ragged out 308 | FerrariChat

ragged out 308

Discussion in '308/328' started by yesod, Jan 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I saw a sight today that was really depressing. I saw a yellow 308 that was in horrible shape. The paint was awful. One headlight was stuck up. It also had dents along the rear drivers side. How could someone let this car get in such bad shape?

2. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    is it for sale?????? if so let me know i am SERIOUS . i work on cars and business jets......would love the chance to save one unless it is too far gone. PM me or post details, THANKS! michael.

3. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    Simple, really. Someone who can afford to buy a 308 but who can't afford to own one gets the car. Maintenance and repairs are deferred due to costs. As the needed maintenance continues to mount, the value of the car drops until the owner is stuck with it because nobody else wants it.

This is especially true of early Mondials, 400s and 308GT4s.

Alternatively, it's a Fiero in drag :)

4. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    Don't know if it is for sale or not. It was parked outside of a shop here in town that works on German cars. I will try to swing by and see what I can find out.

5. yesod

yesod Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2003
    Lakeland,fl
    Full Name:
    Keith
    I thought about that too.

6. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks yesod, it never hurts to ask......

7. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Please do, yesod - thecarreaper indicated a few months ago that he was looking for a project like this.

8. FerrariFrank1

FerrariFrank1 F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2003
    Chicago-Phoenix-L.A.
    Full Name:
    Frank
    Carreaper. Have you ever checked out www.italianauto.com ? he has rebuldable cars For Sale all the time. And is in Phoenix,AZ.

9. atheyg

atheyg Guest

You might check with the Autogallery repair dept in Hollywood Ca, last time I was there 4 months ago they had 2 of the saddest looking 308s I ever saw in for repair, totally faded crazed paint,door dings and complete rat hole interiors.

10. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  11. Dave

Dave F1 Rookie

Apr 15, 2001
    Little Rock
    Full Name:
    David Jones
    Reminds me of the time that I polished/waxed & detailed my car,
    then drove over to the Memphis for a get together.
    By the time I rolled into town the car had a nice amount of bug juice, road tar and assorted dust on it.
    As I was refueling, some dude decides to tell me off...
    "Ya know if I had one of those, I wouldn't trash it out like yours,
    if you had to work like the rest of us you would take care of a car as hot as that, Bla Bla"...
    So, you just never know what you might be looking at!
    To this guy, my car that had been detailed some 20 hours earlier,
    which now had a couple hours of road on it, was trashed.

12. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    thanks guys!!!!! ill check the links asap.

13. Greg G

Greg G F1 Rookie

ROFLMAO!

14. ronsupercar

ronsupercar Formula 3

May 2, 2002
    Orlando Fla.
    Full Name:
    4RE-Ron
    is it for sale?????? if so let me know i am SERIOUS . i work on cars and business jets......would love the chance to save one unless it is too far gone. PM me or post details, THANKS! michael.

Just keep in mind that if the body loks like that, the engine must be screaming for help.

15. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    And your response was ........ unpublishable ? :)

Tom

16. TOM B

TOM B Formula 3

Jul 24, 2003
    Orange County, NY
    Full Name:
    Thomas Buckley
    Hey . Don't knock cars like that. Sounds like the perfect beginning for a race car. SCCA GT2. Anybody up for it . It would make a great winter project. :)

Tom

17. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller
    I've asked the same question over and over. How can someone let a Ferrari go to crap? Last year I bought a '84 308 GTS that was advertised in the LA Times. The story goes... the owners father had the car in a car port in the San Diego area for 10 years! Prior to parking it it was driven hard and was repainted a few times! It was originally black with tan seats with black piping and trim. Somewhere along the line someone painted the body an awful mettallic GREEN! Then again a few years later it was painted red. All without removing the previous paint!The interior panels and leather seats where as hard as rocks with tears and cracks everywhere. And the windshield had a crack from top to bottom.
    Other then having severe physical or mental problems or just too much money, I can't comprehend how anyone could let a $62,000 car go to crap as this car did. (That's what the son told me they paid when they bought it)
    But as foolish as the PO may sound, I'm worse! I bought it! It is now completly apart such as Newman's is. (See 308 restore under Tech Q&A)
    I hope to start posting some photos within a few days. Have'n fun!

18. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    These guys are a bunch of chumps. The owner of the company, buys Ferraris at auctions and either fixes them up or sells them. They are a wrecking yard for all kinds of cars and have a HORRIBLE reputation locally.
    I really needed a part badly, and went down there to inquire aboout the car that was on their website being parted out. They didn't even have it, didn't even know what I was talking about. The car is still on their website.

19. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    hey LOU.... good for you, i am looking forward to seeing pics. unless the block, crank and heads are toast i see no reason why so many ferraris are chopped up. i dont have much room to talk since i do that with worn out muscle cars as a hobby, but geeze its a ferrari!!!! some of the OEM ferrari stuff is crap. it was when it was new and it still is. but now there are many ways to improve things , both performance and safety. i could care less how fast is it, if i wanted to go fast i would get toyota something or a bike. the 308'***** that funny bone for me. ive seen several cars that you could drive in traffic and they were cut up due to the fact the owners could not work on them and could not afford to fix them if someone else did. there is going to be a major shift in this " oil "economy in my life time. its either get one in the next few years or i never will. i hate 99.% of most new cars. they are purposefully made to NOT allow the average person to work on /maintain them. the dealerships are getting more dependant on the service income. i have people bring carbs for me to work on ALL THE TIME because no one wants to work on them. those folks with " means" will always have whatever they want. as an enthusiast, our options are going to get smaller and smaller.

20. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
    jm3;

Thanks for the heads up ;)

21. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    Yesod-

I live in Tarpon Springs, not too far from that shop.

That 308 is a fake! Its a Pontiac Fiero kit car :D

22. 4sfed4

4sfed4 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    And not even a very nice Fiero at that :D

23. thecarreaper

Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
  24. lou staller

lou staller Formula Junior

Dec 21, 2002
    Orange County Ca
    Full Name:
    Lou Staller

25. miked

miked Formula Junior

Feb 7, 2001
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I second carreaper's "good for you Lou"

As a lifelong car nut and gearhead, I have been totally amazed at the number of Ferrari "enthusiasts" that look at ownership from an almost purely financial view point. Buying a Ferrari to just to be an "owner", turn the key, drive it rarely, pay someone to do the maintainance and then sell it does not an make one much of an "enthusiast", IMHO.

I guess those with an automotive interest have strayed from the "hobbyist" frame of mind where the maintenance and even the restoration of a vehicle was a large part of the satisfaction of being involved with the cars. If you didn't have the skills then you learned them because it was part of the fun. Imagine if they applied those same financial rules to their golf game. Don't buy clubs, shoes, clothes or a club membership if you couldn't get their money back when you sell them in 3 years! Hire someone to hit the ball (they are professionals and can do it better) while you sit at the clubhouse bar and look "cool". Count how much it "costs" you to play golf and it becomes very much "financially" unrewarding. The car hobby, like golf, should be done for the enjoyment that it brings.
    I am sure that carreaper can attest to the fact that musclecars and hot rods have also become a "pay and play" scenario as well.
    (step off of soapbox)
    Save those old abused cars, once there gone, there gone for ever.