Keep the 355B or Go For a 456 GT? | FerrariChat

Keep the 355B or Go For a 456 GT?

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by papaleo1, Jan 4, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. papaleo1

papaleo1 Karting

Jun 9, 2002
    Papaleo
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Happy New Year to All -

I don't know what it is. I am totally happy with my 355B. The performance is incredible, the handling is awesome, the sound with
    the Tubi is everything I've always dreamed of. . .why the heck do I
    find myself looking at a 456 GT w/6 speed?

I have searched all the threads regarding the 456 and they are all over the place. Some owners are ecstatic, others talk about being
    prepared to own the car forever as the resale potential is nil.

The numbers for a '95 - '96 are realisitic and the cars are ostensibly identical to the current models, except for the "m" interior changes.

Any thoughts? Will I miss the 355 if I sell her? Having both is out of the question and a 550 is still too expensive. Any 456 owners out there who were once in a similar position?

All input is appreciated. Thanks.

Lou

2. Chenrezi

Chenrezi Karting

Feb 10, 2003
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Miguel
    Hi papaleo!
    I'm not aware of 456 ownership, but regarding driveability, realiability and resale values (oh! and let's not forget overall maintenance) my advice would be to keep the 355 for a while longer and then do the "upgrade" directly to the 550.
    In here a 550 is around 20k € more than the 456, and if you do DRIVE your car (unlike many Fcar owners around here that just take it to the beach on weekends) my guess is that you'll enjoy the 355 more than the 456.
    So.... keep the 355, enjoy the hell out of it, and in a year or so just buy a good 550! :)

Cheers

Miguel

3. 355f

355f Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003

4. AnotherDunneDeal

AnotherDunneDeal F1 Veteran

Jun 2, 2003
    N.Richland Hills, Tx
    Full Name:
    James Dunne
    If you are looking at a non-M 456GT I would suggest keeping the 355B. If you must have the 456GT, make sure the window problem has been addressed and fixed with the new kit.

It will leave you longing for your 355B if you are really into the performance and sound. 456GT is a great touring car but is definitely not in the performance catagory of the 355B.

There were electronics and electrical changes in the M cars and the windows were fixed. If you must go for a 456GT, go for the 456GTM.

5. ty (360mode)

ty (360mode) Formula Junior

Sep 25, 2002
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Tim
    good question! if you need/want the functionality and GT'ness of the 456, then it's a great car for that purpose. otherwise, stick with the 355 - much more fun to drive!

6. spyderman

spyderman Formula 3

Nov 4, 2003
    Toronto - Canada
    Full Name:
    Spyderman
    I agree with all the above...it you love the look of the 456 and need the rear seats then go for it...but you will miss your 355 forever :(

7. papaleo1

papaleo1 Karting

Jun 9, 2002
    Papaleo
    Full Name:
    Louis
    Decision made. . . hold onto the 355 until the numbers on the 550 approach my budget. As I originally stated, I am totally content with the 355. . . the attraction to the 456 was "purely physical."

Phew. . . thanks, I needed that!

8. 96impalaSS

96impalaSS F1 Rookie

Dec 8, 2003
    Hell
    Full Name:
    Chris
    depends on what your needs are.If your needs are you jsut wanta Ferrari then keep the 355. But if you want a car you can take the wife on a trip with get the 456.or jsut keep the 355 and let the wife stay at home and clean.

9. mrmckay

mrmckay Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2003
    MD, USA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Personally, I'd keep the 355 but I'm a little biased. The 355 and 456 are two completely different animals. Just be cognisant of the trade-offs between them when you make your decision.

10. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I made my choice (I own a 456), and I love it. However, as someone said they are completely different beasts. The 456 is a wonderful high-speed tourer, perfectly suited for long trips.

I don't see that much difference between the 456GT and the 456M. The front-end stying of the 456GT is preferable to me, with the reverse hood scoops (ala the Daytona and C/4), and the power is the same. The windows can be fixed on a 456GT, and indeed most of them have been. Get a substantial discount if they haven't been done-- the invoice for mine was around $8k, and I have heard that FNA is no longer paying the bill.

The main advantage to the 456M that I can see is the Motronic 5.2 computer. I had some problems with my 456, which my dealer claimed would have been easier to diagnose with the later system. However, given the end result, I'm not sure that is really true.

11. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA

Have you considered upgrading to 456M software? I know with Porsche, for example, you can upgrade your car as new software comes out. Is this possible for Ferrari?

12. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Keep the 355 ! Both cars are amazing but i cant seethe 456 being as much fun to drive as a mid engined 1400 kgs car.

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    It's not a software upgrade, it's different hardware.

amenasce-- on the track I'm sure you are right (although the 456 is no slouch-- I want to get it on the track sometime, but the opportunity hasn't come along yet).

But... that's not what the 456 is about. The 456 is about you and the wife/girlfriend heading down to the Riviera for a few days. Or, in more practical terms for me, heading up to Seattle or down to San Francisco for a few days. Stay at a great hotel-- In SF, I've always been partial to the Campton Place-- go out to dinner, maybe a play or concert, a few museums and of course some shopping.

Lots of room for bags and new purchases in the trunk, comfortable interior, yet still phenomenal performance.

When you get out on the open road and start running through some high-speed corners, you begin to appreciate what a great car it really is.

As I've gotten older (I'm 37, so I still have a ways to go), I have discovered that touring and taking long trips is one of the things I really enjoy. The 456 in it's element!

14. TeenwhoneedsaFerrari

Dec 23, 2003
    Greensboro, NC
    Full Name:
    Blair Salter
    I am a 355 lover, so i say keep the 355! Unless of course the 456 is an absolute need. Your 355 sounds like it is awesome, so why give it up.