer but thats really just scratching the surface even with a compression test.Am I foolish to think I could drive the car 3000 miles this year and do a couple of track events before I do the major belt service if the PPI checks out OK ? So far I have received two very different opinions from reputable F-Car dealers. Ferrari of Beverly Hills ( they sold the car new and are doing the PPI ) service mgr. says belt service must be done now.Service mgr whom I know here in the south says that if the PPI checks out changing the fluids and doing a thorough tech inspect before the track event should mean I will be ok to delay belt service for another 12 -16- months .He says the belts on the 99 models were improved over older ones and with that lower mileage I should be ok ( of course its my money if the engine lets go ). Part of my problem is the nearest dealer is 3 1/2 hours away and thats a long lonely trip with a sick race horse on a trailer.Am I asking for trouble buying a car with this little use over the past two years ? Would appreciate your thoughts

2. Darolls

Darolls F1 Veteran
    BANNED

Jul 2, 2003
    Full Name:
    Sparky
    First question; what service has been done to the car since new?

3. budman

budman Karting

Dec 19, 2003
    Columbia, SC
    Full Name:
    Buddy Delaney
    The records indicate 6 total service visits for a variety of minor problems such as F1 gear change warning lights,driver seat adjustment,ferrari recall notices,2500 mile powertrain inspection,replacement of dash and airbag leather.The current owner bought the car 2 yrs ago from FBHills which had sold the car new.His lack of use seems to come from the fact that he purchased a 360 1 1/2 yrs ago ,also owns a 246 and Porsche X 50 Turbo ( must be a nice garage ).The 360 was also recently sold ( verified by dealer ).What concerns me is lack of use and no record of fluid changes from either prev. owner.I love the car as it is proper color and has Tubi but I am having second thoughts

4. Doody

Doody F1 Veteran

Nov 16, 2001
    MA USA
    Full Name:
    Mr. Doody
    can you get any information about how those 420 miles were put on? if it was one drive per year of 120 miles that's one thing; and if it was a weekly ritual of starting her up, letting her idle up to temperature and then doing a 4-5 mile drive then that's a different story.

if you're 3.5 hours from the nearest service option, i think you might be asking for headaches buying

as you point out, it's your money if the belts fail, but i certainly wouldn't be comfortable tracking that car if things had been crusting up over the past two years. odds are that the belt WON'T fail, but it's not a risk-free bet.

my advice: if the car is the car you want, negotiate the major into the deal and get it done. it's due anyway, and if you don't have good fluids records and it's spent one third of its life just sitting, you're better off safet han sorry on the track.

doody.

5. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Well, it depends on what you're paying for the car. I think that if he's asking for a premium for the low miles in the last 2 years, then you need to set him straight on your concerns. If it's a decent break because of the few miles, then go ahead and do the service. I would rather have the service done, for peace of mind more than anything else, since there is so much missing in terms of use in the last couple of years.

6. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    Just saw Doody's post. I agree with his input entirely here.